PDA

View Full Version : When does Middle-age Begin

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Dodger
Tue, Oct-11-05, 09:51
I'm 58 years old and I'm still convinced that I'll get to be middle-aged in another 5 years or so. Should I bit the bullet and admit that my graying hair, receding hairline, assorted wrinkles, bifocals and mailings from AARP may be signs that I have passed the boundary into middle agedness?

Parisfox
Wed, Oct-12-05, 21:40
Well, if you are going to live to be 240, you haven't hit middle age yet. :lol:

Since you would need to live to 116 for 58 to be the "middle," I'd say, "Yes...admit it. Just don't be depressed by it. Getting "older" sure beats dying young....doesn't it? :agree:

So...enjoy life...feel good about yourself, and be proud of your years of experience and wisdom. I do and I am.

Dodger
Thu, Oct-13-05, 20:18
What is wrong with living to be 240? Methuselah lived to be 969 and he never complained! How about I admit to being 'young middle-aged'?

spacey52
Thu, Nov-10-05, 13:21
I think middle age starts when you want it too. Heck if I went by gray hair I would have hit it in high school when mine started turning gray. Now at 55, almost 56, gray hair, glasses and a cane I still feel 26. I look 56 and some might even say older, some have said younger but it's really a state of mind and oh the state my mind is in.....

acadkate
Thu, Nov-10-05, 13:47
A former student told me I was middle age, I was only 34 at the time. I guess if I only live to 68 I'm middle age. I still feel like a teenager, a wiser more mature teenager. My children are young and I work with young adults. I'm not much older than they are untill they make comments like that. My students keep getting younger and I older, oh well. You're as young as you feel.

Rocks
Thu, Nov-10-05, 14:10
The older I get, the higher the number for being middle aged becomes! :lol:

bkloots
Sat, Nov-19-05, 19:43
As one of the first of the Baby Boom generation, I reject labels! "Middle age" only means a number somewhere in the middle of life. It isn't a lifestyle. I do embrace it at ticket windows. If the senior discount starts at 55, I'll take it. Thanks.

The main problem is: I work in an office filled with kids who weren't even a glimmer when I started working there. They probably think I'm old. And even wise. Little do they know. Between the ears, I'm still 23, the "new kid"--and having more fun than they are.

Duparc
Mon, Feb-13-06, 18:44
When I was in my 40s I felt young and fit and when I hit my 50s I still felt that way but I almost never survived my 50s. The cumulative effect of a vegetarian diet took its toll when I had to have a quadruple by-pass aged 60. During this decade I had a few other .....etomies connected to catabolism!

Between 60 and 65 I was waiting to die until I discovered that the medication I was given was almost killing me and made me feel awful. My own studies and intervention into my own medical care brought in its wake a remarkable cure to which my GP is aware but doesn't accept! In the past 10 years I have been reborn and it is all connected to improvement to my diet and a few choice off-label medications of my own.

From that experience and that of observation of the health and ages of others I would suggest that early old age begins around the mid 50s and advanced old-age around the mid 70s but middle-age, whatever that is, had no effect on me except a little greying and a shiny top that never seemed to distract contemporary females. It is probably correct to say that you cannot hold back the clock but you sure can slow it down!

In a few short days I will be 75 and as I keep mentioning in my posts, I feel fit and do not suffer from any aches nor pains; I still do the occasional workout, and on the more intimate side, I continue to have a healthy libido and continue to feel that I have a future or to put those sentiments in another way; I am not old, just long-lived! Since I had my cardiac operation I guess that I have heart problems which may subsequently take me out but presently that doesn't feel likely so my quality of life is excellent.

My only problem is with my daughters who insist on worrying about my age! So far I have out-lived a granddaughter, a daughter, and my first wife, which is a sad commentary indeed but looking at the Sumo-wrestler sizes of my remaining daughters and their skin appearance, I am beginning to wonder if I am about to out-live them!

Could middle-age be a female phenomenon?

Parisfox
Tue, Feb-14-06, 11:02
DuParc....with your great "attitude" you probably will outlive your kids. Too bad they don't take a hint and do what you are doing. It would undoubtedly improve their health too. What meds did they have you on that were having a diliterious effect? They've got me on a statin, Lipitor, but I am really thinking about refusing to continue taking it considering the possible side-effects.

Where in Scotland is Kirriemuir? Haven't been to Scotland yet, but it's on my agenda in the next couple of years.

GonnaDoIt!
Tue, Feb-14-06, 12:10
Duparc -

It just goes to show you, no one knows "YOU" better than you do! I dare say your "not going down without a fight" attitude, along with some great cantankerous stubborness keeps you one step ahead of those Doubting-Thomases. I love your style!!!!

