PDA

View Full Version : Not too happy ... struggling newie.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

debbiek
Thu, Dec-20-01, 18:22
Hi Everyone
I am so happy to have found this page. I was feeling very isolated with just my book, ketostix and scale. Also feeling really confused.
My first two weeks have been quite rough. My appetite has decreased and I am able to make it past the Service Station without stopping in for Crisps and Chocolates. So that is wonderful news.
I diligently watch my Ketostix and I am definitely ketotic.
My energy levels have been really low. I had 2 nights where I was asleep at 7pm and woke up 12hrs later (most unusual). And early on I think I went through some major withdrawls. Generally, I have been feeling rather grotty. I have been feeling much better the last 2 days though.
The distressing thing is that the scale is just not budging. It shows the same number day-in and day-out.
I am really worried. I don't know how long I will be able to keep this up if I am not seeing the fruits of my labor.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

alto
Thu, Dec-20-01, 18:28
Hi, Debbie -- welcome! It looks as though the scale is moving quite well -- 11 pounds! Congratulations!

The symptoms you describe are experienced by a lot of other LCers: it's carb withdrawal. But it should begin to get better. Taking supplements (check the book) AND DRINKING ENOUGH WATER are crucial here.

If you post a few day's menus, someone may be able to make suggestions, but 11 pounds in two weeks is quite wonderful. Some of that is water weight; it doesn't continue at that pace. Read a few Journals here, and you'll see some people lost next to nothing during the first two weeks, then the weight loss kicked in. Others lost a lot the first two weeks, then it slowed down, then picked up again. Everybody's different.

If you start a Journal, that's helpful too, because putting it all down on "paper" really helps you see what's going on :)

agonycat
Thu, Dec-20-01, 19:20
Debbie,

11 pound loss in two weeks is terrific progress!

Please be patient with your system right now. You are putting in through some tough adjustments. :)

I mean it was a sugar burning machine. Now you have yanked it's easy fuel source out from under it and now it is having to process protein for crying out loud! :)

hehehe Seriously, you are doing great! Make sure you are eating enough calories a day...should be 8 to 10 times your weight, drink lots of water as well. Don't get discouraged.

Welcome and if you have questions just yell at us ;)

razzle
Thu, Dec-20-01, 22:23
Hi Debbie, and welcome to the board. Yes, it is nice to talk to others in the same situation!

To the suggestion of water, I'd add that you should make sure you're getting potassium in supplements or lite salt.

The scale may not budge for weeks at a time--and this is true in any weight-loss plan. When I started, I lost 14 pounds in 5 weeks, then nothing for over 8 weeks! I know it's frustrating, but try to be patient, and if the scale drives you nuts, cut back to weighing only weekly. The pounds just aren't going to continue to come off like they did in induction...unless you're a guy or maybe a female at 22 and it's your first time losing weight. So hang in there and trust that the weight will come off. A year from now, you'll be at least 50 pounds lighter, and you'll have totally forgotten which weeks were fast and which were slow.

EllieEats
Fri, Dec-21-01, 08:21
Hi Debbie....

You're doing great!!! :thup: DON"T get discouraged!!! Thats alot of weight in such a short time!!

The nasty feeling and tired will pass ----withdrawals--- we were addicts!!!
Keep up the good work!! Start a journal and post your menus and whats going on--- theres lots of help here.

Any questions--- just ask! Someone will have an answer or suggestion for you.
Again--- WELCOME!!
Ellie :wave:

debbiek
Sun, Dec-23-01, 17:01
Oh Help!
I am enjoying not being a slave to sugar/crisps etc. And I remain ketotic - but how come and I am gaining weight? Just 1 kg so far - should I follow my instincts and cut back on in-take? Should I increase in-take? I just don't know what to do. I am very concerned.
All suggestions welcome.

---

I have take the water thing on board and I am supplementing (8 yucky pills in the morning).

I don't know how to do the journal thing that has been mentioned.

And I am dying to contact Dr Atkins directly .... maybe there is something wrong with me.

EllieEats
Tue, Dec-25-01, 06:12
Hi Debbie-----
Don't panic!!

Go to the journal section-- where the "D"s are and start a new thread--- this will be your journal. I would suggest start putting your menus in there (maybe from the past few days or so) and then people here can have a look and maybe see whats going on.

You may just need to make an adjustment or two.

DON'T PANIC!!!!

Sometimes water weight adds a pound or two just before a loss.
Get started on the journal...
Ellie :wave:

annalabeba
Wed, Dec-26-01, 00:12
hi, you know what really worked for me, try to have dinner as early as possible before 6:00 pm, this will helps trust me, and something else take it one day at a time we are in this for life, dont get impatient before you know it, you will get there.

HeyCE
Wed, Dec-26-01, 14:59
A year from now, you'll be at least 50 pounds lighter, and you'll have totally forgotten which weeks were fast and which were slow.

I'm going to remember this!!!

debbiek
Thu, Dec-27-01, 16:41
Thanks Everyone.

I am still on program - just short of 3 weeks.

I still have not lost anything in the last 2 weeks.

I just keep hoping that the weight will start coming off (SOON).

I feel like I am a bit cursed.

How can I be ketotic and not be loosing fat? It just doesn't make any sense.

My next step is to put exercise into the mix. Maybe that will help to shift things along.

Have a great New Year.

Atriana
Thu, Dec-27-01, 16:43
Lack of water will make ketostix read a darker color than usual. Are you drinking at leat 64 ounces plus an extra 8 for every 25 pounds you want to lose?

razzle
Thu, Dec-27-01, 21:09
remember, Debbie, the scale weighs eveything indiscriminately. It is not a great measure of fat loss, as it weighs not only fat, but bone, undigested food, water, etc. So you could be losing fat without losing weight. In fact, it is more normal than not to go days without a movement in the scale followed by a big loss of several pounds. The more adipose tissue we have, the more water we can retain.

Drink plenty of water in order to keep from retaining water...maybe cut back a bit on the salt and salty foods, and be patient.

I'll say it again...if the scale drives you mad, and if there's any chance it will throw you off your WOE, get rid of it. A pair of too-tight pants or a tape measure is a better way to track fat loss.