PDA

View Full Version : Blending Atkins with everyday life

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

bsheets
Wed, Oct-12-05, 03:17
Hi all,

Had a few attempts at Induction with Atkins and it's worked well, felt a lot better, the food was great etc. My problem is I can't keep it going passed a social thing. Anytime there's a party or something similar it always breaks because I don't know how to keep it going throughout. How do you guys do it?? The ones out there that have maintained for like 2 years... how?

My social gatherings involve alcohol but I abstain when doing Atkins. Should I relax a bit with this, considering it's a life change, and have some? I don't get how you can have a nice tasting alcoholic drink while lc (I don't consider straight rum tasty). And in the middle of the evening when you've got the munchies and your friends that are over offer you the chips going round. You can say no but... I get the munchies too! I have never even seen pork rinds around. And what about when you go to a wedding and the reception has a set menu?

These are things that have happened just in the last fortnight and happen regularly. I don't want to be forever doing induction to get those cravings out of my system. (and I would think you'd be more likely to develop diabetes with this kind of behaviour)

Low fat is easier to incorporate into my lifestyle - the general public accepts it, so you're not having those stupid lectures all the time, and you can have some of those chips being passed around. Just as long as you don't eat the whole bag.

But I don't feel as good physically when low fat and very hungry. But seriously considering going back. I just can't do this up-down-up-down all the time.

How do you guys do it?

e

Lolita24
Wed, Oct-12-05, 03:56
I can totally relate to what you are saying. It's a tough one. I think however, that any specific form of diet (as a lifestyle) is hard to stick with 100% for every single situation. There are just some circumstances in which you unavoidably have to make a compromise...even if it just means eating more carbs in the form of veggies. I have only been doing Atkins for about a month now, so I don't know if my response is the best, but I am going to give it a shot...

When I go out for a social event, I first evaluate its importance, the possible food choices, whether or not I can bring my own LC dish (without looking like a big dork, or without offending others) etc. If it is something that occurs frequently, (ie family birthday parties) and I know that its not the last time I will ever have the chance to eat cake and ice cream, then I turn down whatever is not LC and make sure that I eat a good meal before the party just in case the LC choices are skimpy and so I don't starve.

As far as munchies go when I am out with the girls, I usually will turn down the nonLC stuff and actually ASK if the host can break out the nuts or veggies. Usually they have no problem doing so, because its sounds good to them too. I admit that sometimes I will even take a chip, but then feel so guilty that I cannot bring myself to take another one.

As far as weddings go, usually there is always some form of meat and veggie (rarely do they serve pasta as the main dish) If the meat is breaded, I try to descretely work around the breaded part. For the dessert, I usually will take a bite (bad, I know) and then will pon the rest off on my date...I figure, his bootie can handle it better than mine! hahaha

With regards to alcohol, I usually opt for rum and diet coke...which I hated in the beginning, but it is now growing on me. Other options are diet orange/lemon sodas with vodka. When mixing your own drink, splenda can be added to sweeten up the sharp tastes. This is just a matter of exploring your options. Don't quote me, but I think Smirnoff makes flavored alcohols which have no carbs, so their mix with diet coke is better (ie vanilla vodka with d coke.)

I find low fat/low calorie diets harder to maintain when it comes to social situations (and in general). Chips are not low fat or low calorie. When going out to restaurants, the food is usually always cooked or dressed with oil/fat. Alcohol is highly caloric too...specially when mixed with fruit juices.

It is very important to be strict during induction, but if you find that it is hard to stay faithful to more than 2 weeks of induction, move on to the next step. Like I mentioned before, it is important to analyze the situation. If you are travelling and you know you will never get to try that exotic dessert ever again in your life, enjoy it and keep the rest of the day LC.

Well I hope this wasn't a bunch of hoopla...this is how I tend to view my LC lifestyle.

zorra_1
Wed, Oct-12-05, 07:57
Have you looked over any of the other plans here? CAD maybe right for you and your active social life! :lol: You would adhere to LC for 2 meals and then you'd have your reward meal. I would look into it if I were you.

cs_carver
Wed, Oct-12-05, 11:21
I don't go places when I'm hungry and likely to be stuck without LC alternatives; I don't drink liquor anyway so that's never a problem, and I eat the lowest carb of available options when all else fails. I also don't talk about what I'm eating and I rarely explain myself to anyone.

