PDA

View Full Version : Help!! I slipped and am mad at myself now.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

mojo2005
Wed, Oct-12-05, 22:30
Yes, it's true. I didn't make it 2 whole days. I'm so upset with myself. I went out with my son and got so hungry, I couldn't take it. :(

I can't seem to get focused. I'm not going out for awhile till I'm over my craving part of the plan. I did find new recipes to try which I got excited about, and got those ready for myself.

I just don't know what to do right now.

Thanks for suggestions if you send them.

Cacey
Thu, Oct-13-05, 00:51
I had the exact same problem last week! First week of induction and I gave in! But, through support through this site and my significant other, I just carried on the next day.

Today is day 14 of induction and I have lost a few pounds. I'm starting to feel better. The cravings are gone. And I've got more energy!

Just get yourself through the first two weeks! You won't be sorry!

bsheets
Thu, Oct-13-05, 01:39
Look at each thing that causes you to slip up and find out ways to make sure it doesn't happen again. If it was your hunger and lack of options while out that caused this slip up, plan for ways to make sure this doesn't happen ... go to a place that serves lc food or take your own with you just in case.

I'm about to start taking my own medicine by the way too ... :)

e

Qmass
Thu, Oct-13-05, 07:46
Whenever I leave the house to do errands for more than an hour or so, I bring a little cooler with my lunch in it - turkey or tuna salad, a few cubes of cheese, slices of avocado, diet coke, almonds, an Atkins shake. I always have this kind of food around the house, and it takes me less than a minute to throw it in a cooler.

I don't always end up eating it - sometimes I don't get hungry while I am out, and I just put the stuff back in the fridge when I get home. But if I do get hungry, it's the easiest and most accessible stuff, so it's what I eat.

Other advantages are that it saves me money compared to a restaurant or fast food, and it's quicker. I just eat in the car in a parking lot, or if it's nice out, I might sit outside and take a break. When I'm out doing errands, I am glad not to add another hour onto my trip by having to find a restaurant!

By the way, I don't eat ALL that food in one lunch! So there's still something in the car if I get hungry a few hours later and am still out.

Good luck! This gets easier as you get some routines set up.

zajack
Thu, Oct-13-05, 09:07
What kind of slip was it...were you out driving around? If so...then make a point of grabbing something you dont have to beat yourself up for...a salad or a burger no bun. Listen to these folks and have something in the car with you. If you're going to a function...eat first and pack a little something in your car as well if you expect it to be a long day. Going to a football game? Bring some wings, celery, and bleu cheese or ranch...You CAN do it. Honest.

Hybrid
Sun, Oct-16-05, 18:14
I remember in 2001 I was trying, trying, trying to get back into the swing of things. I kept telling myself, "I'd rather be hungry then eat something that isn't really food." Needless to say, it didn't work. I'd eat Forbidden Fruits even when I wasn't all that hungry.

What works better for me is always having food on hand. The most portable item appears to be pork rinds. The drawback is that they're quite salty, and usually require water. Nuts are a good second choice. Just having the stuff in sight is a psychological comfort, and knowing I can eat a bit whenever I want to helps me to avoid non-food items.

Another trick that has helped me is just having a word for it: pica. Pica is the medical term for eating something that is not normally considered food: ice, dust, sand, etc. It's rather common, actually. At times, it is a sign of nutritional deficiency. The most well known is the correlation between craving ice and low iron. I sometimes ask myself, when a craving gets strong, "what does my body require?" Because my diet is based on the principle "what the body cannot acquire, the body cannot require," I'm usually able to find a suitable substitute for whatever non-transitory craving pops us.