PDA

View Full Version : This is tough

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

bigsizeo
Sun, Oct-16-05, 21:00
Hey everyone

Its not even 48hrs and I/m finding it difficult to avoid the snacks...this is sad I have no self control...i must learn to be unhappy to make this work, unfortunately i am hanging out with that skinny eat anything girl and am trying to believe i can do the same.....i will never make it ..i need to talk to the ex again(this always helps)

Qmass
Mon, Oct-17-05, 08:12
snacks are fine, just have legal ones, like sugar free jello or cheese.

zorra_1
Mon, Oct-17-05, 08:16
That skinny girl may grow up to have some serious issues with her blood sugar from eating that way.

It takes me about a good week or so to get those cravings out of me. Use this experience to show just how badly sugar/flour control you!.

Good Luck!

neela26
Mon, Oct-17-05, 09:28
Please stick with the diet and load up on some low carb snacks (celery, cheese, hard boiled eggs). I didn't think my cravings would go away, but they did.

ssofian
Mon, Oct-17-05, 09:37
i must learn to be unhappy

If you decide you are going to be unhappy with this way of eating, not only will you be unhappy, but you will have a very hard time succeeding. Instead, why not spend some energy coming up with low carb snacks you can have? If you're stuck for ideas, check out the recipe threads on this forum!

Hybrid
Mon, Oct-17-05, 10:24
The older parts of the brain, and the hormone system, will win out over the newer parts of the brain. If you're hungry, your body will eventually force you to eat unless you're anorexic. If you're stressed, your body will seek foods that aid in stress reduction. Oddly enough, most people who choose a low-carb diet do so because it's the least punishing diet around.

What are you having specific issues with?

cs_carver
Mon, Oct-17-05, 12:13
And 104#????

Of COURSE you're hungry!!

Long distance runners weigh in at about 2# / inch of height, which would bring you to 136#.

zorra_1
Mon, Oct-17-05, 13:37
And 104#????

Of COURSE you're hungry!!

Long distance runners weigh in at about 2# / inch of height, which would bring you to 136#.

I think shes 58 inches, not 5'8"! :)

cs_carver
Mon, Oct-17-05, 14:47
I think shes 58 inches, not 5'8"! :)

Had a brain fart there!! thanks!

I have trouble imagining life at the other end of the scale... I think my bones alone weigh more than that.

nikkil
Mon, Oct-17-05, 21:12
When you say "snacks" are you talking about non-LC stuff or eating between meals?? Assuming you're talking about eating between meals....

I've just restarted (again!!!! :o :o ) and I know for a fact that I am always more hungry the first several days until ketosis kicks in and my appetite decreases. As long as you're eating until you're satisfied and not stuffed (like Dr A says) and making sure to get in your carbs thru veggies and Induction-friendly foods you can go ahead and eat!!! If you're hungry between meals have a boiled egg, leftover meat of any kind, veggies and full-fat ranch dressing, cheese stick, etc. and make sure you're drinking LOTS of water. That helps flush out your body and reduce hunger and keeps you hydrated.

You'll do it and don't look at what others can and can't do - sucks, but not everybody can eat whatever they want and be the size/weight they want to be. Gotta just accept that and move on, don't dwell on it, okay?

hth,

bigsizeo
Tue, Oct-18-05, 05:08
Good morning everyone
I finally made it two days without cheating but I am hungry lst night I fought it with a cheese stick and hot sauce..Had to step away from the computer and go watch tv downstairs(far from the fridge).

Hybrid
Tue, Oct-18-05, 10:38
I wouldn't recommend this past the first month, but gum can help, as the mechanical chewing action gives your mouth something to do.

Past the first month... I know a guy that uses frozen tallow as a gum substitute.

bigsizeo
Wed, Oct-19-05, 17:21
i just want to thank everyone for their help, I am trying to stay with this..it is very hard and i give so much credit to the people here with the willpower to stay away....I hope i can learn from all of you...you are becoming my support...no one else would understand...I have had a cheese stick for a snack with hotsauce...this seems to work for now...my roommate doesnt understand i cant eat the chips

Hybrid
Thu, Oct-20-05, 10:15
The low-carb/paleolithic substitute for chips is pork rinds, also called chichirones. See if you can find some. They're really good covered in hazelnut butter.

