PDA

View Full Version : A List of Foods Most Likely To Cause Stalls

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Marlaine
Thu, Dec-06-01, 23:58
I'd like to make a list of foods that are often the cause of a stall or that might make us lose more slowly. Please contribute to this list I'll compile the results and then post them for everyone to see. It's a list that I'd like to have because I think it would help me to remember which foods to avoid or eat with caution.

I'll start it off by listing one I try to avoid.

Processed meats - sausage and lunch meat; because of the salt, preservatives and hidden carb fillers. I'm amazed that so many list among their ingredients - sugar. I'd like to be able to buy slices of roast beef in the deli, but I always find it too salty.

Final list (so far):
Processed Meats
Caffeine
Nicotine
Bacon
Cheese
Alcohol - Beer
Nuts & Nut Butters
Artificial Sweeteners & anything containing AS's such as diet jello and diet soda pop
Protein bars
Low carb food products that imitate high carb food
Eating a wide combination of food in one day
Too many pork rinds

tamarian
Fri, Dec-07-01, 00:05
Caffine and nicotine for the insulin resistant.

Wa'il

EllieEats
Fri, Dec-07-01, 06:12
Too much bacon ( or other salty meats)

Too much cheese

Ellie :wave:

Babs
Fri, Dec-07-01, 06:20
Beer.

wawtigress
Fri, Dec-07-01, 06:54
i'm new and trying to find a dr adkins group. where do i go? but what i do for the bacon problem , i put a little water to cover bacon in pan and bring to boil , you'll see the salt rise to the top. i pour this off and rinse one more time and then put on paper towels to cook in microwave. i also like the macadamia nuts but find to salty . i wash in a colander well then put on a cookie sheet just long enough to dry . they're great and i don't miss the salt at all.wawtigress :wave:

DeeSinn
Fri, Dec-07-01, 08:20
For me, nuts, definitely nuts. The only ones I really like are pistachios and when I've had a bad day (which I've had a couple this week) I find myself resorting to old behaviors and peeling off those shells and scarfing down two cups - definitely more carbs than I need. I use to scarf down a bag of tostitos so I guess this is an improvement but should still find a different stress reliever.

BTW - I see a lot of people commenting about salt. I know this can be a problem but how are each of you able to tell its a problem for you? Can you feel yourself bloated or are you just guessing you're retaining water or what? Just curious because I've never noticed a problem with high salt intake. I don't eat too much bacon or processed meats usually (maybe once a week) but last night I killed a whole pack of bacon on my own. I trimmed the fat off though (yea yea yea - I know I CAN eat it I just don't like it). No problems that I can see. Just curious as to what other people experience.

KASSY
Fri, Dec-07-01, 09:16
Tamarian- You said that nicotine prevents weight loss? I did not know this. Can you explain this further, and how much of a real impact does it have?

PenclPushr
Fri, Dec-07-01, 09:16
Anything processed will automatically stall me. I am very insulin resistant. I have a bad thyroid and the doc can never ever quite get my medication on the level that it needs to be...so, I find it extreeeeeemely hard to loose. :(

It is easier to say what I can eat, rather than what I can't. ;)

The best foods for me to eat are natural, non-processed meats and lc veggies, plain, with only no salt and pepper and perhaps a little spices that are sugar free. Lots of water.

So, to keep from going nuts with this lack of variety, I will usually have a few days of the week that I have a few tablespoons of lc dressing and maybe just a sprinkle of cheese and maybe one caffeine-free diet soda (usually I only have the sodas once every couple of weeks).

I have found that, when I get on maintenance. I will probably be able to eat regular Atkins low carb induction type foods. Yeah! Can't wait!! :yum: That will be awhile though.

Natrushka
Fri, Dec-07-01, 09:38
Originally posted by KASSY
Tamarian- You said that nicotine prevents weight loss? I did not know this. Can you explain this further, and how much of a real impact does it have?

Kassy, from the Eades of "Protein Power"

How do smoking and smoking cessation affect the diet?

Smoking-particularly cigarette smoking-promotes the development of insulin resistance with all its attendant problems: obesity, lipid disturbances, atherosclerosis, hypertension, even diabetes. There is absolutely no reason to smoke, so why risk it? Many smokers fear weight gain when they stop, and indeed, stopping cigarette smoking causes a transient drop in metabolic drive (probably about 10%) which makes weight loss/maintenance a little tougher for a while. Coupling this diet with your efforts to stop smoking makes your job easier-through improved insulin sensitivity and better magnesium balance.

You can read more here (http://eatprotein.com/answers10.html#10c) .

HTH,
Nat

gwilson38
Fri, Dec-07-01, 10:42
artificial sweetners for me. And i find if I have something with it...then I tend to be far hungrier and crave more.

Karen
Fri, Dec-07-01, 10:56
Protein bars. Low carb food products that imitate high carb food. Eating a wide combination of food in one day. Alcohol. Peanut and other nut butters. Too many pork rinds.

Karen

jesdorka
Fri, Dec-07-01, 11:21
processed foods except canned tuna and salmon
salted butter
anything with flour, sugar or AS
peanuts
anything that says DIET,LOW CAL or LOW FAT on the label

tamarian
Fri, Dec-07-01, 12:48
Originally posted by KASSY
Tamarian- You said that nicotine prevents weight loss? I did not know this.

I was surprised as well when I saw that link Nat posted.

Wa'il

Natrushka
Fri, Dec-07-01, 14:36
Originally posted by tamarian
I was surprised as well when I saw that link Nat posted.

Seems I'm just full o' surprizes today ;) The Protein Power FAQ is something I frequent and refer to often; specially when I don't have my book handy.

N

EllieEats
Sat, Dec-08-01, 06:06
This is what I love about this sight!! I am always picking up tips that I would otherwise not find out!! :D
With a lb of bacon in the freezer, I can now do a thaw and have it again once in a while-- great!!
Ellie :wave:

Susanjoyce
Sat, Dec-08-01, 07:45
I have not been on the LC long enough to figure out what is causing my stalls. However I was surprised to hear that smoking can stall you. My Dad was just put into the Hospital last night they found a tumor on his lung he is in pretty bad shape and I would be thankful for any extra prayers.
I guess it's time I stop smoking for more than one reason. But I'm just not ready yet.

Marlaine
Sat, Dec-08-01, 10:15
Here is the list so far. Please post any others that are not listed here now!

<b>Processed meats
Caffeine
Nicotine
Bacon
Cheese
Alcohol - Beer
Nuts & Nut Butters
Artificial Sweeteners
Protein bars
Too many pork rinds </b>

wawtigress
Sat, Dec-08-01, 13:36
ellie,take wax paper when you come home from the grocery with bacon while still not frozen. strip of say a foot of wax paper lay on counter and take two strips of bacon and lay close together but not touching. then fold over the wax paper to cover bacon then lay two more strips on top of those first to pieces with the folded over wax paper over . continue until all the bacon is gone then put in saran wrap or bag and freeze. when you want bacon you can easily separate pieces you need without thawing whole package.wawtigress

grahamgirl
Sat, Dec-08-01, 16:21
For me, it's diet soda -- at times I'd still rather have this than water. Diet Coke is still a major treat for me, though I've really cut down and can go days without. Caffeine might affect me adversely.

The worst, however, is that I'll drink this junk instead of water. Not drinking enough water definitely causes a stall.

Karni
Sat, Dec-08-01, 17:24
For me it is cheese, nuts and artificial sweetners.
And can I include alcohol? I love the stuff!

alan
Sat, Dec-08-01, 20:05
I find that it's the night time snacks that get me into trouble. Take nuts for example. The package says 29 pieces and maybe indicates 3 to 5 grams depending upon the type of nuts. BUT, can anyone stop when they reach the alloted serving size for the carbs listed on the package. I can't and for that reason they are not allowed into the house.

chrisews
Sat, Dec-08-01, 20:30
I'm afraid it's french vanilla low fat coffee whitener. That means probably the artificial sweeteners in it, plus it has 5 carbs per 1 tblspn, I try to lighten my coffee with just 1 teaspoon instead, cutting the caqrb to 2.5. But I have to face it, it's not helping me, i went out and bought light cream which has no carbs. It was my little treat, but now I'm on a stall, so I guess that's it, although I do eat processed meats, I's so easy to just take a few slices of salami and cheese with my salad. I guess I'm going to have to rethink this. :confused: Chris

juicyjacki
Sun, Dec-09-01, 07:33
i found that Carblife chocolates make me stall ... and i am sorry to say that i also prefer Diet coke to water, I know a lot of people say that the citric acid in fizzy drinks can also make them stall.

