PDA

View Full Version : Orange Spice Cookies

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

tamarian
Wed, Dec-12-01, 11:22
Auto generated link to page (Please do not remove): http://www.lowcarb.ca/karen/recipe057.html

Natrushka
Sun, Dec-23-01, 11:34
Yum E.!

Made these cookies this week, Karen. What a hit. Specially for those who don't like sweets. I went around making everyone try them and then saying "Guess what they're made with?!!" :p No one would believe me!

Nat

Karen
Sun, Dec-23-01, 18:05
I did the same thing too! It spooked people! LOL!

I just just constructed sandwich cookies from the ones I made with cream cheese mixed with butter, AS and orange extract. Double Yum E.

Karen

Natrushka
Sun, Dec-23-01, 21:35
Now that sounds decadent. Posting the recipe soon?????????

BTW, the No Bake Cheesecake was a success, yet again. I am looking forward to unleashing the Tiramisu on my family tomorrow!

Keep those treats coming.
Nat

IslandGirl
Mon, Dec-24-01, 13:29
Dearest Karen,
I made these and really enjoyed the Pfeffernusse flavour (used extra strong Korinth cinnamon and a Thai dried ginger with a kick like white pepper).

However, would beating the wet ingredients in a blender have caused a certain, ahem, dryness, in the end product? Really dense and dry (though QUITE acceptable with cream cheese sandwiching :D as I also discovered!).

Thanks for your assistance!

Karen
Mon, Dec-24-01, 15:29
No, they are kind of cakey and dry. That's the sad thing about LC cookies. :(

Karen

IslandGirl
Mon, Dec-24-01, 16:19
Thanks again, Karen.

PS: I found a wetted fork easier to use than an oiled glass for the flattening... the dough kept sticking to the glass, oil or no oil... hmmm.

quincyytoo
Mon, Sep-22-03, 16:45
I have just baked mine in a 8 by 8 square pan for 20 mins and am going to ice them with your cream cheese filling (thank you) and voila spice squares......Did not have time to make like cookies....They smell devine ;0

quincyytoo
Mon, Sep-22-03, 19:08
Ok I just threw these out :( My tongue is numb and burning and the back of throat feels strange with a strange bitter aftertaste. I have never baked with suger twin or splenda and am wondering if I have just experienced that bitter after taste sensation that people talk about???? (or an allergic reaction.... to splenda or suger twin..) I wonder if I should not have baked them in a square pan???

Karen
Mon, Sep-22-03, 23:09
Did you use the bulk, measures-like-sugar Splenda and Sugar Twin or the individual packets?

Karen

saltnpeppa
Tue, Sep-23-03, 07:36
I thought the packets and bulk splenda were interchangeable? I just went and bought a box of 700 packets.. please tell me they are.. :)

Karen
Tue, Sep-23-03, 08:09
I thought the packets and bulk splenda were interchangeable? please tell me they are.. They are interchangeable but you can't use the same amount of the packets as you can of the bulk. The packets are equivalent to 2 tsp. of sweetness so if you open all the packets to get 1/2 cup, you would be extremely overdoing it in the sweetness department. The bulk has more filler to make it easier to use.

To figure out how many of the packets to use, first figure out how many teaspoons there are in the amount. In 1/2 cup there are 24 teaspoons of sweetness so you would use only 12 of the packets.

Karen

quincyytoo
Tue, Sep-23-03, 08:13
Used the bulk ones. I really think I had a reaction to something in there. The raging headache is almost gone but my thongue has gone back to normal size and is no longer burning or numb and that bitter taste along with the funny sensesation at the back of my throat is gone. Those cookies smelled so good I had had a small square (to test them YUM YUM) the went back for more a few minutes later and bamn .......

Karen
Tue, Sep-23-03, 08:18
I really think I had a reaction to something in there. That's a bummer! Have you ever used either one for sweetening in anything else?

