PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Again

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ScotZ
Thu, Dec-29-05, 12:16
This is my second go with Atkins. The first time that I attempted Atkins I now know that I was not ready. I was a pack-a-day smoker and had a job that required being on the road six months a year - you can imagine the stress. I lost some weight but was unable to maintain it.

Well, I've been a non-smoker now for almost seven months. I have no problems or cravings for nicotine. :) Just yesterday, my wife and I had to leave an establishment because I couldn't breathe. The smoke was just too heavy in the air. Never in a million years would I have ever thought that could happen. I still travel but believe that the stress is minimal now - I've gotten used to it I suppose. However, between quitting smoking and eating outside the house, the weight built up very quickly. Currently, I weight 225 but ideally I would like to be between 185 and 190. I do know that I'm ready now.

I picked this day to begin because I'll be home for almost a week and the eating holidays are over. However, I do know that I'll be traveling again and could really use some advice on eating out and eating quickly yet remaining faithful to Induction. :help:

scrapbookr
Thu, Dec-29-05, 12:28
Way to go on being a non-smoker! I'll be looking forward to congratulating you on being a big loser ! :)

bkloots
Thu, Dec-29-05, 12:29
Welcome back! And MEGA-CONGRATULATIONS on kicking the butts. If you can do that, you can just about walk on water. LC eating should be a piece of ...well, not cake. :lol:

At least, not THAT cake. I made an LC cheesecake for the holidays that's to die for. Induction legal, and really, really delicious. When you get back on track with LC, you (and perhaps your appreciative wife) can enjoy exploring the wonderful world of LC cuisine.

As for traveling...that's not as hard as it used to be. Even airports now have LC friendly menus. Just watch out for Truck Stops. And most air travelers take their own food now, if they want to eat at all on a plane. Plan ahead. String cheese, pistachios and other nuts (after induction), jerky (if you can handle the extra salt), and other snack foods are portable. STAY AWAY FROM so-called low-carb candy bars. Sugar alcohols are tricky, and really it's best to try to avoid reiterating a junk food habit with junk substitutes.

You can buy the big burgers--just throw away the buns, and go easy on the ketchup. Mayo is fine. Be sure and check carbs on the commercial salad dressings at fast food places--often have a lot of sugar in them.

I love it when my expense account breakfasts include giant omelets with everything, bacon or sausage on the side, and real cream in my coffee. :thup:

Best wishes!