PDA

View Full Version : I want to make sure I'm doing Induction right - help is appreciated!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

mouser
Mon, Jan-09-06, 15:15
Hello =)

Today is my first day on the Atkins diet, and I really want to make sure I'm doing it right. I know it'll be hard for me because I HATE salad and the like! I'm a born and bred meat and potatoes girls - the meat part will be easy to keep but the potatoes will hurt, lol.

I'm also a big fan of chocolate, sweets, and am currently a popaholic... so that will be hard too :(

If anyone has any tips, I'm more than all ears to hear them! Thanks for reading =)

-Mary

Lesle
Tue, Jan-10-06, 06:13
My best suggestion, Mary, would be to read the book of the plan you want to follow. You will be surprised to find the variety of foods you can eat, even at the induction level.
If you aren't a meat eater, no problem, you can have fish, eggs, cheeses, all kinds of things.
Same with veggies. It doesnt have to be salads all the time. Lots to choose from!
Read the book, fill your fridge and pantry with good healthy foods, and you'll do just fine!

bob2112
Tue, Jan-10-06, 06:31
Welcome to the forums and good luck on your journey.

bkloots
Tue, Jan-10-06, 13:32
Atkins works very well to cut off sugar and carb cravings. Follow the plan to the letter--don't skimp on protein (meat, fish, eggs) and fats (mayo, butter, cream, olive oil). Consult the Allowed list for veggie alternatives during induction and beyond. You don't have to eat salad.

There's a wonderful recipe for Mashed Fauxtatoes (made with cauliflower) that tastes better than potatoes. Do some research and you'll find lots of delicious ways to fix veggies. The more you learn, the better you'll be able to sustain your new way of eating for life.

Best wishes.

julia333
Tue, Jan-10-06, 14:48
I drink 1 diet shasta root beer a day...it is made with Splenda. That seems to help with the sweets things... also, some cream cheese, a squeeze of lemon juice and a package of splenda... tastes just like cheesecake...use olive oil/garlic and other seasoning on the meat..how about saiteed mushrooms? Grilled veggie...you can do that on a George Forman Grill.

I use fitday.com and track every bite that goes in my mouth..the first few days it was time consuming but now that most of my regular food is already in there..it is a breeze and helps me plan my food....GOOD LUCK!

mouser
Tue, Jan-10-06, 16:35
Oh, I LOVE meats! and cheese too =) I'm just scared that if I make those the primary staples in my diet, I'll be getting too much protein since I'm not eating enough veggies - there are some that I like (green beans, corn, some onions, pickles, POTATOES!) but as far as the leafy greens... I've tried and just can't push myself to do it :(

Dr. Atkins suggests to take fish oil capsules if you don't like fish (which I don't!) But is that enough fatty acids for me? Currently I'm taking Target brand carb vitamins and fish oil.

Thanks so much for the tips, you guys are really helping! I never expected so much support right off the bat!

bigmomma04
Tue, Jan-10-06, 16:59
Go to this website it as the info you need http://www.the-atkins-diet.info/atkins-induction-phase.htm and this one has a food list http://lowcarb4life.sugarbane.com/lowcarbfoods.htm