I think a root of my eating problem is also a shoppping / spending / binging thing. When i was younger i aspired to being a grown-up with my own money, and when my folks had some money they gave us good food as a treat. when i started to work i treated myself all the time - thus i have a food eating problem.

Could be worse - i could be a junkie

Ororo
Sun, Dec-09-01, 08:33
I've noticed a number of people have commented about salty meats. After someone recommended that I needed more fat in my diet, I tried eating bacon and some other pork. I got more fat, but I also gained a pound. Perhaps, it's water retention.

Is there anyway of flushing one's system of the salt. Perhaps by drinking lots of water? Or, do I just have to weight.

I'm so depressed by this turn around. I was doing so well on my own.

gecolon
Sun, Dec-09-01, 10:52
Yes Ororo, You should drink lots of water about half your weight in ounces. I'm at 280 right now so I need to drink at least 140 oz a day. I eat foods with a lot of salt content, but as long as I drink 140oz of water I still loose and it hasn't hindered me. I read your other post and if you are going to do this you should try the tried and true way at the beginning. It really does work and I know it goes against everything you were previously taught about loosing weight Do as you are doing and read all the post. You will learn alot. Sorry to hear about your gain, but read what everyonelse is eating and look at their stats. Drink the water and eat the foods and you will loose. I'm willing to bet my next 5lb lost on it. :)

SusanD
Sun, Dec-09-01, 11:16
Nuts are a stumbling block. One serving is never enough. Bacon can also be a problem if I don't eat it in moderation.

Marlaine
Sun, Dec-09-01, 11:38
Originally posted by chrisews
I'm afraid it's french vanilla low fat coffee whitener. That means probably the artificial sweeteners in it, plus it has 5 carbs per 1 tblspn, I try to lighten my coffee with just 1 teaspoon instead, cutting the caqrb to 2.5.

Before LC I was "addicted" to the Irish Cream flavoured coffee whitener. It's expensive $$-wise as well as carb-wise. When I started Atkins in September I was already drinking de-caff coffee (because of high blood pressure) so it was really just one small step to giving it up all together. I realized that I could not have my favourite creamer in it and be on LC so the only solution was to quit coffee altogether. This was a BIG DEAL for me because I truly am a coffee lover through and through. Funny though...I don't really miss it. Have 'indulged' in coffee twice since quitting (lightened with whipping cream) and thoroughly enjoyed both cups but oddly enough no longer have a desire to have it every day. Guess I'm just a "tea granny" now.

Marlaine

chrisews
Sun, Dec-09-01, 15:01
Thanks so much Marlaine, Actually, I have begun to drink Tea also, but that first cup in the AM, even though it's decaf....it's hard to stop, however, i did try light cream this AM and it tastes so much better than Half and half That I actually enjoyed my coffee with out my favorite French vanilla. And...without the carbs. Wow :roll: chris

lilwannabe
Mon, Dec-10-01, 00:50
For me...it is anything salty...I wake up..and my fingers are tight. I even have to be careful not to salt my food ( I don't use it in cooking)...it seems even a small bit will cause retention.

Also nuts, porkrinds, pepperoni, alcohol, and I watch my cheese intake as well.

sammiejam
Mon, Dec-10-01, 01:14
Fluid retention can be controlled by drinking heaps of water. If you have enough then your body wont try to store it. Also cutting out excess salt helps.

YogaBuff
Mon, Dec-10-01, 08:14
Dee Sinn--

I can tell I've had too much salt if I sit on the computer, with my legs hanging down for about an hour, and I get up and the bottoms of my feet feel ROUND. :p

Also, if I wake up on my face-- my face will be SO puffy, I'm almost unrecognizable! I think this has happened more as I get older, though, salt never did this to me when I was young.

By the way, I'm NOT in congestive heart failure, my B.P. is normal and etc. :D

YB

lilwannabe
Mon, Dec-10-01, 14:31
I don't have any medical problems either...and I do drink tons and tons of water...but my body is really sensitive to salt...even just a little will make me puffy...so I avoid it.

kyfaithly
Mon, Dec-10-01, 21:58
Now you guys have sufficiently scared me to death--ha ha!

I am so new (just day 15) that I haven't even thought about a stall yet. The first extra carbs I added were the Macadamia nuts because everyone on here was posting them in menus and I was soooooo ready to crunch food after induction. I only had 1/4 cup and counted the 4 grams. So I guess tomorrow morning when I weigh, we will see.

I am considering cutting way back on the cheese (I used it liberally, shredded on salads, during my 2 week induction period.) I was thinking that maybe I'd want to up the veggies, etc. and figured the cheese was just not as necessary since I love the meats. I too avoid processed meats . The thing I think I miss the most is cereal, I love Kashi but at 24 carbs per serving, don't think I'll be adding that back again.

I think I'm doing fine on my water, I've had 80 ounces today and I'm sloshing all the way to the bathroom, frequently.

I drink the decafe coffee, several cups each morning, with whipping cream and sweet n low, dunno if it's affecting anything yet, but I'll keep you posted.

gwilson38
Tue, Dec-11-01, 10:02
salt doesnt seem to effect me..In fact I was using lots to RAISE my blood pressure. I switched tho and taking extra potassium now.

anita
Wed, Dec-12-01, 16:11
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Marlaine
[B]I'd like to make a list of foods that are often the cause of a stall or that might make us lose more slowly. Please contribute to this list I'll compile the results and then post them for everyone to see. It's a list that I'd like to have because I think it would help me to remember which foods to avoid or eat with caution.

Peanut Butter -- even the natural kind
Pork Rinds -- no matter how many
Protein Bars of any description

Melodye
Wed, Dec-12-01, 16:57
I think that is the hardest thing for me to do....but I can definately tell when I haven't had enough water.....a tingling on top of my head along with a dull headache.....I can also tell by the scale as the pounds don't come off as fast....

Sarlye
Wed, Dec-12-01, 17:16
I think what stalled me is Hazelnut, Almonds, and Beef Jerky and Steroid Cream.

I find myself knawing on beef jerky as my day get more stressful. Then I crave nuts, then I break into hives from the nuts ,then out comes the Steroid Cream and that's what makes me bloaty.

So I try to avoid things that make me allergic, dust, etc and then I don't have to use my Steroid Cream and I feel less bloaty. The bloat lasts for about 2-3 days.

I find that drinking an extra litre of water helps when you feel bloated and then the next day, you are not as bloaty.

I hope that makes sense. :daze:

It's been crazy at work. 2 days to my holidays....yaaaay

BTW, Happy Birthday Marlaine. :Party: :cheer: :Party:

Marlaine
Thu, Dec-13-01, 00:27
Sarlye...

Thanks. It's been a good one!

Marlaine

Moraki
Thu, Dec-13-01, 03:35
Now I am very scared!!! This is my fourth day into induction and I haven't weighed myself yet but I eat lots of cheese. I mean what is there to nibble on during the day at work, or to snack on than a good slice of cheese with 0 carbs.
Should I be avoiding that? Should that cause a stall?

Another thing is that I don't have time for breakfast, so I skip it. Will that affect my weight loss?

Also I didn't know I could use sweet'n'low in my coffee during induction. Is that possible?

How much weight do you guys usually lose in the first two weeks of induction?
I am scared to get on the scales now and get disappointed :(

dankar
Thu, Dec-13-01, 05:50
Most of the foods I found that stall me have have already been mentioned. Particularly bacon and cheese. One thing that has helped me greatly is not eating ANYTHING after 6pm. Watching TV in the evening and not eating something is a real challenge.

I also began using a product called "Nu Salt" instead of sodium. It is primarily potassium chloride and tastes pretty good. I love salty food and this product is the best substitute I have ever tried. :yum: Dan

gwilson38
Thu, Dec-13-01, 07:32
I would love to try Nusalt but I have checked a few places up here and cant seem to find it. I find it interesting that U cant eat after 6 where as I almost always eat before bed. Thats why this wol is so personal I guess. I am hypoglycemic and if I eat something in the evening I sleep better and to be honest I think I lost faster.

dankar
Thu, Dec-13-01, 07:58
I heard about "Nu-Salt" some time ago - right here on this website. I was unable to find it at the places we usually frequent.

