PDA

View Full Version : Glucose Tolerance Test Questions

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Aetheana
Wed, Jan-18-06, 06:13
I'm scheduling a glucose tolerance test (and the insulin test that goes along with it) for Friday. I have heard that the results are messed up if youve been low carbing before you go, is that true?

also, if it is true, what should i eat today and tomorrow so im good for friday? this morning i had a piece of peanut butter bread and a muffin. i was thinking about eating tuna and a piece of bread for lunch and maybe drinking a full sugar coke. i know these arent the BEST sources of carbs...

any other ideas?

thanks and if i dont have to eat higher carb before the test, let me know that too so i can stop now!

Rosebud
Wed, Jan-18-06, 06:20
I'm scheduling a glucose tolerance test (and the insulin test that goes along with it) for Friday. I have heard that the results are messed up if youve been low carbing before you go, is that true?

also, if it is true, what should i eat today and tomorrow so im good for friday? this morning i had a piece of peanut butter bread and a muffin. i was thinking about eating tuna and a piece of bread for lunch and maybe drinking a full sugar coke. i know these arent the BEST sources of carbs...

any other ideas?

thanks and if i dont have to eat higher carb before the test, let me know that too so i can stop now!
You may need to reschedule the test. From DANDR:
Note: The GTT results are not considered accurate unless you are consuming at least 150 grams of carbs for at least 4 days before you take the test. Therefore, doing it after you start Atkins would mean you'd have to go back temporarily to eating a high-carbohydrate diet (and almost certainly regain some of the pounds you have just successfully lost).

HTH :)

Rosebud:rose:

Stardust
Wed, Jan-18-06, 06:21
Hi I have been through this personally, so with my research and help of friends I have found that you need to eat at least 150g of carbs for three to four days before the test or it will be a false high reading. I have even confirmed this with the doctor requesting the test for me.

The first GTT test I had I was eating around 75g. of carbs a day and the reading was around 211 and after that, eating as normal (75g. carbs.) and testing my blood 7x a day for two weeks, I was totally normal (between 80 and 130).

The second and most recent I was prepared. I ate just over 150g of carbs per day for four days before the test. My test was still a little high, but much better. Afterwards I tested at home 7x a day and my levels were always within the normal range.

It's important to carb up a bit before the test, but I would choose healthier carbs, so it's easier for you to get back on program after the test is over. I know the glucose drink I had had 75 g. carbs in it ... it's a shock to the system if you're not used to it.

I wish you much luck. Let me know how it turns out for you.
http://www.tickercentral.com/view/4lem/a (http://www.tickercentral.com)

Stardust
Wed, Jan-18-06, 06:23
You may need to reschedule the test. From DANDR:
Note: The GTT results are not considered accurate unless you are consuming at least 150 grams of carbs for at least 4 days before you take the test. Therefore, doing it after you start Atkins would mean you'd have to go back temporarily to eating a high-carbohydrate diet (and almost certainly regain some of the pounds you have just successfully lost).

HTH :)

Rosebud:rose:
Same source I had along with others. :)

It really does make a difference.

Aetheana
Wed, Jan-18-06, 07:11
Thats all right, then.

I had to schedule it for next wednesday. :P so i should have plenty of time to carb up. For some reason, though I haven't really been on program 100% lately, 150g carbs seems like SO MUCH!

i guess i should fitday it all to be sure im getting that much in.

I swear, you monitor how much you take in to make sure its only a little bit, and then you have to monitor how much you take in so its a lot! wheres the middle ground! hehe. :)

Stardust
Wed, Jan-18-06, 07:16
Yeah, I am not at good at eyeballing what I eat. I must measure and record. lol

150 grams of carbs is a lot. Be prepared ... you may gain a bit. I gained 8 bls. in just a few days, but it came off as fast after I was back on plan.

Good luck!
http://www.tickercentral.com/view/4lem/a (http://www.tickercentral.com)