PDA

View Full Version : Going to give Atkins a try.......

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

bigboy
Wed, Dec-19-01, 08:33
Hey there,

I am new to this board.....

I am 29 y/o and weigh around 250. I think that next week after xmas I am going to give atkins a try. I am going to go buy the book today or tomorrow. I have done an extensive amount of looking online and think I have a pretty good idea of the basics of this diet. Right now I would say that I am going to try to begin induction on 12/26/01. I'm looking for any suggestions or comments that anyone can give. Right now I am thinking this is how my diet will start for induction: (please tell me if I am doing something wrong)

Breakfast:
2- hard boiled eggs
2- pieces of bacon

Lunch:
Maybe a small side salad or small bowl of tuna fish with eggs/pickles

Dinner:
Grilled chicken breast and black eyed peas(I understand these are the best veggies with low carbs)

I don't know how long I'll stay on induction. I'm sure it'll be at least the two weeks but may stay on it longer because I have a substantial amount of weight I am looking to lose. Any tips or advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-lee-

agonycat
Wed, Dec-19-01, 08:48
Couple of things.

1) Drink lots of water
2) Drink lots more water :)
3) Try to consume at least 2000 calories a day. Notice I said calories not carbs!

Black eye peas are NO NOs! For one cup of those puppies are around 39 grams of carbs and if you are on Atkin's your total for a day is 20.

Example of safe veggies during induction are: Brocolli, cauliflower, cabbage, salad greens, squash, green beans, mushrooms, limit your onions and garlic.

Stuff like carrots, peas, beans, potatoes, rice, pasta are all off the list. If it's got high starch or sugar, they are not on the diet :)

You can stay at induction levels for as long as you wish. However once you reach your goal, follow the Maintenance Plan of adding carbs back into your diet at a controlled rate. Otherwise you will just gain it all back again.

Good luck and if you have any questions just ask!

EllieEats
Wed, Dec-19-01, 08:51
I've been on Atkins a month now--- loving it!!
First suggestion--- go to intros and post there so you won't get overlooked!!

Be sure to read the Atkins book ;)

I'm not sure about those black-eyed peas--- you better check the book and post that in intro and let someone help you with it.

As far as the menu in general--- looks like you could probably eat more than that--- please post your menu on intro and let one of the "old- timers" make some suggestions!!

Anyway--- Welcome, and I know you will find this forum most helpful and loaded with fantastic, friendly people!! You will get all kinds of encouragement, ideas for menus, and hints to get through the day to day stuff! :D
Ellie :wave:

RickinTN
Sat, Jun-21-03, 20:45
Congratulations on your decision!

caveman
Sat, Jun-21-03, 21:02

saffron28
Sun, Jun-22-03, 08:42
Congratulations on your decision, and welcome to the boards. You will be amazed at the wonderful, and knowledgable people here. Good luck with your weight loss journey.

jers52
Sun, Jun-22-03, 09:09
the date of your post was '01 - so if you are here how about an update??? Hope you have found success!

Jan

RCFletcher
Sun, Jun-22-03, 09:09
Hi saffron28 and RickinTN, Check out when this person made the decision. I think it was in 2001! I wonder what his/her weight is now - are you out there?