eve25
Thu, Oct-20-05, 10:23
gosh, if youre going to be hungry, you might as well do a low-fat diet.

nikkil
Thu, Oct-20-05, 19:03
mmmmmm, anything with hot sauce is great, in my book :yum: :yum:

Make sure you're eating enough, okay? Have you checked out www.fitday.com? Put what you're eating into that and see what your percentages come out to. You should be at about 70% fat, 25% protein and 5% carbs when doing Induction levels. When I'm following that I have trouble eating enough because I'm never hungry!! Make sure your cals aren't below 1200 as well.

hth,

bigsizeo
Fri, Oct-21-05, 18:50
i can't believe it, i just got home from work/shopping nd decide to get on the scale....I lost 2lbs...i know its only water weight
but I'll take it...thanks everyone

browniz30
Fri, Oct-21-05, 19:56
sorry...but I disagree with doing the low fat diet if your gonna be hungry!!!
when first starting induction....I am always starving for the first few days...then after the first week....I am Never hungry and have to remind myself to eat!!!!

question......why no gum after the first month????? I love gum!!!! sugar free of course!!!!

I tryed low fat a LONG LONG time ago.......that was the HUNGERIEST I have ever been!!!!!

fat has a saitey(cant spell) effect....therefore.....satisfies your hunger longer and allows you to feel contint!!!!

eve25
Fri, Oct-21-05, 20:57
sorry...but I disagree with doing the low fat diet if your gonna be hungry!!!
yeah i kinda meant it sarcastically

fat has a saitey(cant spell) effect....therefore.....satisfies your hunger longer and allows you to feel contint!!!!
this was my point...no reason to be hungry :)

meesa77
Fri, Oct-21-05, 21:46
Past the first month... I know a guy that uses frozen tallow as a gum substitute

What is this? What does it taste like?
Thanks!

Hybrid
Sat, Oct-22-05, 10:26
question......why no gum after the first month????? I love gum!!!! sugar free of course!!!!

I want to say something about it causing excessive use of punctuation, but I'll be nice. It's the artificial sweetener.

Hybrid
Sat, Oct-22-05, 10:28
What is this? What does it taste like?
Thanks!

Tallow is rendered fat. Rendering removes the water from the fat and makes it much more pure. It also makes it hard for bacteria to eat it. It pretty much tastes like what it is... fat.

Jr8Fan
Mon, Oct-24-05, 10:15
I want to say something about it causing excessive use of punctuation, but I'll be nice. It's the artificial sweetener.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hybrid, you are just too funny! But you look so serious in your picture. ;)

Hybrid
Tue, Oct-25-05, 10:42
sorry...but I disagree with doing the low fat diet if your gonna be hungry!

On pure health issues, I'd agree. On an economics side, it is less expensive to eat a diet with very little meat and mostly cereal. Beans and rice is very inexpensive compared to a high-meat diet. While "healthy" may add a little more to a low-fat diet's price, "healthy" on a low-carb diet means expensive things like grass-fed beef, buffalo, omega-3 enriched eggs, Jones All Natural Breakfast Sausage, replacing peanut butter with real nut butters, and other things that can get quite expensive quite fast. Whenever I "tried" a low-fat diet in the past five years, it was always because I was very low on funds and was trying to save money. The main reason I'm back on NeanderThin is that I'm finally, for the first time in my life, being paid over $30K. Today, some of that is going to bacon and to paper towels... can't do a high-fat diet unless you're willing to clean up after all the grease.

So, if you're going to be hungry, you may as well do it on the cheap.

Jr8Fan
Tue, Oct-25-05, 10:50
Speaking of cheap food. I work with young single mothers who are unemployed. A lot of them are severely overweight. When we talk about budgetting, they are eating a lot or Oodles of Noodles and Ramen to make ends meet. It is 10 packs for a dollar here, but they are basically starching their clothes from the inside out! I feel for them.

When we talk about emotional and physical health, I try to touch on nutrition and give them some information on what healthy carbs are. They are only about 19-25 years of age and it hurts me to see them so unhealthy with several children to care for.

They all think I am small....compared to them I am....but I tell them all the time that I am severely overweight by anyone's standards!

Hybrid
Tue, Oct-25-05, 12:49
Hybrid, you are just too funny! But you look so serious in your picture. ;)

Thanks, I'm going to post an intro to the intro forum today explaining my avitar.