PDA

View Full Version : Turkey, Bacon & Sage Chowder

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ValerieL
Thu, Oct-20-05, 21:38
I got this from a food column in the Toronto Star, Cooking 101, who in turn had adapted it from a recipe from the Ontario Turkey Producers' Marketing Board. I've changed a few things to make it lower carb.

4 slices bacon, chopped
1/2 large yellow onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 celery sticks, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, cut in small dice
2 tbsp Carbquick
3 cups turkey or chicken stock
2 tbsp finely shredded sage leaves
2 cupes diced, cooked turkey
1/2 cup corn kernels
1/4 cup heavy cream
salt & pepper to taste

In a large pot, on medium heat, cook bacon until crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towel. Pour off drippings, except about 1 tbsp and return pan to heat, add onion and garlic. Cook onion & garlic , stirring until softened, about 1 minute. Add celery & red pepper, cook for 2 minutes. Add sweet potatoes, cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add Carbquick, cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in stock & sage, turn heat to high and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes until sweet potatoes and celery are tender, stirring occasionally.

Stir in bacon, turkey & corn, simmer until heated through. Stir in cream (do not allow to boil). Season with salt & pepper.

Makes about 7 cups.

I didn't do any carb counts, and you could further low carb it by ditching the corn and substituting rutabagas or turnip for the sweetpotatoes. The Carbquik didn't really thicken the broth as well as I would have liked, I might try xanthum gum next time instead.

It was a great way to use up extra turkey from Thanksgiving.

Val