PDA

View Full Version : no energy

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

jjb2000
Mon, Oct-31-05, 09:55
My doctor suggested a low carb diet because my last lab test showed high blood sugar and triglicerides. I've been trying Atkins for a week and lost 5 pounds. That's encouraging (I'm about 50 pounds overweight). I know I need to exercise more but I have no energy--much less than I had before (not that I exercised then either). I really really crave breads too. This is the time of year I'd be having biscuits/gravy, dumplings etc--of course that's why I'm fat. Atleast a piece of toast with breakfast.
I now have 1 or 2 eggs and a couple pieces of bacon for breakfast. An ounce or two of cheese for lunch (I never ate lunches). Meat, green vegetable and salad for dinner. Pork rinds for snack and sometimes one michelob ultra beer. I stopped the sugary soft drinks but drink one diet soda sometimes. Any ideas on why my energy level is so low?

sxy29
Mon, Oct-31-05, 10:10
Hi!! I am not sure if I can help, since i have been having the same problem for the past week. I restarted induction about a week ago and I have been dragging...this is just not like me since I am usually a fireball. Today seems a bit better. I just try to eat small frequent meals throughout the day becuase the protein, for me, does help my energy level.

Last week was rough though...I think I only worked out 3 days, but the workouts were very short (about 30 minutes) Make sure you take a good multi-vit & B-6 will help. I also take a B-12, and I do notice a difference if I forget to take them along with all my other supplements. Also, the more water I get the better I feel. If you are dehydrated you will feel a bit sluggish and just off.

I will say from experience after getting through the first couple weeks, your energy levels will increase, I promise:) Your body is adjusting, so don't be too hard on yourself if you don't exercise for the first couple weeks, just slowly increase as you progress into your new lifestyle.

Also, In my opinion I am not sure you are eating enough? Green veggies might help with your energy (broccoli\spinach) since they are packed with nutrients. Hope this all helps!!

mlk18sHuny
Mon, Oct-31-05, 22:18
My energy was also down the first two weeks or so on Induction. It picked up as soon as I added in a snack between meals and drank A LOT of water. Then I had enough energy to go to the gym and going to the gym gave me more energy overall.

Some people say that adding a T or two of coconut oil gives them added energy. Adding in more fat this early in the game would be good too.

foxgluvs
Tue, Nov-01-05, 02:28
hiya, everything points to the Atkins flu, when you first start out on atkins or LC in general you might feel listless and tired a bit like flu symptoms, hence the name. BUT if it goes on longer than the initial two weeks then it might be an iron deficiency, and it might be worth taking an iron suppliment. I had to take slow fe iron tablets (which are the best ones to take as they are slow release and don't cause constipation) but see how you go, you might feel better in a few days.

bsheets
Tue, Nov-01-05, 05:39
When I felt like that I added some more vegies in - like in every meal instead of just at dinner time. It worked for me!

e

nikkil
Tue, Nov-01-05, 09:34
Few things:

The low energy could be just a reaction to switching over to fat burning instead of carb burning.

Go to www.fitday.com and get a free account. Plug in everything that you eat and see what you averages come up for in calories, carbs, fat and protein. During Induction you should be aiming for about 70% fat, 25% protein and 5% carbs and your cals should be about 10 x your current weight.

I noticed that I got draggy feeling about 1-2 weeks into Induction and when I started taking vitamins I felt a gazillion times better! Take a multivitamin, but also look into a calcium/magnesium supplement as well as potassium and maybe even vitamin C, different B vitamins, E and/or fish oils. Fitday also gives you your nutritional intake for the day - take a look and see where you might be lacking. Being low in magnesium and potassium is pretty common on LC from what I've read/seen/experienced. If you start getting any muscle cramps that's a sure sign!

More veggies are always good, IMO. Try having some kind of veggie (with dip if you want) with your cheese at lunch. Or try having the cheese in a small salad (with spinach and different greens) and maybe some chopped up chicken, steak, whatever and dressing. I think it would help you to keep a steady supply of food energy in your body vs. basically skipping lunch.

Water is also very important! Keeping yourself well hydrated, especially since LC can be dehydrating since carbs hold on to water and since you're taking in a limited number of carbs water is going right thru you (as you may have noticed :p ).

hth,

black57
Tue, Nov-01-05, 18:43
Like Nikkil says, your body is learning to switch from carb burning to fat burning. You had tons of enzymes to support your higher carb diet. Now that you no longer consume as many carbs, your body has to adjust and manufacture the proper enzymes which takes time. Some call it Atkins Flu, but it can happen on other low carb diets. Basically, you are adjusting and going thru withdrawal. Keeping well hydrated and adding supplements including potassium and magnesium will contribute to your well-being.