PDA

View Full Version : Getting enough calories/is fat free bad for you?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

82sara82
Thu, Jan-19-06, 16:45
I have a few questions on which I'd like advice:

I'm on day 1 of south beach. I've had eggs with fat free cheese and green onion, fat free turkey, with fat free mayo, chicken queso soup with fat free half n half and fat free cream cheese, light ricotta and cocoa powder. That's less than 500 cals. Dinner is chicken breats with cauliflower done as mashed potatoes, salad with fat free dressing. Will I even get to 1000 cals? I'm concerned I;m not going to be eating enough. If I ate all that regular instead of fat free, I'm sure I'd eat enough calories then.

I also heard the argument that the stuff in fat free products are worse for you than the fat. Is that true? I've read Atkins and SBD, but both about 2 years ago.

Should I switch to Atkins or just eat a ton more?

CindySue48
Thu, Jan-19-06, 18:52
Personally I don't buy any fat free products, especially dairy.

Actually I don't buy many processed foods other than dairy. Look at the labels on a regular container of sour cream, then look at one that's low fat or fat free.

I don't understand the idea of fat free....unless you're talking about fake fat-free or transfat-free or rancid fat-free or even vegetable fat-free.

There really is no danger in eating whole, natural, fresh fats. Especially saturated fats and animal fats!

Also there's the taste.....fat-free products are disgusting! When I was following a low fat plan, I did without rather than eat fat free products, especially dairy!!!!! ick ick ick!!!! One of the best things about LC is being able to eat good natural fats without worry!

GunaB130
Thu, Jan-19-06, 19:25
DO ATKINS!!!!! I'm never hungry!!! Reread the book, it really is the best! :wave:

JaneDough
Thu, Jan-19-06, 19:40
Should I switch to Atkins or just eat a ton more?
Before doing either, I'd post this question in the South Beach forum and review the book to make sure I'm really on plan. As I recall you use some low/no fat products on this plan but I don't know how much calories or portions factor in. Best wishes going forward. Oh, and check out MY P.L.A.N., to log food and track nutritional breakdowns.

Judynyc
Thu, Jan-19-06, 20:58
The only fat free product that I use is half and half. Other than this, I buy reduced fat and have not had any problems.

Oh!! I also use full fat whipped cream!! :yum: ;) but thats a secret :lol:

82sara82
Thu, Jan-19-06, 22:43
My husband is really anti Atkin's. SIL said bad stuff about it. Neither of us can remember what as I didn't much care at the time as i was was 6 months pregnant and not LCing.

Absinthe62
Fri, Jan-20-06, 05:50
Sara,
I don't think you have to use completely fat-free products. SB advocates reducing saturated fat, but is not against all fats. You can select reduced-fat dairy, dressings, etc and still be within guidelines.

I tend to agree with some of the previous comments... fat-free is just too unnatural. Read the ingredients and compare a fat-free product with its normal full-fat version and make your decision based on which has the fewest ingredients, or the most natural ingredients. That will best serve your health in the long term.

82sara82
Fri, Jan-20-06, 07:27
Thanks guys!

GraceGirl
Fri, Jan-20-06, 08:14
I'm a fat free nut, but 1000 calories (and under) is way too low for anyone. You're killing your metabolism by eating that few calories and that's BAD NEWS when it comes to weightloss and maintenance. If you can't simply eat more to up your cals, I would definitely cut the fat free stuff and opt for the higher fat stuff.

Malinda

dstceo41
Fri, Jan-20-06, 08:29
Atkins gets a bad wrap because for so long people did the "bacon & butter" version of the plan which is NOT what is advocated by Dr. Atkins.

And, as saif many times on these forums, if fat free was the way go so many people in this country wouldn't be obese!