I sent away to the manufacturer and received 3 3oz. shakers in the mail for less than $5.00. (with a coupon I found in a magazine)

I hope its OK to mention their name and address.

Cumberland Packing Corp.
Brooklyn, NY 11205

This company also is the maker of "SWEET N' LOW" brand sugar substitute. Good Luck and Merry Christmas. :wave: Dan

chrisews
Thu, Dec-13-01, 13:32
gwilson, I agree with you, we don't even think about dinner til 7pm but I must eat something before bed or else I'm starving and will wake in the middle of the night because I'm hungry. this was a problem even before I started low carbing. I generally have a cup of herb tea with sweet and low and a piece of string cheese. I keep meaning to try those recipes for low carb bread type things but I'm kind of afraid I'll be wasting my time. Who knows if I'll like them. As for the protein bars, They don't seem to have caused a stall, but I'm certainly not crazy about the flavor, therefore, I'll often have only a third of one, just because we've stopped for coffee and my husband is having a donut. Now adays though, i usually insist we stop at some fast food place where I can order a salad or even a hamburger without bread. My biggest stall so far was my french vanilla coffee creamer, but i switched to light or heavy cream and lost 3 pounds this week so I guess I unstalled. :wave:

Marlaine
Thu, Dec-13-01, 23:53
Originally posted by Moraki
Now I am very scared!!! This is my fourth day into induction and I haven't weighed myself yet but I eat lots of cheese. I mean what is there to nibble on during the day at work

Hard Boiled Eggs
Cold Sliced Roast Beef
Tuna Salad with lots of mayo & a diced celery stick.
Slices of Dry Salami
Chunks of Roast Chicken Breast
Cubes of Diet Jello (made with extra gelatine so it almost rubbery)
...to name a few.

Should I be avoiding that? Should that cause a stall?

It's not a case of 'should' it. Does it? It may or may not for you. If you are going along fine, don't worry about it. It takes time to fine tune you LC plan to suit your body.

Another thing is that I don't have time for breakfast, so I skip it. Will that affect my weight loss?

You want to wake up your metabolism as early as possible after fasting overnight. The sooner you eat the sooner it gets going. Have break fast. Something...a hard boiled egg. I keep a few in the fridge all of the time. Quick easy snack.

Don't be scared. It's not productive. Just follow the plan to the best of your ability and if it's working for you, don't worry about it. If you aren't losing weight, that's the time to consider quitting or reducing some of these foods that can cause slowed weight loss.

Marlaine

Marlaine
Thu, Dec-13-01, 23:56
My biggest stall so far was my french vanilla coffee creamer, but i switched to light or heavy cream and lost 3 pounds this week so I guess I unstalled.

Great! You identified the problem, made the change and got the results you were hoping for. Looks to me like you are successfully working the program.

Marlaine

Moraki
Fri, Dec-14-01, 03:41
I weighed myself yesterday for the first time after four days on the diet hoping to see some difference and to my surprise I gained 400 gm :(

And I was so frustrated and annoyed that I had a coffee with sugar and had a chocolate and then hated myself for it.
It is just very disappointing to hear that everybody loses weight in the induction quickly and I gain!

Could it be that this diet is not for me? Am I doomed to lose weight only with starvation?
I am confused. I spent so much time down the gym lifting weights and doing cardio :(
I don't know what to do now.
Is this normal to gain weight in your induction?
Here is an example of my daily eating plan so that you can tell me what I did wrong.
Breakfast
Cheese and salami
Lunch
Omelette with double cream, cheese, bacon, two slices of pepper and one mushroom
Dinner
Burgers with cheese on top and small salad with lettuce, onion, pepper and garlic dressing
Snack: salami, cheese
Looots of water and some chewing gum
What do you think??

gwilson38
Fri, Dec-14-01, 10:07
Im so sorry U are frusterated but I wouldnt give up!!! I do see some problems that may be effecting your weight loss. U list onions..high in carbs...deli meats can cause people to stall...high in salt too....and cheese can be a major problem for some with weight loss. The thing is too...U just quit smoking right?Your metabolism has changed and will be awhile before your body gets on track. For the next week..stick to very low-carb veggies and meat...steak, pork, chicken, eggs and fish. Dont weigh yourself until after the week is over and check again. Very soon u will see the scale move.

Moraki
Fri, Dec-14-01, 10:30
Thank you for your support , I felt a little bit better after I read your words. :D
I didn't quit smoking now, I quit smoking at the beginning of September and I gained 20 pounds after that. That is the reason I gained weight. I didn't know that your metabolism changes when you quit smoking.

I am quite confused with the low carb vegetables because onion is in the list. I don't know which ones I can have without fear. Cheese on the other hand is 0 carbs and you know that no matter how much I eat I get no carbs, maybe it doesn't go well with my body though. Are you sure we are alloed snacking between the meals or do we just need to eat our main meals?

I think I will try again on the 2nd of January when my family goes back to my country and I am alone in my house again organising my fridge.
But is it possible to gain weight?
thanks again for everything!

gwilson38
Fri, Dec-14-01, 11:09
Onions happen to be high in carbs,,,along with potatoes, corn peas and carrots. This time of yr is hard, so just be patient and go at low-carbing full guns in Jan. All cheese has a few carbs in them but its more how it reacts with each individual. As for the non-smoking...all I can say is WAY TO GO!!! That is so important!!

Marlaine
Fri, Dec-14-01, 11:30
I weighed myself yesterday for the first time after four days on the diet hoping to see some difference and to my surprise I gained 400 gm

Moraki...

I think that you are being too hard on yourself. Four days is really not long enough to make any decisions about how this 'diet' works for you. I'm sure that if you weighed yourself every four days while NOT dieting, you'd find at least 400gram fluctuations if not more. Going on and off diets will only compound the problem so be sure that you are going to stick with it when you decide to start.

Here's a list about veggies from Dr. Atkins that I saved for myself :

<I>You can have 2 to 3 cups of Category 1 vegetables, or salad, on Induction:
Leafy greens such as Boston, romaine and other lettuces;
arugula, endive, escarole, parsley, spinach and watercress;
also bean sprouts, celery, cucumbers, mushrooms, peppers and radishes.

In addition you can have 1 cup of Category 2 vegetables (and cut your salad vegetables to 2 cups):
Asparagus, bamboo shoots, broccoli, broccoli rabe, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, collards,
eggplant, jicama, kale, kohlrabi, leeks, mustard greens, okra, onions, plantains, pumpkin, scallions,
shallots, snow pea pods, spaghetti squash, string or wax beans, Swiss chard, tomato, turnips, water chestnuts and zucchini.

Two special category vegetables you can also have include:
Haas (California) avocado (1/2 per day) and olives (10 to 20 per day).

Reintroduce these higher-carbohydrate vegetables in small amounts when you are in the Lifetime Maintenance phase of the plan:
Beets, carrots, parsnips, peas, sweet potatoes, white potatoes and yams.</I>

Hope this helps some.
Marlaine

Marlaine
Fri, Dec-14-01, 11:41
Here is the list again with a few notes added to further define the foods:

<b>Processed Meats
Caffeine
Nicotine
Bacon
Cheese
Alcohol - Beer
Nuts & Nut Butters
Artificial Sweeteners</b> & anything containing AS's such as diet jello and diet soda pop
<b>Protein bars
Too many pork rinds </b>

I think we've pretty much covered them all now. I'll only update the list if something is added that doesn't fall under one of the above categories. Thanks to EVERYONE!! for participating.

Marlaine

gwilson38
Fri, Dec-14-01, 14:01
why is it that pork rinds MAY cause a stall? I have never eaten too many anyway just wondering. Also I am making my stuffing this yr using pork rinds. Anyone ever try that?

gecolon
Sat, Dec-15-01, 10:22
Re pork rinds. I think it is the high salt content, but I drink a lot of water an never really have a problem with them.

RamonaK
Sat, Dec-15-01, 13:37
This is a great posting.. I can see how the foods people are commenting on can stall.. the salts and preservatives etc.

