PDA

View Full Version : Atkins Brand Chocolate Bars

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Nando
Sat, Oct-29-05, 20:58
There is one, Cookies and Creme that is pretty good.

However, it says 2 Net Carbs but I dont buy it, Glycerine can be deducted from the carbs to reach 2 Net Carbs ? I thought only Fiber could be deducted to get the true carb count.

Either way, if I dont deduct the Glycerine like the Atkins brand does then the chocolate bar is a whopping 11 carbs or so, very unacceptable.

I would love to hear your take on this and if the Glycerine shouldnt be deducted then why the hell is the Atkins name suggesting we do so ?

Looking forward to your replies.

bsheets
Sun, Oct-30-05, 00:41
As far as my understanding is, Atkins is about keeping your blood sugar levels failry constant. High carbs are foods that will raise your blood sugar by a lot and fast. My understanding is that glycerin does not have this affect on blood sugar levels and therefore is considered allowable to deduct from a carb count.

Every body is different. If you want to know for sure for YOU, do a little experiment on yourself and see how it goes. :)

e

Luzyanna
Sun, Oct-30-05, 11:06
I eat the bars on occasion and they do not hinder my weight loss so far. Everyone has a different metabolism and different things affect different people so find what works for you.

Bobi-p
Sun, Oct-30-05, 11:24
I just take the value given by the Atkins Bars and use that. I eat occasional Protein Bars with 1 net carb and haven't seen problems with stalls. I usually use them in place of lunch when I'm unable to eat anything else because they're portable and can be stuck in my briefcase or purse.

Dodger
Sun, Oct-30-05, 11:33
Glycerine has a low glycemic index but can be converted to glucose by the liver.

bsheets
Sat, Nov-05-05, 02:22
Glycerine has a low glycemic index but can be converted to glucose by the liver.
If that's the case, why would Dr Atkins endorse it? Isn't that the opposite of what his plan is?

e

Jr8Fan
Sat, Nov-05-05, 06:23
If that's the case, why would Dr Atkins endorse it? Isn't that the opposite of what his plan is?

e
Dr. Atkins did not endorse it. However, the consumer screamed for a candy substitute so the nutritional company sold them. He tried to find a suitable bar for people determined to find candy to eat. That way at least they wouldn't derail themselves in their quest for sweet replacements. However, he did not endorse processed foods. He clearly stresses that all foods should be natural, unprocessed and fresh when at all possible.

I low carb with several co-workers and don't believe in frankenfoods, but a couple of my co-workers are on the constant quest for replacements for their old friends.....donuts, chocolate bars, hot chocolate, pancakes. They buy all the low carb processed products trying to keep those things in their way of eating. I find myself suggesting they get the Atkins Endulge or another of the bars in an effort to keep them on plan long enough that they may eventually overcome the need to keep returning to old habits.

Unfortunately, I have found that they often go on and off plan over and over again.

Now that Dr. Atkins is dead, his food company was sold off. The Atkins Center and the food company are no longer affiliated even though they both bear his name. As you can see, his food company declared bankruptcy. There was an intial surge in the desire for the low carb foods when they got very tasty. But I suspect a lot of dieters lost interest in them when they finally realized that they had to cut out a lot of the low carb processed foods in order to be successful. When I was fat, I ate candy every day. Hershey, Inc. was able to do very well for me. I may eat an Atkins bar about 3-5 times a year. If that is the case with a lot of lo carb dieters, then it must be hard for them to turn a profit. I just almost never buy the processed fake foods.

The Atkins Center, however, is alive and kicking! With obesity on the rise in America and other parts of the world still, I think they will be around for a long while.

LawDawg
Sat, Nov-05-05, 10:08
I have found in the past when I consumed those bars, whether by Atkins or Russell Stover, my weight loss stalls or even goes up. My body reacts to the carbs, not just the net carbs. I read an article about how even if the carbs aren't there your body may still respond as if they are.

This go round -- I did a poor version of WW over the summer and watched my weight creep back up -- I will avoid those candies as they really are just a trigger for me to start and over indulge.

bsheets
Tue, Nov-08-05, 04:34
Dr. Atkins did not endorse it. However, the consumer screamed for a candy substitute so the nutritional company sold them. He tried to find a suitable bar for people determined to find candy to eat. That way at least they wouldn't derail themselves in their quest for sweet replacements. However, he did not endorse processed foods. He clearly stresses that all foods should be natural, unprocessed and fresh when at all possible.

I low carb with several co-workers and don't believe in frankenfoods, but a couple of my co-workers are on the constant quest for replacements for their old friends.....donuts, chocolate bars, hot chocolate, pancakes. They buy all the low carb processed products trying to keep those things in their way of eating. I find myself suggesting they get the Atkins Endulge or another of the bars in an effort to keep them on plan long enough that they may eventually overcome the need to keep returning to old habits.

Unfortunately, I have found that they often go on and off plan over and over again.

Now that Dr. Atkins is dead, his food company was sold off. The Atkins Center and the food company are no longer affiliated even though they both bear his name. As you can see, his food company declared bankruptcy. There was an intial surge in the desire for the low carb foods when they got very tasty. But I suspect a lot of dieters lost interest in them when they finally realized that they had to cut out a lot of the low carb processed foods in order to be successful. When I was fat, I ate candy every day. Hershey, Inc. was able to do very well for me. I may eat an Atkins bar about 3-5 times a year. If that is the case with a lot of lo carb dieters, then it must be hard for them to turn a profit. I just almost never buy the processed fake foods.

The Atkins Center, however, is alive and kicking! With obesity on the rise in America and other parts of the world still, I think they will be around for a long while.
I didn't know any of that! I thought Atkins was Atkins, and that's all there was to it! I knew the food company filed for bankruptcy, but I thought that was due to overproduction and the leaving of the fad dieters for ... another fad diet!

I have found in the past when I consumed those bars, whether by Atkins or Russell Stover, my weight loss stalls or even goes up. My body reacts to the carbs, not just the net carbs. I read an article about how even if the carbs aren't there your body may still respond as if they are.

This go round -- I did a poor version of WW over the summer and watched my weight creep back up -- I will avoid those candies as they really are just a trigger for me to start and over indulge.
I don't eat them much myself (keep a box or two in the cupboard for those reeeeally trying times) but I mostly stay away because I tend to get cravings for sweets afterwards. I thought this was just due to ... you know, your body has always been brought up to believe that something sweet on the tongue means sugar is on its way. That's not always the case now but that's why I thought I got my cravings.

... having said that, stevia sweetened tea I have for my long shifts at work don't create any cravings ....

hmmmmm.....

e