PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Illinois

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Dennis C
Sun, Jan-15-06, 22:41
Hello everyone! I just found this site, have read a few posts, and already am inspired and encouraged - thanks!

I've been meaning to go on a diet for quite some time. Just so happens, some of my co-workers decided to start a "Greatest Loser" contest at the beginning of January. I signed up, along with 10 other people. We all put $20. in the pot, and on May 4th the person who looses the greatest percentage of their body-weight takes the whole $220. Now, that, along with feeling and looking great is a great incentive :)

I started on Atkins about a week ago. I'm 5' 6" and weighed 222 lbs. A week later I'd lost 7.6 lbs and feel better already! I've stayed below 20 carbs per day, and the only thing I cheat on is coffee in the am, and an occassional Diet Coke. My goal is 180 and I feel that's easily attainable, provided I follow the plan and also start exercising. Before I started, I took a picture of my belly (Oh my God - you never know how fat you are until you see a pic :lol: )

Anyway, enough of my rambling - Good Luck to every one of you and thanks for posting and inspiring all of us - Dennis....

bob2112
Sun, Jan-15-06, 22:56
Welcome aboard. Best wishes on your journey.

rocstar
Mon, Jan-16-06, 08:54
Hi there and welcome. I know what you mean in the picture department. I try to only allow "head shots"...but this past Christmas my ex husband thought he would snap a full length pix without me knowing...then emailed it to me...oh so lovely. I about fainted at the size of my backside. I've never really been thin...but that pix was a total shock. Anyway...welcome and we'll talk to you soon, I'm sure. Angi

Dennis C
Tue, Jan-17-06, 08:15
Thanks Bob and Rocstar!

Rocstar, I've noticed the chart at the bottom some people's posts, that visual that shows their progress. How do I get one of those neat things? (I clicked on the tickerfactor link, but all I come up with is something about pregnancy - don't need that kinda tracking - :-)

robing0110
Wed, Jan-18-06, 00:25
Hi Dennis,
I grew up my whole life in Illinois and miss it very much. I lived all over that state. It sounds like you got a challenge on your handa but I am sure you can pull it off. Best of luck to you!
Robin G

rocstar
Wed, Jan-18-06, 07:14
Hey again...here are the instructions:

go to www.tickerfactory.com and you will see like eight options for different trackers...one is for weight loss. Click on that one. There are several pages of "rulers" you can choose from...pick yours and hit next. Then it will prompt you to pick your "slider"...do the same and click next. Once you've done that, it will say "Done. Your Ticker URL is: there will be an address. It looks like this:
http://www.tickerfactory.com/ezt/d/...blah blah. copy this by right clicking your mouse. Then go back to Low Carb Forum...go to the "user CP" link...top left of the home page menu. Then click on "edit signature" on the left. Once you are there, click on the little yellow mountain picture (the insert image button). Then a dialog box will appear...just paste your link there....hit OK...then "save signature"...that will do it. Let me know if you need more help...my email is: avonbyangi~msn.com. Angi

Dennis C
Wed, Jan-18-06, 08:31
Thanks, Robin. I live near Alton, about a mile from the Miss, River. They have miles and miles of walking/biking trails right next to the river. (I need to start (again) putting some tracks on that trail to speed up my metab.) I've been seeing lots of Bald Eagles on the way to work, another incentive to get on the trail :-)

Angi, thanks for much for the info, and taking the time to type it all up! I appreciate it!

P.S. Three more people at work joined our "Biggest Loser" challenge, bringing the total pot to $280.! That's a lot of steak, chicken, fish, pork rinds, etc..... Also, the results from 1st week have me well in the lead, so far :-) Thank you Mr. Atkins (and the nice folks on this M-Board)!!!

Dennis C
Wed, Jan-18-06, 09:01
Test post, to see if my "ticker" now shows up :)

It did -- thanks again, Angie! :wave:

rocstar
Thu, Jan-19-06, 07:25
Looks great! Glad you were able to get it to work...and congrats on your loss so far. Have a great week. Angi

Laura W
Thu, Jan-19-06, 07:39
Hi Dennis C, we're practicaly neighbors! I live near Coulterville originally from Fairview Heights!!

Welcome and best of luck~

Peachies
Thu, Jan-19-06, 09:42
:wave: Welcome Dennis! Congrats on choosing Atkins, I know it works. Challenges like the one you have going at work are a wonderful tool in your new way of life. Besides it is a great incentive to stay on track, and on top of all of that you have friends who will hopefully encourage you, and you have us! Good luck and best wishes!!

jazzfan
Thu, Jan-19-06, 09:48
Greetings from one Illinoian (is that a word??) to another! I too have been mighty inspired by the Biggest Loser. It's gotten me motivated to get up at 5am to workout before the rest of the family gets up. The contest sounds like fun - good luck to you!