I do have one question.. because there is one statement.. about having too wide of variety of food in one day? I thought it was best to have a variety to keep your system moving along and not getting to accustom to what you are eating..

No one has commented on this.. any feedback?

I eat the things on the list in moderation.. I have to admit I got over my bacon frenzy.. it is something I LOVE and when I started LC.. and could eat it.. WOW.. everyday for a week.. :)

I have cut back and switched to nitrate free bacon...

It is hard, I find.. for lunches not to eat lunch meat ...i try to get the healthiest as possible..

Thanks to everyone who posted for the stall list..

Ramona

gwilson38
Sat, Dec-15-01, 14:32
I try to eat a variety of foods everyday so I dont get bored with what I eat. I have found a bacon..no sugar and 33% less salt and so I eat that twice a week.

Marlaine
Sun, Dec-16-01, 01:28
Originally posted by RamonaK
I do have one question.. because there is one statement.. about having too wide of variety of food in one day? I thought it was best to have a variety to keep your system moving along and not getting to accustom to what you are eating..

No one has commented on this.. any feedback?
Ramona

<b>Ramona</b>
That was Karen that said that and I read her saying that in another post too.

<b>Karen</b>
You've got two of us curious about this. Care to expound? I'm very interested in hearing your theory.

Marlaine

Michellerg
Mon, Dec-17-01, 10:38
I haven't been on the diet for too long (3 weeks today), but I've noticed one thing that hasn't impacted my weight loss but it has impacted my motivation and the way I feel: aspartame.

I used to drink the occasional Diet Coke, but am trying to avoid caffeine as much as possible. I was drinking a lot of club soda until Dan brought home flavored, sugar free, carbonated water. My first drink was fine. Second gulp was more like, "What is that taste?" and the third swig was followed by, "Could I have water instead?"

I have always been a sweet 'n' low user but I have noticed that I am developing a heightened distaste for aspartame. Saccharin is fine so far, but aspartame really does a number on my stomach.

I've decided to try to avoid it all together because of the reaction I've noticed.

I'm doing a month-long induction since I have so much weight I want to lose, but going by the ketostix, too much salad in one day tends to reduce my level of ketosis slightly.

Michelle

Moraki
Mon, Dec-17-01, 10:54
Marlaine, your words are very inspiring and I will stick to the amount of vegetables you recommend. As you said I was being impatient and because one of my 'male' friends lost 5 kgs in the first week I thought that maybe it could happen to me too but it didn't and I was disappointed.

I really like the LC WOL and I really want it to work for me as well.
I will try and cut the chewing gum completely, cut the snacking and have breakfast. I will feel a bit queasy the first few days but soon I will be looking forward to it, right?

Are you sure I can use full cream and whipping cream? I am still afraid of using them :confused:

I am eating less this week but I will be back on the plan on the 2nd of January.

By the way this is a great website :thup:
Merry Christmas to you all
Moraki

purt
Mon, Dec-17-01, 18:43
I've always wondered why these practically put me out of ketosis, then on one of these threads I found the hidden carb counter--I was amazed to find Dr. Atkins bar had 10 carbs when it states it only has 2.5. That just amazes me, particularly when it is designed specifically for his low carb program.

Marlaine
Tue, Dec-18-01, 01:05
I really like the LC WOL and I really want it to work for me as well.
I will try and cut the chewing gum completely, cut the snacking and have breakfast. I will feel a bit queasy the first few days but soon I will be looking forward to it, right?

YES!! you will feel better and better the longer you stick with the plan. And the closer you stick to it, the sooner you'll get feeling better. The queasiness goes away.

Are you sure I can use full cream and whipping cream? [/B]

Positive. Just don't forget to count the carbs. Have you taken a look at www.fitday.com ? I sure makes keeping track of everything easy.

Consider starting a journal here too. It will give everyone a place to visit you and encourage you too. You can do it! Just like the rest of us here are doing it, one foot in front of the other, one day at a time.

Marlaine

kyfaithly
Tue, Dec-18-01, 07:50
:read2: I see that you are frustrated about a gain, but you are lifting and doing cardio??

I'm no expert, but doesn't the old saying "muscle weighs more than fat" apply here??

Could that be the reason for your gain, and you are losing inches instead. If you keep with the program and exercise, the scale will have to move down, down baby :D

Moraki
Tue, Dec-18-01, 08:02
I wish you were right kyfaithly, but I don't think that I can gain muscle in four days, I wish I could. I think it is just that I was impatient or that I ate something that stalled my weight loss or even that my metabolism is quite... how can I put this....malfuntional due to LOTS of dieting when I was younger.

I will cut down on lifting weights and up the cardio so I can get rid of more calories per session. My muscles are quite strong because I have been working out for quite a long time but they are covered with what I will get rid of with the LC WOL :D Being able to see my muscles toned is the second reason I want to lose that extra weight

On the Atkins diet am I in danger of losing muscle tissue as well?

Moraki

Chrissy
Tue, Dec-18-01, 17:20
This is just my long 2 cents, but the beauty of low carb diets is that you shouldn’t (for most of us anyways) have to reduce or even count calories. The only things you should be watching real, real, close is your CARBS. Remember if you follow this plan to a “T”, that means "NO" cheating, and your only consuming the required amount of carbs that your body can handle to continue to lose weigh, your CCL (critical carb level) your insulin will remain fairly level, and the extra fat will not be created or stored. Conversely, the body must burn fat reserves for energy, your glucagon (your other hormone) will use those extra calories from protein and fat towards your energy. In other words it can’t be stored as body fat, glucagon shifts your metabolism into a burning mode, (a fat burning machine) which converts fats to ketones and send them to your tissues(muscle) for energy, also glucagon will release fat from all those fat cells that were being stored for so long for energy, get my drift???? lol
However if you are consuming too many carbs, (watch those hidden carbs), sneaking a little of that and a little of this, thinking its just a small amount and it can't hurt, well, it does, you can not have it both ways on this WOE, your body will be storing those extra calories for back up storage as fat, basically the sugars in high carbohydrate foods prompt the body to elevate insulin levels unnecessarily, which result is the creation and storing of unneeded fat (PEROID!).
....... Eating the required amount of calories for your size (body weight) is used up very fast on a daily basis, I don’t worry, if you are an active person you can easily burn off those calories. I am heavy to begin with, so I need more calories to function, I work at a job that I’m basically running on my feet all day for 8 hours x 5 days a week, so I need more, I also have a casual job working from 2-4 shifts a week for 4 hours, so I need more, and I also workout strength training with free weights, or do aerobics or cardio every evening for 40-60 minutes a day, so I will need more calories. By all means this doesn’t give anyone a licence to eat a dozen eggs and a lb of bacon and a couple of steaks everyday. Besides not once have I ever heard of a person binging out on protein here at this club. LOL ....
I eat 3 square healthy LC meals, breakfast, lunch and dinner, and 2 snacks which adds up to 30-35 gms for the day, with that I am satisfied, not full, and losing weight or inches at the same time. If my body tells me that I am hungry, I will eat more protein. If Im craving something sugary, which is verrrrry seldom now a days......and I've already ate my desserts for the week, I will eat protien. It's not what I really want or what my brain wants, but it does stops the cravings. And cravings usually lead to binging for me and protein controls the cravings.
You really have to listen to your body on this new way of eating, learn to tell the difference between real cravings and hunger. But what ever you do, do not let yourself go hungry, otherwise your body will go into a starvation mode, and you’ll stop losing weight. I know when I am hungry, I get a headache, I can hear my stomach growling and I feel weak with no energy. Cravings to me, is just a trigger of some kind of temptation, sight, smell, enviroment, etc. but usually passes. It could mean that something I ate beforehand has risen my insulin too.
On the other hand some folks consider or have to individualized the program to their needs, now or down the road, you just have to monitor carefully each week, and adjust it according to your body needs. Accommodating to lower carbs, maybe low calorie, or low-fat, or taking this and that food out, not eating LC bars, shakes, cheese, nuts, or maybe not drinking diet pop or coffee due to individual stalls, everyone is different I guess and each one of us had our own Yin and Yang metabolism.

