PDA

View Full Version : Hi...newbie here!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

tonibaby
Tue, Oct-18-05, 15:41
Hi All! Just wanted to pop in and introduce myself and give you my story....

I have been yo-yoing on the diet front for several years now losing and gaining the same 40 pounds over and over. Tried every diet imaginable, including Atkins! Haven't been able to stick to any of them for any extended period of time. Joined my local Curves about 2 months ago and have been working out and have managed to lose a few pounds so I decided that now would be the time to kick it up with another attempt at changing the way I eat. Began Atkins about 1 month ago but am having a hard time making it through the induction phase. I'll do okay for a couple of days but then the cravings take over and I have "just one bite" and it is all over for a day or two. All my hard work down the drain! I start again and do good for a few more days and then repeat the cycle. Classic Yo-Yo syndrome, ya know!! I know this is the best plan for me because when I am doing good I feel great and have tons of energy but I just can't seem to make myself stick to it. Anyone have any advice for me on how to get through induction so I can move on to the next level? All help is appreciated! :D

JohnGibson
Tue, Oct-18-05, 15:53
After two days you are hitting the main withdrawal symptoms. Sugar, I believe, is one of the worst things for me I actually had the shakes when I went off of it.

I am by no means an expert, but I will tell you what I have learned:

1) Make sure that you eat your veggies. Your body needs these for fiber and for nutrients.

2) Make sure that you are taking a good Vitamin Supplement. Some recommend the Atkins, others just say find a good name. I currently take the Centrium Low Carb Vitamin because I was given them. In the past I have taken the Atkins supplements but I have tried to find things that work as well and are cheaper.

3) When you are hungry, eat. it is a sign that your body needs feeding. Use the My PLAN at the top of the page and use it to keep track of what you are eating. You may also decide to try www.fitday.com. I like MY Plan because it integrates well with the journal feature here at Lowcarber.org. Don't stuff yourself, but rather eat until satisfied. If you find yourself losing energy in the afternoons at a certain time, then make that time for a snack.

4) Get exercise. I don't know how much you need to lose, but exercise is a key to any lifestyle change. Start slow, I started 2.4 miles a day because that was the infrequent route that I would use to walk my dog. The first two weeks were hard but now I find that I can walk it at a very good pace and not get winded. This means that it is also time for me to up the mileage of my walks.

5) Drink water. Atkins says to drink 8 8oz servings a day. I personally have at least 2 32oz cups of water. I cut out my coffee and I try to drink water instead. Sometimes, I reward myself with a starbucks decafe.

6) If you haven't read Dr. Atkins' book, then I suggest that you read it. He suggests that you have a full blood workup done before you start. This way you know your baseline numbers. My Doctor told me that I was always very healthy except for my being obese. So he didn't have a problem with me going on Atkins without a workup.

7) Start a journal here, and use it. I have posted many questions here, and the wonderful people on this site have come to my rescue many times telling me about things that I didn't understand. I believe this community will make the difference between success and failure on any Low Carb diet. It is this community support that gives us the ability to stick through this when the carbs (someone brought in sandwiches, and other fried goodies to the office this afternoon :::uggh: are calling.

John

tonibaby
Tue, Oct-18-05, 19:08
Thanks John! I have read the book but am just having a problem with my own willpower. I'll try some of your advice. Hope to post good results soon!

:bhug:
Toni