PDA

View Full Version : Hello - newbie questions

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Sunflower7
Fri, Oct-21-05, 07:55
Hello everyone, I just joined the site today and am learning my way around. I have been on the Atkins diet for about 2 weeks now and have lost 9.5 lbs but I am having headaches and was very depressed yesterday (moody). I was wondering if this is normal for the first two weeks.

Has anyone had any problems with their cholsteral going up with this diet and all the eggs.

Thank you.

Jr8Fan
Fri, Oct-21-05, 08:20
First welcome!

Second, studies have shown that eggs to not harm your cholesterol.

Third, my cholesterol dropped on Atkins and I ate 3 eggs a day.

Fourth, the headaches are normal and will go away when your body adjusts.

Lastly, keep up the good work!

Sunflower7
Fri, Oct-21-05, 08:54
Thank you, I am starting this diet because my cholestrol jumped to 223 in the last 18 months and my weight went up 37 lbs. I was overweight before but after a very stressful year - I am out of control :). My first goal is to lose the 37 lbs. I am glad the headache and mood swings will go my hubby was ready to kill me yesterday. I even ended up eating a piece of wheat bread with peanut butter on it because I could not kill the cravings.
I am still trying to learn this site, but it has some great stories and receipes on it.
Thank you.

Jr8Fan
Fri, Oct-21-05, 09:55
When I have unbearable cravings, I sometimes have peanut butter but it has a lot of carbs if you eat too much and peanuts are notorious for stalling people. Next time try 1/3 bar of cream cheese microwaved for 30 seconds. Add 1/2 tsp. unsweetened cocoa and 2 packets of splenda. Or just 1/3 bar of cream cheese with splenda sprinkled on it. Cream cheese is a very fatty food and will settle those cravings right down.

Also, I went on the "diabetic" diet for a year after my cholesterol, triglycerides, and blood pressure skyrocketed. I ate 3 fruits a day and 5-7 servings of bread. I starved!! I also walked at least 45 minutes a day (most of the time over an hour a day) and never cheated or missed my exercise. I initially lost 20 pounds but the last couple of months were misery and I actually gained back 4 pounds while strictly following doctor's orders. I had my blood work done at our annual health fair at work and all my numbers were WORSE!!

I immediately ditched the low-calorie/high carb diet my physician had prescribed and started Atkins. If the other diet was going to kill me anyway, I figured I may as well do the opposite. My doctor freaked and I struck a deal with him. Test my bloodwork again in 3 months and if I was not better, I would take Lipitor. In 3 months, he said, "I would kill for your cholesterol." He now recommends Atkins to his other patients and scolds me when I fall off the wagon.

It will work for you and that cholesterol will be back to normal before your weight is.

By the way, in 3 months of being back on Atkins, my blood pressure has gone from 139/95 to 124/85, I have lost 19 pounds, lots of inches, and can't wait to get my bloodwork done again.

Good luck to you!

Sunflower7
Fri, Oct-21-05, 11:38
Did you ever run into any of the other problems that are mentioned like hair thinning and constipation? I have thin hair after having the kids and I can not afford much more. This is what I get for having kids late in life... LOL

Jr8Fan
Fri, Oct-21-05, 12:20
I have not experienced the thin hair. A friend did, but when her weight loss slowed down, her hair filled back out. I was constipated for a couple of weeks, but started taking extra vitamin C and that took care of that problem. You can't overdose on Vitamin C and it is much milder than any of the laxatives they sell over the counter.

I now just take the normal Vitamin C amount and the only time I have had constipation is when the doctor put me on pain pills and that was a side effect of them. No other problems from the lo carbing though.

I have a one year old at home. Sometimes I am ready to pull my hair out too!! :lol:

Jr8Fan
Fri, Oct-21-05, 12:22
By the way, I am now 45 so I am getting a late start with my son. He is adopted. We tried EVERYTHING to have a family...aside from stealing a baby, that is. I just think being a mom is the most wonderful thing in the world!!!!!

Sunflower7
Sat, Oct-22-05, 04:52
I have two sons who are 6 and 7, they told me I would never have another one after the first and as you can see they were very wrong. I love having them close now, but it was not planned at the time. LOL I give you lots of credit, losing weight during the little years can not be easy. I love being a mom, I would have had a couple more but hubby said he did not think at 40 I should have any more. (physically it was hard on me, but I would have done it.)
I really just jumped in and catered to every one. I was so busy with playgroups, volunteering at the school, and filling in for my husband who works full time and attends school nights. I just surfaced this year and realized I was a mess, I had let myself go to the point of stupid. So here I am. doing something for me.

Jr8Fan
Sat, Oct-22-05, 05:06
Way to go! You need to do something for you! These little ones will be better if we are healthy! I haven't gotten into the busyness of play groups and school activities. There is an advantage to having one who is only 12 months old!! But I am going to try not to overwhelm myself since I work full time. There are just sooooo many opportunities out there it is hard to decide what to join and what to avoid! Don't know how you do it with two!

Sunflower7
Sat, Oct-22-05, 05:29
I was thinking of starting a journal but have not figured out how yet. It might be interesting to hear others comments on my daily activities. I gained two pounds today, unsure of why. I did have 1/4 cup of sugar free pudding as a cheat last night which was 7 g of carbs. but 2 lbs seems extreme for that.

They are really good boys, as a mother I just pray that they do not have bad days on the same day. that gets tricky! But I was able to get them on the same schedule by the time my little one was about 8 months old so I had a few hours cleaning and quilting time every day.

Jr8Fan
Sat, Oct-22-05, 05:39
Since we are women, I'll just bet those 2 pounds are water weight!

Quilting! Wow! I admire you for finding time to do that! I love to crosstitch. I just have a really hard time working it in right now. Maybe when my son is more independent........like when he is 18!

Sunflower7
Sat, Oct-22-05, 06:52
i was a computer programer in my former life BC (before children) so when I started staying home my ex-work-assistant and I bought a book on quilting and got together once a week and worked to figure it out. We have made blankets for everyone we know. I also make tree skirts and table place holders. Nothing fancy or hard. I think often of going back to work but all these years out of the workforce and I am lost with computers now. I am not sure what to be when I grow up!!! LOL I do not know how working moms do it, I sometimes wish I had stayed in the workforce, I do miss it.
You think it will be 18 before he is independent but I am shocked how quick my kids are growing up. I am so proud of them, they are starting to make good choice and like doing things independent of me. I just started letting them ride their bikes around the block (subdivision block) and it has been so hard to give them that much freedom, but they think they are all grown up now. It helps having two because I send them together. The hard thing is bathrooms, they do not want to be seen in the womens restroom but I hate them going in the mens. So I send both of them in and stand outside the door waiting.... I have been known to poke my head in if it is taking too long so they know to hurry or they will be embarrassed.

Jr8Fan
Mon, Oct-24-05, 08:58
LOL!!! I needed that last comment on Monday morning at work. I am imagining you poking your head in the men's room after your boys!!! I can see myself doing that in a few years!