Take care everyone :wave:

Chrissy
Tue, Dec-18-01, 17:24
Your body is different from everyone else's. You may have to figure
out what the conditions are that make it work at optimum.

35 questions to think about if you think you are stalled:

1. Are you eating enough ?
2. Are you eating too much ?
3. Are you counting your carbs or could you be getting more
(hidden) carbs than you realize ?
4. Are you eating something regularly that you might have an
allergy to ?
5. Are you eating too much of a high-calorie or high-carb but legal
food ?
6. Are you using a lot of Artificial Sweetener ?
7. Are you making too many legal treats ?
8. Are you eating Atkins Bars and could you be sensitive to
glycerine ?
9. Are you drinking a lot of sodas, tea, coffee, etc ?
10. Are you drinking enough water ?
11. Are you eating too much or too little salt ?
12. Are you taking in too many nitrates, too much glycerine, citric
acid or other substances that people relate to stalling ?
13. Are you prone to yeast infections and could you possibly have
candida ?
14. Are you getting any exercise ?
15. Are you at a weight where you stayed for a long time in the past
where you possibly have a set point ?
16. Are you cheating a lot (because a cheat can slow you down for as
much as two weeks each time) ?
17. Are you getting too many of your carbohydrates from
non-vegetable sources ?
18. Are you getting hidden sugar ?
19. Are you eating too many dairy products ?
20. Are you getting close to goal weight where weight loss usually
slows way down ?
21. Are you eating too many processed meats ?
22. Are you taking vitamin supplements to alleviate any deficiencies
?
23. Are you varying your menu or eating the same thing every day ?
24. Are you taking medications that might prevent or slow down
weight-loss ?
25. Are you eating too much or too little protein ?
26. Are you eating too many low-quality (solid) fats ?
27. Are you getting your Omega-3's ?
28. Are you getting enough Fibre ?
29. Are you varying your carb quantities too much or too little ?
30. Are you eating too often or not often enough ?
31. Are you staying in ketosis ?
32. Are you getting too much caffeine ?
33. Are you regularly exceeding your critical carbohydrate limit ?
34. Are you eating a lot of food additives ?
35. Are you still smoking ?

Marlaine
Wed, Dec-19-01, 00:32
Chrissy.....

Great list of questions!

M

Lessara
Wed, Dec-19-01, 12:26
Oh do I have questions! :D

I was trying to answer some of the questions and got hung up on some:

a. What are high calorie legal foods allowed on Atkins? Do you mean cream cheese?

b. How much is too much caffeene? I drink 5 mugs a week. (a mug has about 12oz, which at most I drink 1 a day during the weekdays)

c. How much is too much Dairy?

d. Can you give me examples of low-quality solid fats?

Thanks! If anyone else knows, jump on! :p

razzle
Wed, Dec-19-01, 13:35
I find that moderate amounts of all these listed food do NOT stall me...but the problem is, calories do count, especially for those of us who aren't very much over our goal weight...so if i get either too many carbs or too many calories, I stall.

The trick for me is finding those foods that I am apparently allergic/addicted to: cream cheese, cashews, artificial sweeteners for me. Any of these foods can cause me to continue to wander back into the kitchen to look for 'just a little more' of them, even right after a meal.

I make myself a deal when I buy these--buy only small amounts! An ounce of cashews, a 3-oz package of cream cheese, a single six-pack of Diet Rite, rationed over a week, and then I don't buy them again the next week. I still lose slowly, but I don't really stall.

Chrissy
Wed, Dec-19-01, 15:32
Lessara,

What are high calorie legal foods allowed on Atkins? Do you mean cream cheese? Yes, nuts, cheese, cream cheese, cold cuts, bacon is examples, if your stalling, take one of these foods out for a week and see what happens. Again to each individual, these foods could be the culprit.

Are you eating too many low-quality (solid) fats ? Meaning, saturated fats, animal fat, lard, butter, solid in room temperature.......good fats are vegetable base oils, olive oil, nut oil, such as peanut oil, etc. I don’t worry about either fat right now, fat doesn’t make you fat, as long as your following the plan by staying at your CCL. However, I’m sure though when I get down closer to my weight, I will have to watch my calories witch means cutting back on fat too.

Are you eating too many dairy products ? Natural yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese, buttermilk, milk, etc. Everyone is different, you maybe able to consume 40 gms a day of these products, and maybe not at all. Make sure you count every carb and measure these foods.

Caffeine, to some folks it raises there insulin, to some folks it doesn’t, in moderation is the key, if your still losing, then 5 mugs a week is probably not hurting you. If your stalling, maybe you will have to cut back, or cut it out completely from your diet.
I completely cut caffeine out of WOE, I was never a big coffee drinker anyways. I’m content with decaf if we have visitors over or if I’m out.

Everyone is different, you basically have to monitor each food and make your own personal WOE out LC.

To some folks, they zip right through to their goal, not having to worry about any foods, to some we have to be careful :(

Take care, and Merry Christmas :wave:

zellie
Thu, Dec-20-01, 18:22
Read on another bulletin board a lot of low carb or SF products contain glycerine, and claiming the body treats glycerine just
like sugar and stores it as fat.
There was a link too:

http://www.sunvalleylabs.com/nutritionalinfo.html

IslandGirl
Thu, Dec-20-01, 22:32
There's a LOT of valuable information about Glycerin/Glycerine and other 'sugar alcohols' right here on this site.

A Search of this Forum gets you a ton of valuable discussion (use 'glycerin' as the search keyword).

And there's a fabulous article written by our own Doreen T, SuperWoman :D over there for quick access on the right side of your screen: The truth about low carb sweeteners info, including the sugar alcohols and all kinds of sweeteners, both the AS(s) and the Bulk Sweeteners!

Well worth the time.

zellie
Fri, Dec-21-01, 06:02
Thanks IslandGirl, glad I decided this time around to stay away from all bars and shakes. I've hated them in the past, left me feeling starving, and encourage a desire for sweet flavored things.

the_jrowl
Sun, Dec-23-01, 09:54
Hi, I have been on the Atkins for almost a week now. In his book he recommends eating bacon, cheese and other foods that people here say they stall on. He also says to consume alot more fat than protein and recommends people to buy the cheap fatty streaky bacon and eat the fat which most people here gag on when thinking about it. I think that it might not be the food as such which are causing people to stall, but the amount of fat to protein in the food. Alot of this diet is meat, and you get alot protein from them. I'm not sure of the exact details, but cheese is 1/2 fat and 1/2 protein, and alot of meats have more protein than fat. Atkins recommends to consume more fat than protein and alot of people it seems are eating roughly 1/2 and 1/2. I think what could be stalling the people here is large amount of proteins compared to fats they are eating.

Much like in low fat dieting, the person would be consuming alot more carbs than protein, and no where near the amount of protein the people here are eating. Maybe some people have not changed the way they think about fat properly for the diet. Fat is the same as Carbs in this diet. It is your fuel source, not the protein. A person on a low fat diet doesn't eat 1/2 carbs and 1/2 protein or they would most likely gain more weight. Protein contains more calories than fat if it is burn't by the body and used as fuel. I think it is in the ratio units of carb=1 cal, fat = 2 cals, and protein = 9 cals. Also many people agree that the US food pyrimid recommends too much protein for the average american diet, and that people can live perfectly well with lower amounts of protein. Protein gets re-used and re-used in the body, none of it is wasted in the human body, and it's this fact that many people question the high protein US pyrimid recommendation. If you have too much protein, it will be burn't and used as fuel and converted into high volume calories.

Don't quote me on this, as I can't remember the exact details from the book (I'm pretty sure it's right), but Atkins did stress to eat alot more fat than protein in the diet.

Chicken nowadays doesn't really have much fat in it, more protein. Maybe a good way to increase fat in the diet is to cut meat into strips or small chunks so that you can cook it in a frying pan in some heathly oil so it will have more surface area to absorb fat.

Also, I have found protein foods with high fat more filling than normal meats by cooking the way I have described and you don't seem to eat as much. If you have some Shaved ham from the supermarket for example, instead of eating it cold, poor some oil and butter in a frying pan and give each side a quick tan. Tastes great using butter and turkey strips too. It's very tasty and filling and you won't eat nearly as much of the meat to feel satisfied.

