PDA

View Full Version : Chocolate Mint Truffle Squares

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

tamarian
Wed, Dec-12-01, 11:23
Auto generated link to page (Please do not remove): http://www.lowcarb.ca/karen/recipe058.html

IslandGirl
Fri, Dec-21-01, 17:03
Karen, I HOPE you can help me with this, as I'm drawing a complete blank over here...

Do you know where, in Victoria, I might find ...a good quality unsweetened chocolate like Callebaut, Vahlrona or Scharffen-Berger ? I wouldn't mind a wholesale cash'n'carry source if possible (none listed in yellowpages as such).

I'd really really appreciate your knowledge and experience on this subject!

PS: Callebaut's chocolaterie here in town does not carry Unsweetened, only bittersweet and semi-sweet (which, BTW, I have never quite understood the difference between, but I will look up if I remember when I get home).

Karen
Sat, Dec-22-01, 10:31
Try Capers, a bulk foods store and a few delis. THat's the best I can offer! Sorry!

Karen

tamarian
Sat, Dec-22-01, 17:54
Thanks Karen,

This was so easy, and decadent. Reminds of those "After 8" chocolates. I made it with 1/4 of the ingredients to get a smaller batch.

Wa'il

Karen
Sat, Dec-22-01, 18:00
You only made 1/4! What restraint. Have you eaten it all yet? ;)

It can be rolled into balls too, but it's a bit more finicky.

Karen

tamarian
Sat, Dec-22-01, 18:42
Originally posted by Karen
You only made 1/4! What restraint. Have you eaten it all yet? ;)

I only made 1/4 or the recipe because I knew I wouldn't have any restraint. :)

Wa'il

Sharon
Sun, Dec-23-01, 11:54
What willpower Tamarian!!! I haven't made these yet, but they are on my to do list.

Thanks again Karen for sharing your great recipes.

IslandGirl
Mon, Dec-24-01, 13:24
which I feel I have the answer to in the back of my brain somewhere but it ain't comin' out....

Karen, is there a 'fix' for breaking chocolate (separating of the fats and solids on mixing)? A gentle reheat with a gentle stir? More cream? Urk. :(

Strangely enough, I haven't hit the Deli's and the HFS(s) yet... will do, on my hunt for the chocolate. Thanks, Karen.

Karen
Mon, Dec-24-01, 15:35
If you mean butter and unsweetened chocolate, the best way to combine them is to have them both at room temperature. Otherwise, let the mixture cool and beat the heck out of it. It sometimes will not work though if the mixture has been overheated. Unsweetened chocolate is not as forgiving as sweetened...

Karen

IslandGirl
Mon, Dec-24-01, 16:15
Thanks, Karen. I will beat the heck out of it this time and take more temperature care next time (next flavour). :D

It was super-heavy cream (picked up in WA on last trip) and the unsweetened. I'm guessing the very high butterfact content acts much like the butter.

Karen
Tue, Dec-25-01, 03:29
I'm going to Cobble Hill on Boxing Day and I'll ask if anyone knows where to get the chocolate. Merry Christmas!

Karen

joanne42
Fri, Jan-04-02, 20:03
Karen can you use all Splenda in the recipe?? Instead of part Sugar Twin and Part splenda?

Karen
Fri, Jan-04-02, 20:11
You can, but you will have to increase the Splenda to taste. THe combination works synergistically, so you use less of both. Sugar Twin is also lower in carbs than Splenda.

Karen

joanne42
Sun, Jan-06-02, 22:21
:cool: I just thought it would save on having to buy Sugar Twin when I already had the Splenda but ahhhhh Lo and Behold I looked in my cupboard and there I have a forgotten box of Sugar Twin.. hehe :roll: Thanks for bringing to my attention that it also had lower carbs...I wasn't aware of that.

smedini
Tue, Jun-01-04, 06:06
Hi Karen...I'm really looking forward to trying this recipe but I have a couple of questions. First of all, it says carbs are 99 grams...does that mean for the whole pan? I hope so!!! Secondly, do you know if I can use stevia instead of the splenda and sweet and low and if so, how much?

Thanks!

Karen
Tue, Jun-01-04, 23:43
First of all, it says carbs are 99 grams...does that mean for the whole pan? Yes and remember to subtract the fiber. You can use stevia, just add it to taste.

Karen

lynnp
Mon, Jun-07-04, 21:37
sorry. I was repeating a prior question and want to remove it.