Karen

quincyytoo
Tue, Sep-23-03, 08:31
never use them before at all except to sweeten tea but then used the packets of suger twin......tried spendra once before 1/2 tsp in T yesterday was my first day at baking thus my first time using them in bulk......Ya know I just went three weks with out. maybe baked goods and I are not meant to be.....The low carb bread turned out really good :) :)

Karen
Tue, Sep-23-03, 08:35
The low carb bread turned out really good :) :) That's good news! You may want to try something else that contains less sweetener, cautiously.:)

Karen

forgvnlady
Thu, Sep-25-03, 08:15
Where can I get this Orange Cookie recipe?

Karen
Thu, Sep-25-03, 08:52
Go to the top of the thread and click the link in the first post.

Karen

csolyn
Mon, Oct-27-03, 09:26
I'm dying for the cream cheese butter filling recipe....

Karen
Mon, Oct-27-03, 10:32
:blush:

Um, I never wrote a recipe for it, I did it to taste.

Half unsalted butter and half cream cheese whipped together with sweetener and some grated orange rind. If you apply it to the cookies, keep them refrigerated. In fact, keep all low-carb baked goods refrigerated. They can go mouldy pretty fast.

Karen

SummerYet
Tue, Oct-28-03, 12:35
Karen-

In the recipe for the cookies can you use extract instead of rind for the orange flavor? How much would you use?

Thanks,
Michelle

Karen
Wed, Oct-29-03, 01:27
I would have to say add to taste and start with 1/4 tsp. I use orange oil for flavouring which is more powerful than extract.

Karen

Bebet
Wed, Oct-29-03, 09:32
I made these on Monday, I must say buy the time I ground up the pork rinds, grated the ginger and zested the orange then mixed it all up I was tired!
I just poured it all into a greased (pam) 8x8 pan and cooked it for 20 minutes.
Frosted it with the cream cheese frosting and enjoyed them. My DH likes them as well. I'm surprised. But I also haven't told them it's made with pork rinds either :-)

SummerYet
Wed, Oct-29-03, 20:25
Thank you Karen!
I have never seen orange OIL...where would I find that?
~Michelle

Karen
Wed, Oct-29-03, 22:36
I have never seen orange OIL...where would I find that? I get it here at gourmet food stores but I would think that the big natural food stores you have in the States would carry it. The brand I use is Boyajian. THey also make fantastic extracts but the variety is limited. The fruit ones are amazing!

Karen

SummerYet
Thu, Oct-30-03, 17:15
Thanks Karen! I am going to try possible Trader Joes? I am not up on gourmet shops in my area LOL I am definitely going to try these though

~Michelle

jeanyyy
Sat, Nov-01-03, 23:32
:( I made these today and am wondering where I screwed up - they're not very good at all. I didn't even take them to the open house, they are so bad. Now, I didn't have enuf pork rinds, just a bag of 90 g (3 oz). When they were ground up, though, they gave quite a bit more than 2 cups, so I went with it... Once everything was mixed, the dough was obviously too wet, so i blended in 2 oz of almond flour. Also, I didn't have an orange so used lemon zest. Could these 2 substitutions have affected the outcome that much? I am quite disappointed, I must say!

Karen
Thu, Nov-06-03, 01:48
By bad do you mean texture, flavour or both?

They don't get crisp and are rather spongey.

For the pork rinds, the volume depends on the brand and how finely they're ground but it would have been better to use the full 5 oz.

Karen

jeanyyy
Fri, Nov-07-03, 01:39
Hmmm texture mostly. Mine were more chewy-weird... and you could tell they were made from pork rinds. Maybe the almond flour did strange things to them. I'd be curious to try one you've made some time..

I get my pork rinds at Real Cdn Superstore. Where do you buy yours?

Karen
Fri, Nov-07-03, 01:44
Where do you buy yours? The brand I buy is Sunasia and they're made in Richmond. I get them at Sunrise Market on the corner of Gore and Powell, only because it's up the street.

Karen