Does anyone here think it could be becuase of this higher protein to fat ratio or is it accually something else in the foods (like chemicals which we havn't discoved yet in innocent food like cheese and bacon rinds) which is causing people to stall?

gecolon
Sun, Dec-23-01, 11:02
~the_jrowl
I seriously think that it is the salt content. All of those foods are high in sodium, which makes people retain water. Even if you are drinking you daily requirement of water you should probably drink a little more if you are eating foods that have a high salt content. I for one eat a lot of cheese, cream, bacon and pork rinds. If I slack up on the extra water the scales don't move.
I think there are also some foods or combination of legal foods that make (?) people over eat. The types vary on what sets each individual off [the taste, the feel or the consistency of certain foods]. Example I love baked macaroni and cheese (homemade). Since everything except the macaroni is legal (eggs, heavy cream, and cheese) I make the same thing but substitute cauliflower for the macaroni and add meat. It tastes really good and it has the same consistency as the mac and cheese. When I eat this it makes me think that I am eating something hi carb and I tend to eat maybe too much, which doesn't make me gain, but it doesn't help me to loose. Just my most humble opinion.

chrisews
Sun, Dec-23-01, 15:14
[

. Protein contains more calories than fat if it is burn't by the body and used as fuel. I think it is in the ratio units of carb=1 cal, fat = 2 cals, and protein = 9 cals.

j_rowl, I've never heard this, actually, if I'm not mistaken, Carbs and protein both have 4 calories and fat has 9 per gram unless you are saying something different here. also, having read Atkins as well, I don't recall his saying you should be eating more fat than protein, It's just that if you eat reduced fat items, the fat has usually been replaced with carbohydrates which is what we want to avoid. Also, keep in mind, the processed meats, ham, bacon, salami etc contain sodium nitrates and nitrates and specifically he says not to overload on processed meats.

That cauliflour mock mac and cheese sounds great, I'll have to try it, , gecolon, but what do you put your cream cheese on besides celery. ? :wave:

gecolon
Sun, Dec-23-01, 15:58
I eat more fat than anything around 70% then protien around 24% and carbs at 5-6%.

Cream cheese?

I love the stuff. Here is what I do with it:

Spread on salami or pepperoni and roll up (put them in a baggy and I have an on the go snack)
Stuff jalapenos and bake them.
Make a mixture of cream cheese and horse radish and spread on roast beef slices
Add 4 slices of fried bacon to 1oz of cream cheese in a sandwich bag (baggy),crumble up and mix together in bag (quick filling breakfast to go)
Using pre cooked chicken or turkey layer a casserole with the meat , mushrooms a little chopped onion, garlic and I like to add sliced fresh jalepenos, heat a mixture of 1cp heavy cream with 2oz of cream cheese in micro. Pour this mixture over the meat and top with shredded cheddar. Bake at 350/400 for about 15 min. This is da bomb.
Make delicious low carb sweet treats.
The list goes on and on......

donnaj
Sat, Dec-29-01, 13:51
I found out that nuts, too many pork rinds and too much diet jello and pudding causes me to stall. So this time around I am trying hard to void them. Nat, I will read about nicotine. I smoke a package a day :( I quit for a year and then had my first stroke and got mad and started again :thdown: I am planning to quit the first of the year. Everyone wish me luck this time I'll succeed.
:)

Cheryl R
Sat, Dec-29-01, 14:31
I get stalled when I eat too many pork rinds dipped in sour cream dips.... Also, when I go overboard on the cheese. :thdown:

sharaegirl
Sat, Jan-05-02, 14:44
Nuts! Nuts! Nuts!
whenever i start eating nuts, i cant stop, them i realize i didnt lose any weight!
what do you guys eat during the holidays? i eat all the things i wasnt supposed to eat, and now i am in the first phase of the Atkins diet again... :roll:

coquina
Sat, Jan-05-02, 16:19
Geocolon - I'm about the same as you: 70% fat, 26% protein, 4% carbs. In 2 months I've lost 6 pounds and gained back 2. :( I keep meticulous food diaries, so I know everything I eat. I love this WOL, but can't lose weight on it!

I've tried dropping the macadamia nuts - no change. I've dropped all processed meats (mainly sausage, I don't do sandwich meats) - no change. Next I'm going to drop the bacon (I use either dry-cured or hickory-smoked) for a couple of weeks and see if that makes a difference. If that doesn't work, I'll have to drop cheese, which I hate to do (I only eat about 2 oz./day anyway).

I drink lots of water, no diet soda, no caffeine, the only sweeteners are in sugar-free Jello, which I eat sparingly.

Every time I see the scale bop up another 1/2 pound, I get bummed!

Coquina

Cheryl R
Sat, Jan-05-02, 20:58
sharaegirl,
I'm with you....I blew it the week before Christmas...I have been back on the induction phase since Dec 26th...I won't weigh until Jan 8th...which is day 14...and it happens to be the day I wiegh in anyway...so I can't tell you my progress wieght wise...but I sure feel good...
so starting over is a good thing....

sharaegirl
Sun, Jan-06-02, 08:28
Cheryl
I started my induction phase the second of January. I am not gonna get weigh in until my two weeks are over. I am not ready to look at the scale yet!
Never give up!
pilinick~earthlink.com
:wave:

gecolon
Sun, Jan-06-02, 11:14
:wave: Hi Coquina.

Sorry to hear about the 2lb gain. It probably comes off for me cuz I still have a lot of weight to loose and you are closer to your goal (that is a good thing). Even if you think you are drinking enough water try and drink more ( I drink half my body weight plus a little more since I eat things so high in sodium), make sure you are eating enough. Do you exercise, lift weights? Could be you are acquiring lean muscle mass another good thing). Have you taken your body measurements (all over)?. If you are doing all those things then stick with it. It will work out. ;)

Marlaine
Sun, Jan-06-02, 12:09
Posting the accumulated list yet again so anyone peeking at the end of this thread can easily find it!

<b>Here is the list again with a few notes added to further define the foods:

Processed Meats
Caffeine
Nicotine
Bacon
Cheese
Alcohol - Beer
Nuts & Nut Butters
Artificial Sweeteners & anything containing AS's such as diet jello and diet soda pop
Protein bars
Too many pork rinds </b>

I think it's agreed by many here that eating TOO MUCH of any food including a low carb approved food can cause a stall.

Marlaine

SadAngel
Sun, Jan-06-02, 23:02
I would definetly have to say MOst if not all canned foods-way too much salt and perservatives!!

You also should watch out for certain types of fruit, I heard that bananas are great for potassium but can have lots of starch!!

Take Care
Angel

sammiejam
Mon, Jan-07-02, 03:20
yep bananas and nearly all other fruit

strawbs and raspberries in moderation are ok though

mary nappi
Tue, Jan-08-02, 09:56
wawtigress,
i do love bacon to and it hasn't bothered me, but i really don't eat that much of it. try buying some of the new leaner bacons, see if they may have less salt.
instead if bacon for breakfast try other meats like steak or porkchops.
good luck

MissBecca
Sat, Feb-02-02, 03:18
I'd have to agree with the salt and nuts causing stalls - I definitely notice that things slow down when I eat a little too many nuts and salty things. To make things worse, I eat smoked almonds for their yummy flavour and low-carb properties - BUT they are very salty!

Also, I have a tendency to forget to keep drinking my water, especially when busy at work and on weekends - I find that this slows me down too.

:rolleyes:

Rebecca

donnaj
Sat, Feb-02-02, 06:02
Welcome Rebecca,
I have found out eating to many pork rinds(due to the salt) has caused me to slow down. I have to drink more water to flush it out) I also found out that some of my medication is also a culprit.

carbavoidr
Sat, Feb-02-02, 12:17
Thanks for all the great memo's on stalls. this wol has so many advantages, one forgets we need to be diligent when trying to lose weight. having been lc for almost 3 years now, I have been lucky enough to keep off the 40 pounds I lost, but am trying to lose a bit more before summer vacations arrives, You are so right when you say too much of the right foods can still cause problems. since I drink too, its is frequently a balancing act. even if alcohol is supposed to be no carb..it still gets processed like sugar. funny, I can give up liquor a lot easier than starch... :rolleyes:
Jane

donnaj
Sat, Feb-02-02, 14:36
Jane, I know what you mean about how hard it is to give up starch. I still miss my potatoes. :wave:

Cali
Sat, Feb-02-02, 17:47
re: stalling, you have to remember that cheese contains a gram of carbs per 30 grams, two eggs contain 1 gram, crab meat 1 gram per 120 grams, lobster 1 gram per 60 grams, similarly shrimps, and cream has 3 grams in every 4 table spoons.
These things can add up and easily put you over the limit.

