PDA

View Full Version : new to site

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

bobbie1022
Fri, Nov-04-05, 14:24
My name is bobbie :wave: :help:
I m 51
looking for friends and support
I am sorta new to low carb eating
I have to start low carb eating -- not long ago found out I was diabetic.
Atkins, southbeach etc. -- which is the best?? bought both books. :confused:
Understand it is basically meat and veggies no carbs
I cannot stand to eat fruits and never do except grapefruit. Am I the only one??
I love to make new friends, get support as well as give it, and lose weight.
I need to lose about 50 or so lbs.
I get basically no support on the home front.
I am divorced -- basically a loner -- and right now feel totally alone.

bobbie :wave: :D

sherbear
Fri, Nov-04-05, 14:51
Welcome! I think this site has an amazing amount of love and support! Good Luck!
Sherry

Jr8Fan
Sat, Nov-05-05, 05:48
Hi bobbie! Welcome to the forums! Sorry about your diagnosis. I am not diabetic,yet, but avoiding it is one of the reasons my doctor recommends that I stay on Atkins. My most pressing concerns right now are my blood pressure, which has dropped, my cholesterol and my triglycerides. They should have improved also. My sugar is of growing concern and he has classified me as suffering with hyperinsulinism. He said either straighten out my weight issues or run headlong into diabetes.

I am sorry you don't have any support at home. That makes it so hard! But since you don't like fruits, that will make it easier! I do Atkins and it works best for me. There are no calories or amounts of foods to count when you get past induction. I like that it satiates your appetite and that you eat until you are full. I stick with the approved lists of foods and I do well with a minimum of effort. My problem with other lo carb plans is the allowance of fruit and whole grain breads earlier in the program. These tend to set off cravings and blood sugar swings in me and then I go off and eat things I shouldn't. By avoiding those foods mostly, I have much better success. That is why Atkins is perfect for me.

A lot of people feel Atkins is restrictive but I don't find it to be true for me. I have a ton of recipes that I have found and that seems to have been the key for me this time. I don't feel deprived at all. I think this is probably true of any plan you follow. You must learn recipes to use so that you don't feel like you are missing out.

You have only posted once, so you won't be able to Private Message anyone for a while, but when you have posted a while, PM me anytime. Or you can post a thread on the Turtle Club board and I will respond. I don't get to check the boards too much on the weekends, since I have a 1 year old destroying my house, but I get on regularly during the weekdays when I have breaks at work.

There will be plenty of support for you here. This is a great place to come for it. I have found that my family and coworkers come and go on lo carb, but there is ALWAYS someone on this board who has time to help out.

Good luck to you and looking forward to seeing you around here more!