PDA

View Full Version : Am I drinking too much water?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

steph0203
Sat, Oct-29-05, 16:26
Okay, here is my question. To put it bluntly, I am peeing like a race horse! I am on day 3 of induction and am trying to drink 8 - 10 glasses of water every day, but I am wondering if I am overloading myself. I need to pee like every 30 - 45 minutes. Is this normal? Is this part of the "water weight"?

KoKo
Sat, Oct-29-05, 16:47
Yes it is :lol: When you eat carbs they hang onto water, when you stop eating as many carbs a lot of that water leaves.

Good luck on your weight loss voyage.

zorra_1
Sun, Oct-30-05, 10:57
As someone who formerly drank only 2 cups of water a day, I would recommend increasing your intake a little more slowly. I attacked this 8-10 glasses of water a day with all the gusto in the world. I felt so bloated, peed all the time and felt like I was forcing the water down. Now I try to drink 1/2 cup or 1 cup of water around every hour.

Luzyanna
Sun, Oct-30-05, 11:01
Personally I don't like drinking water and probably only drink maybe 3 glasses a day. I get all my other liquid from tea, coffee or soda. Bad I know. :o It hasn't affected my weight loss though.

Hybrid
Sun, Oct-30-05, 11:46
I had this problem too, recently. Caffeine makes it worse. Medication can also effect it. If it doesn't clear up in the next week or two, do consider a blood test for diabetes.

foxgluvs
Sun, Oct-30-05, 14:10
If you've just started out drinking that much and are noticing peeing a lot, then it's probably nothing to worry about, your body will get use to that level of water, and I am a fond believer in drinking as much as you can without getting too uncomfortable. I drink at least 100floz a day, and I have to get up to go to the loo at least once a night, but I know it's good for me, it flushes out the fat! The times when my water consumption has dropped, the weight loss has slowed or stopped completely.

mlk18
Sun, Oct-30-05, 14:18
When reviewing my weight loss journey, I too find the weeks I drink the most water are the week I burn the most fat. Your body needs to be hydrated for good health and even more so when you put extra demands on it, like living a low carb lifestyle and exercising.

nawchem
Sun, Oct-30-05, 16:42
When your insulin levels go down you lose water... this is the diet for you!

I occasionally have to drink 4liters/day, I purposely use more salt to try to hold in the water a little bit. It seems like I've visited every restroom in Denver. For me it got better as I went along.

Be sure to replace your electrolytes. Especially if you feel light headed, pains in your legs cause you're losing them with the water.

Cara73
Sun, Oct-30-05, 17:29
What foxgluvs said is exactly right. I try to drink about 100 oz a day, and when I have had a cheat for a few days, on the days I am good and drink all of my water, I'm in the bathroom constantly. And I'm a person when drinking normal amounts of liquid can go about 8 hours without going to the bathroom. What you're doing is a good thing!!! Great job.

Hybrid
Sun, Oct-30-05, 17:35
I purposely use more salt to try to hold in the water a little bit.

Good idea. I recommend sea salt, the ecru colored kind because it also has trace minerals. It's very tasty.

rkemnitz79
Sun, Oct-30-05, 19:38
The Atkins diet requires you to eat a lot of salty things (meats and cheeses)...water is the best remedy for this. Also, drinking helps you NOT retain water, which happens when you eat a lot of salt. Keep drinking...its the best thing for you :-)