MissBecca
Sat, Feb-02-02, 18:54
Erk, I just don't like those pork rinds. I bought some a couple of weeks ago and thought I'd give them a shot - but they were YUCKY - just not to my taste I guess!

:daze:

kar
Sat, Feb-02-02, 19:58
My grocery store has sugar-free flavored syrups in the gourmet coffee section (I think the brand name is DaVinci or something like that). The hazelnut is good, and so is the vanilla. Haven't tried any of the others. I use them with half & half in my coffee and it hasn't caused me any problems so far. You really don't need much syrup to get the flavor! It actually tastes better than the coffee whitener. (No 'fake cream' taste)

Karen

I'm afraid it's french vanilla low fat coffee whitener. That means probably the artificial sweeteners in it, plus it has 5 carbs per 1 tblspn, I try to lighten my coffee with just 1 teaspoon instead, cutting the caqrb to 2.5. But I have to face it, it's not helping me, i went out and bought light cream which has no carbs. It was my little treat, but now I'm on a stall, so I guess that's it, although I do eat processed meats, I's so easy to just take a few slices of salami and cheese with my salad. I guess I'm going to have to rethink this. :confused: Chris

coquina
Sun, Feb-03-02, 00:31
I've gotten hooked on a vanilla cream coffee I found that says right on the label it has no added sweeteners. Add some heavy cream and it's like dessert! :yum:

I found the food that was stalling me: bacon. The bacon's in the freezer, and I've finally started to lose again!

Coquina

anita
Sun, Feb-03-02, 11:24
Originally posted by coquina
I've gotten hooked on a vanilla cream coffee I found that says right on the label it has no added sweeteners. Add some heavy cream and it's like dessert! :yum:

I found the food that was stalling me: bacon. The bacon's in the freezer, and I've finally started to lose again!

Coquina

Coquina -- that vanilla cream coffee sounds delightful -- what is the brand and where did you find it??
ps Bacon always causes me to gain wt -- so it is no longer on my menu!

allisonm
Sun, Feb-03-02, 14:30
This is a great thread. Personally, I've found that I can eat moderate amounts of bacon, modest amounts of nuts and peanuts, and moderate amounts of cheese without stalling. But even a tiny bit of sugar knocks me straight out of ketosis.

coquina
Sun, Feb-03-02, 15:42
Anita, it's Harmony Bay Vanilla Creme Coffee, comes in regular and decaf in a 12-oz. tin with a lovely painted scene of a farmhouse and barn that runs all around the can. (The tins are so pretty I hate throw them away.) I get it at Trader Joe's (which you probably don't have access to), but here's the address of the company that makes it:

Comfort Foods, Inc.
25 Commerce Way
Andover MA 01845
1-800-514-3663

If you call, they may be able to tell you where you can get it in your area.

Good luck! :)

Coquina

carbavoidr
Sun, Feb-03-02, 18:25
being addicted to something is no picnic. you can try your best to eat right, read, study, make lists, all that jazz, but the bottom line is I am addicted to a poison that can only harm me. lc pasta..well, OK, but its not PASTA, same with bread. I know full well as I am snarfing that loaf of bread or melty potato I will be sick for 2 days and lathargic, and crabby...but sometimes I cave...
Jane

donnaj
Mon, Feb-04-02, 05:40
Jane,
I know what you mean about being so addicted. I am that way with sugar. I know the first bite will ruin me. I can't stop especially with M&M's. So, I take it one day at a time and I am thankful that I made it through that day. I made some lc fudge and I ended up eating the whole thing. So no more :( But, I found out if I eat a good portion of protein it helps. Well have a good day. :wave:

dwb in nyc
Mon, Feb-04-02, 07:24
I think the question is what damage does nicotine do, rather than smoking. We're all pretty familiar with the harmful efect of smoking. Anyone who asks, "Why risk it?" is not and never was a smoker.

I would be more curious whether patches and Nicorette are counter-productive. I doubt they are, since nicotine is a mild stimulant and has been used by body-builders to burn fat.

gwilson38
Mon, Feb-04-02, 09:59
Marlaine recently posted a list of foods anf thigs that cause stalls. One that was mentioned was "eating a wide combination of foods in one day " why is that? And what is considered a wide combo?

carbavoidr
Mon, Feb-04-02, 17:20
salty snacks...I really need them during TOM. which of course only makes things worse. I am usually able to fight the good fight, reminding myself I am a full grown, fairly intelligent person, capable of saying no to a donut or fry. but those are just words. just like cigarettes, you can know better not to....but....at least with carbs they don't make us go be hind the dumpsters to indulge our habit. I also wondered about the wide variety of foods causing a problem. Does anyone have more information on that?
Jane

donnaj
Mon, Feb-04-02, 19:16
Jane,
I know that when I ate different food like salsa and cheese that I usually don't eat that caused a stall for about 4 days until it worked through my system. Hope this help.
Donna :wave:

carbavoidr
Tue, Feb-05-02, 16:56
I enjoy variety, and with very few exceptions this wol is perfect for me, when I try to lose, I actually have to keep calories at 2000 or less. still way above the low fat diets. and fairly easy to do, with the exception of TOM when I blow it, or binges when I am feeling particularly self destructive. I don't care how good you intend to be a Tub of p nuts and a 6 pack is not a well balanced food plan. :(
do you think leafy veggies AND fruit AND meat AND cheese might not work well? :thdown: I wonder if I should go straight induction for two weeks to jump start some weight loss? (Induction is sooo boring) I have lost 6 more pounds but would like a total of 25 by summer. any ideas?
Jane

cathouse
Tue, Feb-05-02, 17:51
Diet and quit smoking?
I don't think so, I would probably kill my co-workers and make my kids life miserable. I'll take my chances.
I am on CALP, so I can have a reward meal. I am lucky, have been able to stay in ketosis, with carb intake as high a 63! But white rice threw me right off. So I know now to stay away from it.
All other foods have been okay for me so far (I admit I have not strayed far from the Atkins list, the diet I started with), except too many pork rinds. Now I just use them for breading!
Keep up the good works guys!

cathyc
Sun, Feb-10-02, 09:14
:) Just to let you know that i don't often but I do enjoy all your advice.
I not only stall with nut but I don't seem to have control when i start and even the smallest amount of nuts can be disasterous for me.
The highest and the ones i have eliminated from my diet is cashews but the lowest and the one that suprised me was brasil nuts. If you get with the shell on your less apt to eat lots as they are a pain to shell.
As for the processed meats they are the exception rather that the rule. If i eat processed meat it is more apt to be something that is process whole ie.. capicoli , none sweeten ham
I also make my self sausage that i eat both fresh or cured
Italian Sausage
25 lb coursely ground pork
1 cup salt
1/2 cup hot ground chili peppers
1/8 cup cayenne
1 cup paprika
1 cup red dry wine
Mix for at least 30 minutes by hand.Then fill sausage casing that have rinsed with water first then wine.
tie into 8 to 10 inch link.
Hang to cure in a 40 45 degree basement or cook fresh
Great on the barbeque
If you don't have a sausage stuffer you can make into patties for sausage burgers.

Marlaine
Sun, Feb-10-02, 11:58
Just bumping the list up again for the convenience of folks just coming into this thread:

<b>Processed Meats
Caffeine
Nicotine
Bacon
Cheese
Alcohol - Beer
Nuts & Nut Butters
Protein bars
Too many pork rinds </b>

I think it's agreed by many here that eating TOO MUCH of any food including a low carb approved food can cause a stall.

I have discovered that eliminating all SALTY foods seems to have stopped the wild bounces the scale took for me in the beginning. My weight would fluctuate 3-6 pounds in a single day. Now it's about a 2 pound swing and it's not unusual for me to hold at a weight for 5 days in a row. YAY...I'm learning!

Marlaine

Marlaine
Sat, Jul-13-02, 17:50
notaquiter......

