PDA

View Full Version : Long term maintainers: do you find your body more resistant to weight loss eventually

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ItsTheWooo
Fri, Dec-02-05, 23:58
I am finding it physically more difficult to lose weight than in the past.

Now I am not sure if it is because of certain lifestyle changes, or as a specific effect of maintaining an abnormally low ("dieted") weight for a long period of time.

Much has changed about my lifestyle. I no longer walk, I sleep a lot less, and emotionally/psychologically weight control is a lower priority.

Then again, there is also evidence of it being related to weight suppression, as even when I am very good about controlling calories and sleep and walking I find it harder to drop weight than I used to. Also, it seems like the way my body is storing fat is changing - relatively more in the lower body than before (which is odd since this is not supposed to happen).

Kristine
Sat, Dec-03-05, 08:34
I'm not sure if it's actually harder for me or not. There have been times where I unsuccessfully try to pare down a bit for some reason or other. Then other times, weight seems to come off with no effort, like right now.

Also, it seems like the way my body is storing fat is changing - relatively more in the lower body than before (which is odd since this is not supposed to happen).

I would guess this is because you've improved your insulin sensitivity. Perhaps when your PCOS wasn't controlled, that caused a more apple-shaped weight gain pattern.

Jonahsafta
Sat, Dec-03-05, 16:03
It hasn't been harder. But once I get to slim, my body says ENOUGH. I need to listen to my body in that regard.

What I did notice is that menopause causes a real change BUT
L/c was the cure along with exercise. I am now able to stay lower than before with a very comfortable eating plan.

Jonahsafta
Sat, Dec-03-05, 16:05
BTW You are most likely younger than I am, but menopause involved more storage of fat in the lower abdominal area. Other areas I had never had trouble with.

Carrollee
Sun, Dec-04-05, 01:32
Crap I wish... I lose weight easier now than I did when I was trying to.

sxy29
Wed, Dec-14-05, 14:04
I am finding it physically more difficult to lose weight than in the past.

Now I am not sure if it is because of certain lifestyle changes, or as a specific effect of maintaining an abnormally low ("dieted") weight for a long period of time.

Much has changed about my lifestyle. I no longer walk, I sleep a lot less, and emotionally/psychologically weight control is a lower priority.

Then again, there is also evidence of it being related to weight suppression, as even when I am very good about controlling calories and sleep and walking I find it harder to drop weight than I used to. Also, it seems like the way my body is storing fat is changing - relatively more in the lower body than before (which is odd since this is not supposed to happen).

Yes, I have noticed this myself although I chalked it up to a couple of things. I heard your metabolism changes every 10 years, so be being 31 now (28 when I started low-carbing), I know my metabolism has changed. I also noticed as much as I whine about not dropping a few pounds, if I take a look at when I first started I was very good with portion controls and stopping when I was satisfied. Now I noticing myself eating until 'stuffed' and I notice a little extra of this and that all over my days menu. I had to start plugging into fitday and restarted induction again this week to get myself back on track. I have def. strayed off my path. I just think since I have been yoyoing all over the place for most of my life (before low-carbing) that my body is just kaput. I have to stick with something and make it my WOL\WOE. This might not help you in the least, but it's just a few thoughts.

Congrats. on your success! I have been reading your posts before I even started posting myself. You are def. an inspiration to us all and I know it wasn't 'easy' to get here. You fought hard and I have no doubt that you will put up a good fight to maintain. Congrats and best of luck to you.