When I do go to places that I'm not sure will have LC, I take LC alternatives--the latest round is a big bowl of almonds and a plate of cheese.

I haven't been able to "not eat the whole bag" of high carb snacks / foods / etc. in ages. Maybe you're younger than me or have better willpower. I have just found it easier to eliminate the dangerous high carb foods and to heck with it.

JaneDough
Wed, Oct-12-05, 14:27
I just can't do this up-down-up-down all the time.

I know nothing about maintenance but have a question: Won't you have the same challenges on a low-fat plan? Alcohol, chips, socializing and fixed menus will still be issues if you're trying to control your consumption of just about anything. I wish you all the best as you sort it out.

zajack
Wed, Oct-12-05, 16:46
Most of the time i've managed to find something i could eat at private parties and if I'm worried about it...I'll eat a bit before going. If I'm bringing a dish to a private party...I make it something i can eat that others will enjoy too, like the chicken brocolli bake with both bread crisps and veggies for dipping or wings or just a simple veggie tray) When out...especially if you're at a bar or restaurant, you can almost always get nuts, a side salad, wings, or a hot veggie dip (usually served with bread crisps...just ask for celery or broc to dip). I went to a concert and had wings in the car in a cooler for afterward in case i was hungry and needed something. It's almost always manageable.

As for drinks, try vanilla vodka in diet coke, captain morgans & diet, tequila on the rocks (tall glass, salted rim)and bring your own liquid crystal light lemonade and ask for some limes to squeeze in it....yes I've done this cause sometimes, frankly, I just want a margarita! Especially if at a mexican restaurant! :lol:

Hope that helps some. I can tell you for sure, that it's easier when you're not self conscious. Before I had lost a noticable amount of weight....it was embarassing if someone commented on my food choices or that I brought my own mixer to a bar. Now, I'm good to go. If someone comments on my crystal light...i just say "yep...I'm in the mood for one and need it to be low-carb, so this is what I do." If they question me any further about low-carbing, they quickly turn from a bit condescending to fairly impressed and understanding once they know how much I've lost. Changes their whole attitude about it. Back before I could spout off a high number of pounds lost...it wasnt so easy.

bsheets
Thu, Oct-13-05, 02:16
Thanks so much, I knew I could count on you guys!

I guess I just put so much effort into blending low fat into my life that I don't really want to go through it all over again with low carb.

It's just low fat has become increasingly difficult as I've shed the weight - you need to keep eating less and less calories.

Zorra, I've never looked into CAD. I don't know how the idea of a 'reward' meal would be beneficial though. They had something similar when I tried Herbalife and it didn't work well for the way my head thinks. I like to think all food is equal, you just have different amounts of each. To think there are types that are 'rewards' I don't think would work too well for me.

JaneDough, by low fat I mean WW. You can have those chips when following WW, just limit to 50g and it uses 5.5 points. And people understand when you go without the fatty foods and eat the high carb foods but if you do it the other way around I tend to get questions and "advice". Even from people working in shops.

I might give the flavoured vodkas a try, as suggested. Means I'm limited to long drinks and not shots or cocktails or anything though. Hmmm I guess it's just adjusting I wish would do it by itself hehehe.

zajakc, I've started eating before going places too but it means my food bills have increased. And already I study part time and work two casual jobs. Being in Australia generally means a few differences - I don't think I've ever been to a get-together in my life where bringing a plate has been necessary (or even welcome). And rarely do restaurants sell bowls of nuts, wings or hot veggie dips. Maybe I need to do a bit more research then ...

Who was it that asked how old I am? Can't find it by skimming but I'm 23years old, live in my house and newly with my boyfriend. I regularly have people over for drinks and chats. Hit the clubbing scene pretty often. Attend other people's parties and things. Generally, very social and otherwise busy.

Maybe I'm just taking too much on at one time ... but I don't want to end up a blimp because my life is busy.

BUT, this is an optimistic post. I want to THANK EVERYONE AGAIN for your responses. I have now made the decision to readjust my life to lc (as I did with low fat). I'm looking into getting a big freezer too and maybe doing that once-a-month cooking. That should help tons when at work (and faced with free scones and cakes). Not sure about tea though, I need it a lot when doing the 7am shifts. I can't drink it without milk and decaffeinated doesn't have the desired effect.

Thanks again! I'll be keeping my journal posted with how my adjustment goes (and here if it doesn't annoy anyone heheh).

e