PDA

View Full Version : Going back on Induction

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Lessara
Thu, Dec-20-01, 16:25
I know this is a repeat to some.
But can I have a shopping list for Induction food? Please??!!
(Begging on hands and knees!)
The veggies get me confused and so does cheese and dairy.
Plus I don't want to fall in a rut if you know what I mean.

agonycat
Thu, Dec-20-01, 18:43
green beans
yellow squash
broccoli
cauliflower
zucchini
mushrooms
lettuce stuff (you know which ones!)
celery
spinach
cabbage
asparagus

Any meat that is unprocessed. Limit ham, sausage, bacon because of the nitrates.

Any fish, seafood.

Eggs

Hard cheese. No processed cheese.

Sour cream, heavy cream. No milk. Cottage cheese (check carb count)

That should get ya going ;)

Atriana
Thu, Dec-20-01, 20:26
Per updated Atkins book:

Foods to eat liberally: Fish
Fowl
Shellfish
Meat
Eggs

Acceptable food (3-4 ounces per day)
firm, soft and semi-soft aged cheeses
NOT COTTAGE OR FARMERS CHEESE

Acceptable food (2-3 cups per day)
Salad vegetables

Acceptable food ( 1 cup per day as long as salad does not exceed 2 cups)
Non starchy veggies
NOTE: Veggies that cook down (like spinach) are to be measured in their raw state.

Another change in the new version is regarding artificial sweeteners. He has put a limit of 3 packets of either Splenda (sucralose) or Sweet N Low (saccharin) No asparatame at all.

Natrushka
Thu, Dec-20-01, 21:16
Veggies: check out Marlaine's Journal (about 4 -5 weeks ago) she posted a long list from the Atkins site with all the veggies you should be eating and how much of them.

Nat

Lessara
Fri, Dec-21-01, 11:33
Atriana - thanks for the updated info. That really clears up the confusion! I've got to get the new book!

Agonycat - Thank you for the list!! I copied pasted it ;)

Nat - I'll look!

I'm starting on the 26th... wish me luck... good news. My best bud is joining me. He hates being addicted to sugar. (He told me a story of how he used to eat frosting from the container!)

coquina
Mon, Dec-24-01, 04:06
If aspartame is a no-no, how come Atkins recommends sugar-free Jello? Isn't that made with aspartame?

Coquina (confused)

cosima22
Mon, Dec-24-01, 07:25
Great question, I wish someone would explain this too - I just bought Atkins Newest book, and there are some clarifications, new rules and tips in there I think are very helpful.

I have had such a difficult time in shedding those pounds. In the new book he says water (not seltzer) - I have been drinking seltzer thinking it was water.

He also says to limit ALL sugar substitutes to 3 packets per day - and they each count as 1 carb!

I haven't a clue how to know how many aspartamine packets are in a serving of jello...Am I getting too caught up in the details?

:roll:

agonycat
Mon, Dec-24-01, 07:42
I think the reason behind it is this:

Sugar subsitutes to the tastebuds taste sweet, therefore triggering insulin release, even though there is no sugar. It still maybe zero calories, zero carbs but to your body it's sweet and if you have had a blood sugar imbalance this could be keeping you from losing the weight.

That is why they say limit the sugar subsitutes in the diet if you have insulin problems.

Atriana
Mon, Dec-24-01, 08:53
Originally posted by coquina
If aspartame is a no-no, how come Atkins recommends sugar-free Jello? Isn't that made with aspartame?

Coquina (confused)

I don't know his reasons why, other then he questions the safety of aspartame.

He states "Avoid foods or drinks sweetened with aspartame. Instead use sucralose or saccharin. Be sure to count each packet of any of these as 1 gram carb." (page 124)

Also:
"Avoid aspartame. The artificial sweetener sold as NutraSweet and Equal has been linked with certain health risks and should be avoided whenever possible. Although the cause is as yet unknown, clinical observations show that certain individuals find weight loss slows with excessive aspartame." (page 189)

coquina
Mon, Dec-24-01, 13:48
Thanks for all the input!

I guess you could OD on Jello ;) if you're used to a lot of sweets and have to quit them all at once for Atkins. But maybe a few servings a week wouldn't make that much difference? I wish the good doctor would be more specific about some of these things.

Has anyone found Jello to be a stall?

