PDA

View Full Version : Custom Food and Fiber & Calories Trouble

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

CLo
Sun, Jan-15-06, 21:18
Hi,

I am trying to add GG Scandinavian Bran Crispbread as a custom item. The Nutrition information is:
Calories = 16
Fat = 0
Protein = 1
Carbs = 3
Fiber = 3

When I enter the item, I get the following message:
Calories = Carbs x 4 + Protein x 4 + Fat x 9 + Alcohol x 6.93

The data you entered comes to:

Calorie s = 4 = 0 * 4 + 1 * 4 + 0 * 9 + 0 * 6.93 = 4

There can't be any hidden carbs as the ingredients are only: Wheat bran, rye flour and salt

How do I enter this item?

2bthinner!
Sun, Jan-15-06, 21:25
showing the carbs as 3g or as 0g? You might try putting it in as 3g, and then putting 0 in the PECC box, under the fiber grams box.

CLo
Sun, Jan-15-06, 21:43
Hi Teresa,

I entered 0 as the carbs and 3 as the fiber since the entry box for carbs is "Carbohydrates, by difference" which I understood to be the remaining carbs after fiber has been removed.

Now that I look at it, the whole nutritional info has a problem, doesn't it? Even if I forget all about the fiber issue, the stated nutritional doesn't add up to 16 calories.

Can't figure that out.

cnmLisa
Sun, Jan-15-06, 23:42
Hey Clo--I just entered it into MY PLAN--

enter in:
Calories=16
Protein=1
Carbs=3
Fiber=3

Don't put anything into the ECC. See if that works!!

I generally don't use the ECC function--I like to see what it (the carb count) really is before the fiber. It does force me to up my fiber when I see it's a little low. It also helps to know how many "total" carbs I really am taking in. See ya on the flip side!!
Lisa

cnmLisa
Sun, Jan-15-06, 23:45
Now that I look at it, the whole nutritional info has a problem, doesn't it? Even if I forget all about the fiber issue, the stated nutritional doesn't add up to 16 calories.
Can't figure that out.

Well yah, it does add up:

Protein=4 grams 4 grams x 1=4
Carbs=4 grams 4 grams x 3=12

4 + 12 = 16

Hope this helps. I eat the same thing, different brand :)

Lisa

Clo--get your bootie back over to the AA and MOMD thread!!!! I'm missing you!!!

kevinpa
Sun, Jan-15-06, 23:58
Hi,

I am trying to add GG Scandinavian Bran Crispbread as a custom item. The Nutrition information is:
Calories = 16
Fat = 0
Protein = 1
Carbs = 3
Fiber = 3

When I enter the item, I get the following message:
Calories = Carbs x 4 + Protein x 4 + Fat x 9 + Alcohol x 6.93

The data you entered comes to:

Calorie s = 4 = 0 * 4 + 1 * 4 + 0 * 9 + 0 * 6.93 = 4

There can't be any hidden carbs as the ingredients are only: Wheat bran, rye flour and salt

How do I enter this item?

I was told these can not be zero carbs.

Here is the thread:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=275057&highlight=Scandinavian

CLo
Mon, Jan-16-06, 00:50
Hi Lisa,

OK, now I'm confused...

When I add a custom food the entry boxes I deal with are:
Energy
Protein
Fat
Carbohydrates, by difference
Fiber, total dietary

It was my understanding that:
- with regards to the carbohydrates, one should enter the difference between carbs and fiber.
- with regards to the fiber, one should enter the total fiber in the fiber box.

If that is so, then I should have
Carlories = 16
Protein = 1
Fat = 0
Carbs = 0
Fiber = 3

That will, of course, yield an incorrect calculation.

I see what you are talking about for showing the full carb and fiber count, but doesn't that cause a problem when used with non-custom items from the database :confused:

I mean I thougth that the database items were calculated on a "by difference" basis. If so, then when I posted my daily food, some of the items would have fiber removed and some of then - the custom ones - would not.

Does that make any sense? Am I confusing myself and anybody else :lol:

Kevin, where did you hear that they item couldn't be 0 carb. If the only ingredients are fiberous, then isn't it possible to be 0 carbs?

Thanks for your help, guys and gals.

kevinpa
Mon, Jan-16-06, 00:52
did you not read the link i put in my other post....it was in there.

kevinpa
Mon, Jan-16-06, 01:01
Here the are:

I could be wrong, but I think the crispbread being a "zero net carb" food has been debunked in this forum.

The ingredient list includes rye flour which according to the USDA food nutrient database is definitely not zero carbs. One cup of dark rye flour had a net carb count of 60+ carbs.

It looks like the most rye flour that the crispbread can contain is 14.6% which would be negligible in small amounts but a few crackers could start to add on carbs for the unsuspecting.

yep, that's the hidden carbs for you. don't forget that those 16 calories are not coming from the air (sorry breatharians, doesn't happen!) even the first ingredient, wheat bran, is not entirely fiber (http://www.calorieking.com/foods/food.php?category_id=13640&brand_id=1&food_id=64742&partner=)

don't worry about it though, 3g carbs is minimal. just don't eat 12 crackers at a time and you're fine.

CLo
Mon, Jan-16-06, 03:08
Hey Kevin,

Yup. I did miss it. Don't know how that happened. Thanks for the information.

So, I think that I will assume something like 6 total carbs and 3 fibers. That would make it fit the formula and it would explain those extra calories.

Thanks to you all.

kevinpa
Mon, Jan-16-06, 03:34
I ate 2 GG Scandinavian Bran Crispbread every morning topped with a tilapia filet when I was losing my weight. I know for a fact that whatever the count was in these Crispbread they had no effect on my weight loss or my blood glucose. Since I was following my own general plan I let my blood glucose reading guide what and how many carbs i ate.