This is the list I was talking about.

Marlaine

notaquiter
Sat, Jul-13-02, 21:04
Thanks Marlaine and every one else. ;) I see I do need to change a few things. Like the bacon, diet sodas, diet jello and cheese which I seem to eat a lot of. Thanks again I'll be posting this list on my fridge. Just a reminder on what food I should watch for. :D Thanks again

gary
Mon, Jul-15-02, 16:08
Nuts, Cheese, Beer

I have eaten more cheese than recommended and have used cheese to alleviate hunger. I began to realize that cheese was controlling my weight loss. Minimize it and I drop lbs. Nuts definitely will stall you. I can't stop eating them so I have to minimize the amount I buy. I dropped beer. Have been drinking red dry wine and not too much problem with one glass a day.

Marlaine
Mon, Jul-15-02, 16:30
Gary......

Nuts, Cheese, Beer AND Wine (alcohol) are all on the list. Of course....YMMV......but for folks like me that need to go for all of the advantages possible to effect a weight loss, pretty much everything on the list is off of my menu!

The problem with alcoholic beverages is that your body will choose to burn them first.....so whether it's a small virtually unnoticeable delay......or a one week stall.......alcohol will slow most of us down.

Marlaine

gary
Mon, Jul-15-02, 20:37
I agree about red wine. I know the mechanism and all. I have had weekends drinking more wine where I come back to work on Monday and weigh the same as the last Friday. Then as the week progressed I would start losing again. Also I wish everybody could lose weight readily. I have 1 lb to go to reach my target and after that I want to post a success story and write as much detail I can on what I ate for meals and other factors like excersise. I know I can say that I eat the same portions that I ate before the diet, but I dropped the carbs down to the Atkins induction except eating more cheese. I do not eat more meat to compensate for the missing carbs. So in all I did restrict my calories and stay in induction too. So whatever wine I drank in my case acted like a slight brake.

Good luck! :wave:

chrisews
Sat, Aug-03-02, 07:56
Seems like everything I eat is on that list, processed meats, yes,
cheese, yes, caffeine, yes, diet jello yes, ohdear, I really have to work on this, I have cut out the nuts and the bacon, and the lo carb bars, but the wine, I do have once in a great while, fortunately only one glass, and maybe once per week, or less. As I said, there's work to be done. chris

donnaj
Sun, Aug-04-02, 08:53
Chris,
I also have the same trouble. I have found out that nuts, low carb bars, pork rinds, sugar free jello and even coffee make me stall. I have trouble keeping my coffee down to one cup a day and even found out that cream can cause me to stall. I am now going back to induction and staying away from my trigger foods to see if that well help. With the heat and humidy this summer I have found that even a little bit of salt have made me gain or stall. We can do this together and we both well see this stall go away. May the whoosh fairy be kind to both of us soon.
Donna :wave:

coquina
Sun, Aug-04-02, 09:57
Summer in Tucson always makes me want more salt, especially salty and crunchy foods, so I have to be careful of pork rinds and macadamia nuts, for these reasons:

1) Like potato chips, I can't eat just a little bit and stop. And once I start, I want to eat them every day until the package is empty.

2) Eating them curbs my hunger so much in the hot weather I don't feel much like eating real food, and so I don't get a balanced diet.

3) The extra salt probably causes fluid retention. My weight stalls or goes up.

I'm a turtle. In general, my weight loss on Atkins has been slow and steady at about 2 lbs/month -- even on induction. I don't think cheese or cream or coffee have caused me to stall. On OWL I've even added 1 cup/day of caffeinated coffee, which I have in the morning. I have a second cup of decaf at night after dinner. Coffee with heavy cream tastes like dessert to me now!

I discovered early on that bacon was a definite stall, so stopped it altogether. But I think it probably had sugar in it. Even the slightest bit of hidden sugar will cause me to stall, so I have to be careful. I bought some biotin lately and discovered after I got home I'd accidentally picked up sublingual pills instead of regular pills. I stalled -- read the label and found they contained .5g of sugar! So I'm giving them to a friend who's not on LC.

Coquina

Marlaine
Sat, Mar-05-05, 23:42
Here's the list again for anyone who hasn't seen it so that they don't have to search through the thread. I think it still stands.

Processed Meats
Caffeine
Nicotine
Bacon
Cheese
Alcohol - Beer
Nuts & Nut Butters
Protein bars
Too many pork rinds

GinaLeanne
Sun, Mar-06-05, 00:41
Here is the list so far. Please post any others that are not listed here now!

<b>Processed meats
Caffeine
Nicotine
Bacon
Cheese
Alcohol - Beer
Nuts & Nut Butters
Artificial Sweeteners
Protein bars
Too many pork rinds </b>

Hi, what do you mean by a wide combination of food in one day? thanks, Gina

GinaLeanne
Sun, Mar-06-05, 00:42
Hi,

so is this why people do the meat and egg fast, so they wont stall?

GinaLeanne
Sun, Mar-06-05, 00:46
Erk, I just don't like those pork rinds. I bought some a couple of weeks ago and thought I'd give them a shot - but they were YUCKY - just not to my taste I guess!

:daze:

the barbeque ones are a little better......

spalding
Tue, Mar-15-05, 07:46
the barbeque ones are a little better......

I don't like pork rinds much plain, either, plus I'm to the point of needing to watch the calories. However, I used them in a meatloaf recipe from Dana Carpender's crock pot book, and it was great.

Marlaine
Tue, Mar-15-05, 09:49
GinaLeanne......

"A wide range of foods" was submitted by Karen (you can check out her journal). What she was referring to was eating tuna, chicken and beef all on the same day. Karen feels that this is something that will make you stall.

Marlaine

Marlaine
Tue, Mar-15-05, 09:53
Hi,

so is this why people do the meat and egg fast, so they wont stall?

I'm not sure what you are talking about when you refer to the meat and egg fast so I couldn't answer the "WHY" of why people do it. However...I'm not sure that going on such a fast as a preventative measure, is a good idea. In DANDR, Atkins warns that the fat fast is only for people who are truly weight loss resistant.

Marlaine

Night-Owl
Sun, Mar-20-05, 23:58
Congratulations on your weight maintenance I hope that when I lose the weight that I want I will be able to keep the pounds off. You look wonderfully fit !
Best Regards Night-Owl

joni_jo
Fri, Jun-24-05, 08:16
i've only been back on atkins for 3 days but i haven't craved a cigg at all, which is a 1st, so i'm gonna quit...or at least try to yay!
I didn't realise smoking had such an effect on weight loss in fact i always thought it would help.....

Sue L
Mon, Aug-29-05, 09:53
For me, nuts cause a stall more than anything. I try to avoid eating them by themselves, like a snack. Sprinkled on something seems to make them easier for me to have.

gecolon
Thu, Sep-14-06, 14:21
It took me forever to give up splenda. I had hit a plataue (sp)(4wks), and I said lets see what happens if I drop it. Well, I started loosing again within 3 days of quitting. When I first started LCing I could eat everything allowed and would loose a lot of weight. As I get closer to my goal I notice there are some things that just slow my process (cheese, pepperoni, salami).

ira
Thu, Sep-14-06, 14:58
For me:
Low carb ice cream causes the biggest stalls, since I have no discipline and can't eat the 1/2 cup portion size.

number42
Wed, Aug-29-07, 18:29
So I try to avoid things that make me allergic, dust, etc and then I don't have to use my Steroid Cream and I feel less bloaty.

I have bad allergies too, I'm considering doing jala neti (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jala_Neti) to compensate for that.

GoLight
Sat, Sep-01-07, 11:06
I have bad allergies too, I'm considering doing jala neti (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jala_Neti) to compensate for that.

That sounds more like a dance, I thought you were going to tell us you're "gettin jiggy widit" :lol:

lone-rain
Thu, Jul-17-08, 09:05
I would say splenda and anything too salty will definitely cause stalls >:(

IvannaBFit
Fri, Jul-18-08, 14:04
Great thread!

zzz
Thu, Mar-26-09, 03:27
cheese and nuts and cream...

SissyPoo
Fri, Mar-27-09, 16:28
low carb bars...They caused me to stall.

Scotty2451
Fri, Jul-22-11, 06:17
Alcohol, caffeine, and gluten.