Coquina

Michelle
Tue, Dec-25-01, 22:11
Have you checked out this page yet?
http://www.titanic.kn-bremen.de/induction.html
It has a very comprehensive list of allowable foods.

And, I'm joining on Dec 26th. I made such a pig of myself over the holidays, that I think if I look at another grain of sugar, I'll be sick.
Plus, I feel like I'm retaining water all the time, when I eat off plan.

So back to 20g/day for the next two weeks, with 2-3L water a day, and I will weigh myself tomorrow and then not for two weeks.

Let's do it! 2002 will be the year of the bikini!
Michelle
191/afraid to look, prob about 160/130
Atkins since 11/11/99

JoAnnAtkin
Wed, Dec-26-01, 08:22
THAT WAS A GREAT SITE YOU GAVE TO US!!!!!! I will certainly make use of that one! :D

Jo Ann in TEXAS :wave:

snkhoward
Thu, Dec-27-01, 09:34
That site is a wounderfull breakdown of induction, Thank You!

donnaj
Sat, Dec-29-01, 08:52
Thanks for the information on Atkins update. I will have to found the new book asp. and also thank for the link. I well forward the information to my sister. She is also on Atkins and have no access to this wonderful group.
Thanks again,
:wave:

Lessara
Wed, Jan-02-02, 12:01
Well today is day 4 of my Induction Startover. I'm doing great. This time I'm not doing sweetners at all and that has made my withdrawels much more manageable! :D

Thank you for that great site, Michelle! I copied and pasted it! ;)

Anyone else doing a startover Induction? Curious to see how things are going :)

coquina
Wed, Jan-02-02, 12:38
Lessara -- I never got off induction. I'm starting my third month of Atkins, and the most I lost was 6 pounds. I've gained 2 of those back and I'm still staying at 20g (or less) of carbs/day. This month I can finally start exercising again, which I did yesterday, so I'm hoping that will make the difference. If not, I don't know what to do! :(

Happy New Year and good luck with your new plan! :Party:

Coquina

agonycat
Wed, Jan-02-02, 12:48
Hi Lessara!

I started back on induction today after a naughty holiday season. Time to burn off the last 28 pounds.

I think I finally broke my craving of sunflower seeds though!

Vegetarian
Wed, Jan-02-02, 12:51
I thought you couldn't eat any vegetables while on induction??

That is what is making it so hard for me (I am vegetarian).

I have read his book, and I thought he said no vegetables or fruits while on induction.

Now I am confused :confused:

Rajinder

agonycat
Wed, Jan-02-02, 13:01
Vegetarian, you are allowed 3 cups of salad a day or 2 cups of salad and 2/3 cooked veggies.

Go back and check the induction list in the book.

Broccoli, cauliflower, squash, lettuce, mushrooms, olives, asparagus, green beans are all in there, plus a ton more :)

Which makes induction pretty easy!

JoAnnAtkin
Wed, Jan-02-02, 13:26
I was on the Atkins 2 years ago and lost well, but I gained it all back, just like I normally do. This time around, I plan to follow the Induction and then all the other steps beyond the Induction! I hope I can do it right this time. I have good intentions! :D

Good luck on your new Induction!

Jo Ann in TEXAS

MDukes
Fri, Jan-04-02, 11:45
I will be starting induction again within the next few days. I was not able to pull up the link mentioned above but would love to see it. I came off Atkins over the holidays and have been too afraid to get on the scales, but I know I have put some weight back on because the waistband on my new pants are getting uncomfortably tight! When I begin induction, I plan to be really strict! Will keep you posted!

Lessara
Fri, Jan-04-02, 11:59
Boy am I in the mood to give out lists today! :p

Heres my Induction shopping list:

green beans
green onion
broccoli
cauliflower
Brocoflower
zucchini
mushrooms
Lettuces
sprouts
peppers
radishes
celery
cucumber
Daikon Radish
spinach
cabbage
asparagus
steak
hamburger
chicken
pork chops
fish
tuna
Eggs
Hard cheese
String cheese
parmesan
Sour cream
heavy cream
Mayo
Dressing (less than 2 carbs)
Mustard
Butter
Feta
Macadamia Nuts (I eat these even though Atkins says no, Its a great source of fiber!)
Water, lots of it!

lauraW
Fri, Jan-04-02, 14:02
I am on day 4 also..hasnt been easy, but is manageable..most of the time..I need to be more diligent about my water...its tough for me to get it down..

agonycat
Fri, Jan-04-02, 14:09
Laura, do you drink room temperature water or ice cold?