Duparc
Mon, Feb-27-06, 18:49
It is now 11 years since I came off the prescription medication but I believe it was called Atenolol (?). It left me with a constant migraine, loss of confidence, fear of driving and of heights, constant neurological problems, and generally feeling so awful that I did not expect to see the next day. Five long years later I decided to read up on the medication and from there began what became something of a hobby for the next 10 years, that of pharmacology. I soon discovered the medication that was right for me and tested it before approaching my GP to battle with him to have it prescribed. He still harbours doubts that it was the medication that I had chosen that restored my health!

Kirriemuir is situated at the south eastern edge of the grampian hills and is a parochial little town with a newspaper known as the 'Kirrie Squeak' which most buy to find out what their neighbours are up to. It is situated just off the Dundee to Aberdeen main road and its claim to fame is that, it is where the author of Peter Pan, James Barry, was born and died. It is also reputed that the Hollywood actor Daivid Niven was born here which was more through accident than design. Seemingly his parents were on journey (at the turn of the 20c) and stopped overnight at a local hostelry when his mother gave birth to him (an interesting little tale but I cannot vouch for its authenticity although I am given to believe that it has some basis in truth).

Dodger
Mon, Feb-27-06, 19:22
Kirriemuir is situated at the south eastern edge of the grampian hillsIs that the warm and sunny part of Scotland?

Rachel1
Mon, Feb-27-06, 23:01
At 50, I guess others might see me as middle-aged. I prefer Mae West's motto: I'm old enough to know better, and young enough to enjoy it!

Another philosophy I live by: Youth is but fleeting ... immaturity is forever!

Parisfox
Tue, Feb-28-06, 14:05
Duparc.....I went to mapquest and found your little piece of heaven. It's just north of Padanaram and Roundyhill...if I've found the right place.

Rachel....I love Mae West's motto. Have pretty much made it my own....at least at times. :lol:

Duparc
Tue, Feb-28-06, 15:19
Parisfox Spot-on! The town has an expanding population (like most urban areas) and today's numbers are around 7,000.

Dodger Cannot quite make-up my mind whether you are being a little facetious or simply serious, but, at this present moment the temperature is -6c and there is a blizzard in progress which is predicted to last for most of the week!

In the summer, it rains!

The population here seldom suffers from sunburn, only rust, and the green is not grass, but lichen.

Fikirimi
Wed, Mar-22-06, 12:42
I hope I'm middle aged! Don't really think I want to be around much longer than 106 years! :)

Duparc, I was going to say it sounds like you live in a lovely place until I read the part about the blizzard! :)

Rocks
Wed, Mar-22-06, 13:51
I hope you start a journal Fikirimi! You're only a month and 15 days older than me! We could co-miserate!! :lol: :lol:

BKM
Fri, Apr-28-06, 13:45
I'll be 62 this summer - and I guess I'm middle-aged. Certainly not old! :lol:

I've noticed some wrinkling starting, but I am ever so much healthier than the young (30-somethings) that I work with - I weigh less, haven't any (known) medical problems, and am far more active and limber than most of them.

Good genes plus fairly rigid adherence to eating right and exercising (gently) on a regular basis.

yung1
Fri, Apr-28-06, 14:03
Amen!

I turned 49 on Tuesday! I'm SOO EXCITED to be in the last year of my 40's.

I think age is a combination of attitude, staying active (both physically & mentally) and genetics.

My Dad is 82. He looks like he's 65. He watches his diet, does Tai Chi daily.

His secret?? He hangs out with younger people and stays miles away from the Senior Center....He claims that too much converstaion about who died and what medication you're on is just to TOO DEPRESSING!

Dodger
Fri, Apr-28-06, 15:19
His secret?? He hangs out with younger people and stays miles away from the Senior Center....He claims that too much converstaion about who died and what medication you're on is just to TOO DEPRESSING!Every time that I look at the activities and programs that the Senior Center here has, I feel sorry for those who attend. If you don't feel old when you go in, you will when you leave.

yung1
Fri, Apr-28-06, 16:08
Hey Dodger:

I live in Colorado too! :wave: Up in Steamboat Springs. I think our Colorado lifestyle has TONS to do with being, acting & staying younger. I don't know about Longmont, but up here if you are 70 years old and you want to take up a new sport or hobby most every one is totally supportive.

It's not uncommon to see people in their 70' & 80's riding bikes, skiing, hiking, camping etc...

