PDA

View Full Version : Give me your advice!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

JasmineH
Fri, Jan-13-06, 14:00
I am trying something new. No meals, just many healthy snacks throughout the day. This is what I am eating in a typical day: Breakfast-3 brown eggs/ cheese, Lunch-bowl of Special K w/ skim milk, Snack-apple, Snack-7 triscuts / peanut butter, Snack-1 lowfat yogurt, Snack-3 slices turkey. Snack - 5 almonds, Drinks - water, green tea, 1 cup coffee in AM. What do you think??? -Jasmine :help:

Qmass
Fri, Jan-13-06, 14:47
I think it's fine to eat throughout the day like this, rather than three meals. Whatever works better for you!

But - some of your choices are not allowed on Atkins and are not low carb, either, like Special K cereal, skim milk, apples (at least not until later in the diet, and then they are better eaten with cheese or something else to slow the absorption of sugar), triscuits, low fat yogurt...

In general, it sounds like you are just trying to eat healthier and are taking the low fat route. That's fine if that's what you want to follow (but it's not Atkins). Atkins is a nutritional plan that embraces fat and protein.

Anyway, good luck whatever you decide to do!

nets33
Fri, Jan-13-06, 14:51
Where are your veggies?

IMO, that menu certainly doesn't sound like a well rounded eating plan to me. You could do much better than that. :) I eat six small meals a day, which takes planning, but is certainly do-able. Set aside one afternoon or evening a week and cook up some chicken breasts, have veggies cut up to take for a meal, etc.

I'm not sure if you're still doing Atkins (as your profile says) but that menu is well over the recommended carb levels.

I try to avoid having just an apple for a snack, I find that it brings on extra food cravings because of the sugar content. It is best to try a mix of protein with a carb if you want to eat smaller meals. :)

potatofree
Fri, Jan-13-06, 18:25
I'd be gnawing my arm off by the end of the day, frankly.

cnmLisa
Fri, Jan-13-06, 18:35
I'd be gnawing my arm off by the end of the day, frankly.
and 10 pounds heavier at the end of the month...

Nancy LC
Fri, Jan-13-06, 19:02
My suggestions are:

1) Eat more protein
2) Eat less refined carbs (crackers, cereal, etc)
3) Eat more veggies

I'd say the frequency of your eating is the least of your problems.

nawchem
Fri, Jan-13-06, 20:07
I think it depends on exactly what your goal is by eating that way. I eat similarly but a little more carb conscious. Your height and weight are such that you don't have to worry that much about losing except for aesthetics. I think your body will tell you if your okay with most of that, by cravings and increased hunger. I would add in some vegetables. Not sure why you're using skim milk or lowfat yogurt. I use nonfat yogurt but only because its the only one I could find that tastes good and has 20 carbs instead of 40 and I only have 1-2x a week. Maybe your lunch could be cottage cheese/ berries or salad or a protein shake instead of the special k.

zorra_1
Sat, Jan-14-06, 08:11
It sounds to me like you're doing something closer to Sugarbusters than Atkins. Sugarbusters basically removes white sugar, white flour, potatoes, and corn. It does allow fruits, whole wheat products, oats, etc. from the start.

JasmineH
Sat, Jan-14-06, 08:24
Thanks for all of your great advice!