I found room temp water made me a bit shall we say nausious. Ice cold water doesn't have that effect and I can actually drink about 120 ozs without it bothering me. But as soon as it starts reaching room temp I dump it and get some cold.

Lessara, are you going to copy your list to your journal so you have it next time you need to shop? :lol:

:) Just teasin ya.

coquina
Fri, Jan-04-02, 15:26
Drinking cold water makes your body burn more calories, too. (Scientifically proven!)

Coquina

liddle
Fri, Jan-04-02, 15:46
Lessara,
Yes I am doing a start over induction. This is my 2nd. day. Doing fine. Two days before I started induction all I ate was carbs. Crackers and pizza crust. Nothing else. I am hoping that that little reversal diet and now doing induction will put me back on the right track to loosing weight!

Take care,
Heather

Lessara
Fri, Jan-04-02, 15:53
Good luck, Liddie! I wish you all the best!

As for my list, you should look in my journal I have a list for WOL there! :D

I'm doing well on my day 6 of my re-induction :p
No temptations yet.
Although I was coerced into buying Girl Scout Cookies.
I'm giving them to my gaming group :D

K-Louise
Fri, Jan-04-02, 19:43
Well we call Jello Jelly in Australia (and its not Jam, its Jello) confused.. I know I was. Squeezle (an american living in Australia) helped clear that up.

Do you not have brands of Jello with different sweeteners, I know we do here in Australia. Look for the International codes in the list of ingredients and try to buy the products that don't list #951 (because that is Aspartame). 950, 952, and 954 are ok.

Kim

Elihnig
Sat, Jan-05-02, 08:27
I picked up the very old Atkins book at a library book sale this past summer. It recommends going veggieless for two weeks, though you still get your one salad a day.

Lessara do you game??? Like roleplaying and tactical simulation? I met my husband at the USM Table Top Gamers Society! Now we only game once in a while with our daughter playing D&D 3rd edition. We sure do miss our gaming group.

Beth (Elihnig)

Lessara
Mon, Jan-07-02, 11:40
I do game, I play Dungeons and Dragons Vs. 2 and vs. 3.
I also play 7seas. Its alot of fun. Cured me of shyness. ;)

I was reading about how people drink water and it stricks me how weird I am. I like water that is lukecold. I don't like the feel of cold water on my teeth and when I drink cold water I can only swallow a small gulp while I can practically chug a slightly warmer cup of water. No I don't like it warm or hot. Just kinda cold. If you know what I mean. Am I strange... it would be the norm for me :p

donnaj
Mon, Jan-07-02, 17:09
Lessara,
I would not drink water at all until we got a new refrigerator and it had a filtered water and ice maker. I now only drink one cup of coffee in the morning and then from 9-5 I drink nothing but water.
I consumed 160 oz of water today. At this moment I am drinking a cup of apricot tea. That is my treat for the day.
It doesn't matter how we drink it but we get the correct amount down. I do like warm water with a twist of lemon sometime.
Have a wonderful lo carb evening. :wave:

Karen
Mon, Jan-07-02, 18:10
I like water that is lukecold. I don't like the feel of cold water on my teeth and when I drink cold water I can only swallow a small gulp while I can practically chug a slightly warmer cup of water. No I don't like it warm or hot. Just kinda cold. If you know what I mean. Am I strange... it would be the norm for me

I like room temperature drinks too Lessara. In fact, I never put ice in any drink or keep stuff like pop - not that I drink it - in the fridge. When I drank juice, I used to put hot water in it to make it room temperature. I used to tell people that I was allergic to ice. ;)

Karen

donnaj
Mon, Jan-07-02, 20:08
Lessara,
I am glad to see that your doing great on the induction. I am on day 10 and thinking on keeping to the 20 carb for awhile longer.
I think I have been using to many sweeteners. I have only used 3 today but tomorrow I will try to use none and see if that what keeping my weight on. I have to get his new book, soon.
:wave:

mmmbeads
Fri, Jul-11-03, 00:07
The reason the artificial sweeteners are limited to 3 packs per day is that they contain fillers. Either dextrose or lactose, depending on what sweetener. These are sugars (-ose) that affect insulin spikes.
Shelley