PDA

View Full Version : Getting on the scale!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Sheliadc
Fri, Oct-14-05, 07:40
How often do you get on the scale? I think I'm obsessing too much over actual pounds lost. I get on the scale every morning. I know that I'm also losing inches because my clothes are fitting much better.

Qmass
Fri, Oct-14-05, 08:01
A lot of people will warn you against getting on the scale every day, but I don't think it's bad, as long as you remember that your weight will go up and down as a result of things like how much food you have undigested in your body and your level of hydration. So as long as you don't freak out about the minor daily ups and downs, I don't think once a day is bad. It's what I do.

And doing it at the same time every day, preferably first thing in the morning, helps to minimize those daily swings.

black57
Fri, Oct-14-05, 10:18
I agree with Qmass. I weigh daily. The scale keeps me on target with what I eat and how I exercise. If I gain, I can easily figure out what is causing a problem or what is beneficial by weighing daily. I know how to control my portions and how often I should eat by weighing myself on a daily basis. I try not to obsess about anything so if I gain a lb or 2, I am not alarmed...I just make adjustments. My eating habits have developed from my daily weight.

zorra_1
Fri, Oct-14-05, 15:14
I was really obsessed with the scale, getting on several times a day. I only think it's a problem when that number determines the rest your day. It took a long time to get to the point where a few pounds shift upward didn't bother me.

Hybrid
Sat, Oct-15-05, 23:23
Every 6 to 8 days is what I do. If I plateau, I measure ketone levels daily. At my weight, a 1 pound movement up or down is rather trivial compared to the total, but purple pee paper is particularly priceless.

Laydebleu
Sun, Oct-16-05, 03:32
I weigh daily and sometimes multiple times a day. I find I have learned how my weight changes throughout my day. It helps me stay focused. While I weigh daily, my offical weigh day is Friday's and that is the weight I document.

witchiejen
Sun, Oct-16-05, 07:39
purple pee paper is particularly priceless.

What a plethora of alliteration! :lol:

I weigh in and measure on Sunday mornings...however if it's during my TOM
I either won't weigh in, or I'll disregard the weight because I know I retain water.

Weighing in daily does nothing but hurt me mentally...I did it for awhile and daily variations just kept me freaked out, even though I know they aren't that big a deal. So I just don't do it.

PurpleJane
Sun, Oct-16-05, 09:48
It's so nice to read from others that weigh daily! :agree: I've a tendancy to do this. :D

neela26
Sun, Oct-16-05, 11:07
I weighed daily while in induction because I saw losses almost everyday. As the weight started to come off slower and slower I decided getting on the scale everyday wasn't a good idea for me.

I also thought only weighing once a week was bad too. I found that I would weigh in and then "relax" on the way I ate, thinking I would catch up buy weigh in time. I'd say to myself, "If I have this today, all I have to do is be good for the next 4 days". Four days, became 3, then 2, then 1, and I wouldn't even get on the scale anymore. So now, I weigh in twice a week, Tuesdays, and Fridays, I find it works out GREAT for me. Keeps me honest all week long.

Purvi