PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Clawed
Wed, Dec-12-01, 20:18
Just a quick note to introduce myself. I am on a self-created low carb diet, modeled somewhat after Dr. Bernstein's diet for diabetics.

Other than what I learned from Dr. Bernstein's site, I sort of make it up as I go along, but I keep the carbs very low using carb counting charts as a guide. This is not a low calorie diet though by any means - I eat things like Brie cheese, for example, that people on a low calorie or low fat diet wouldn't touch. Whaddyaknow, it works!

Since October 15 or thereabouts, I have dropped from 300 lbs. to 261 today. I still have a looong way to go, but I couldn't be more pleased with the progress I've been making. And I feel great, haven't felt sick at all since starting this.

Best of all, my blood glucose numbers (I'm a type II diabetic) have been low and steady, allowing me to remain in complete control for the first time since being diagnosed.

alto
Wed, Dec-12-01, 21:05
Welcome -- and congratulations. Nearly 40 pounds since October, AND good blood sugar. That's fantastic. You've obviously found something that works for you. I hope you'll start a Journal so we can steal some of your ideas :)

Good luck on your program!

Clawed
Wed, Dec-12-01, 22:33
Thanks!

I think I have a good handle on what I have to do. I have no doubts that I will continue to lose weight, probably at a pretty good clip.

Sharon
Thu, Dec-13-01, 06:14
HI, and welcome. Congratulations on your success to date.

I'm sure everyone would appreciate any tips you've learned along the way.

Looking forward to reading more of your posts.

EllieEats
Thu, Dec-13-01, 06:53
RAH! RAH! RAH! :cheer:
Thats alot of weight!! You are doing great! Please start a journal--- love to see how what you're doing differs from Atkins.
Welcome!
Ellie :wave:

gwilson38
Thu, Dec-13-01, 09:51
That is wonderful how well U are doing!!! I have hypoglycemia and eating low-carbs has been great for me to keep my blood sugar normal.

Leebugboo
Thu, Dec-13-01, 11:46
WELCOME! I am so pleased to hear you are having such great success. I would love you to share some tips. I am borderline diabetic controlling sugar with diet. Here recently, the doc told me I wasn't doing very well with it and suggested I start insulin. I don't want to! (not that anyone would) I started Atkins to lose weight and see if it would lower my blood sugar. I am slowly losing weight, but my sugar level is dropping fast. I am soooooo happy! PLEASE share any tips that may help me with my journey. Congrats and may your success continue! Good Luck!

Clawed
Sat, Dec-15-01, 07:54
Originally posted by Sharon
HI, and welcome. Congratulations on your success to date.

I'm sure everyone would appreciate any tips you've learned along the way.

Looking forward to reading more of your posts.

I think one thing I would recommend is to read a chapter of Dr. Bernstein's book (this chapter is available free online).

http://www.diabetes-normalsugars.com/readit/chapter10.shtml

He provides guidelines on what types of foods to eat and what to avoid that are the model for my own plan.

Leebugboo
Sat, Dec-15-01, 16:03
Thanks for the tip............I am off to read right this minute. Thanks..........I will check back with you to see how things are going.........and to get more tips! Good Luck!

grrlpwer
Sun, Dec-16-01, 04:57
WELCOME TO THE FUROM .......... :D

were all glad you found us..... :wave:

Clawed
Thu, Dec-27-01, 21:24
Well, after more than a week of staying at the same plateau, I seem to be dropping weight again. Down to 257 as of this morning.

I am still doing virtually no exercise to accomplish these results, but I seem to have a lot more energy just from dieting. I hate to admit it, but I had gotten the point where just going up the stairs was putting me out of breath. Now, I feel like I have enough energy to exercise more, though it will probably have to be indoors because it's freezing outside.

I made an appointment to have fasting bloodwork done on Jan. 25. My doc would like to get a measure of my cholesterol. HDL, LDL, etc. Should be interesting to see what is going on there.

Meanwhile, blood gluclose levels are remarkably steady. I am hoping to get to the point where I can reduce the dosage of or stop taking some of my diabetes medications as a result of dietary control. That would be quite an accomplishment, but I think I would need to get down to my goal weight in order to get there.