You should see my boyfriend. He's 56 years young, 5'11' tall 165 lbs. Tall & lean! We are both PROUD of being 49 & 55...we try to be living examples to our younger friends. We hang out with a group of folks that range in age from the 20's, 30's, 40's & 50's (one guy is in his mid 70's and we motorcycle & ski with him!!!)

I wonder is it like that out side of Colorado or is our state an anomaly? Yung1

Born2run
Tue, May-02-06, 11:56
:cool: :cool: :cool: I've always made it my Motto that your as young as you want to be. at 54 I won't accept that I'm middle aged :idea:. Although I don't have the flexibility I did when I was younger but am working on it. Judy

yung1
Tue, May-02-06, 14:59
Born2run:

Boy isn't that the truth! Have you ever tried the stability/exercise ball? It really helps w/flexability & core strength.
I supplement my diet w/ glucosamine sulfate. It makes the "gravel" crunching sound in my knees & neck go away! Look it up. It helps keep you flexible & lubes your joints.
Now when I walk up the stairs it doesn't sound like I'm walking on corn flakes! :lol:

banter
Tue, May-02-06, 17:22
Hi! I didn' realize there was an over-50s Forum :) I'm 56 and I've gotten used to being middle-aged. Actually, I'm beginning to enjoy it. I like being in the middle - young enough to have some fight in me, but old enough to have some perspective on life.

I remember when I was a young child, having just learned that the average lifespan (at that time) was 70 AND having just learned how to divide, I told my mother, who explained that today was her 35th birthday, "Oh, you're middle-aged!!!" She was NOT amused. Now, of course, 35 sounds so....young.

Born2run
Wed, May-03-06, 09:15
I think I might try glucosamine sulfate thanks for the tip. I have been doing yoga hoping that would keep me limber, but I tend to have less of a range of motion lately. I keep on working on it though. Judy

yung1
Thu, May-04-06, 11:41
Born2run:

If you do, it usually takes at least 1 month to feel any appreciable difference.....be patient.....
one day you'll realize that your jonts are feeling better. Not a "cure all/magic pill" but it really made a difference for me!

Welcome to the forum Banter!

BKM
Thu, May-04-06, 12:01
I take glucosamine chondroitin - it takes a month or so to kick in, but then you discover that you can bend at the knees, sit yoga-style, etc. - the stuff is great but it does take a while to get started....

We have our dogs on it too!

Hellistile
Fri, May-05-06, 15:57
I feel very young. The old lady with gray hair in the mirror is someone else and I see her rarely.

yung1
Mon, May-08-06, 13:50
My motto: Pick an age & stick with it!

Haven't we all met young persons that seem OLD? I love meeting other "Middle agers" that seem young, because their out look on life is youthful. I have a friend that is in her late 60's, she's a vibrant powerhouse!! I want to be like her when I grow up.

Lindym
Sun, May-21-06, 21:47
Today is my 54th BD and I defiantly am not old (what ever that is).
My DH, also 54 (last week) and I are in excellent health, and do what we want. Last summer we got our scuba diving certificates and plan to continue using them ;)

Lcing is just part of our WOL; not only do we enjoy the food but we feel great and don't get sick.

Life is grand :thup:

yung1
Mon, May-22-06, 10:52
Happy birthday Lindy!!
:bday:
It's awesome that you & hubby are certified. I have my advanced cert. Love diving!!
I got my motorcycle license in July 2005. Purchased a 650 Suzuki in Sept. and am really enjoying it!

"To stay young, play young."
"The couple (family) that plays together stays together."

HairOnFire
Wed, Jun-21-06, 10:14
I'm 58 years old and I'm still convinced that I'll get to be middle-aged in another 5 years or so. Should I bite the bullet and admit that my graying hair, receding hairline, assorted wrinkles, bifocals and mailings from AARP may be signs that I have passed the boundary into middle agedness?

No, but everything you described (except the receding hairline) :) describes me as well. And I'm 47. I feel better now than I did in my 20s and 30s, and I wasn't even overweight in my 20s. And thanks to a great colorist, I keep the gray away.

Sorry, but 58 is the new 28, even with AARP mailings! ;)

JAnn
Wed, Jun-21-06, 11:23
I'm just a few months shy of 60 and consider myself middle-aged. Why?

When I was young I:
Worried about what other people thought
Felt that if I didn't have a perfect body I was lacking
Followed low fat diets
Followed the latest styles
Could be easily intimidated
Wore bras and nylons every day
Was concerned about wrinkles, gray hair and aging

At middle age I:
Am more confident
Smile more often
Like who I am and what I've accomplished
Set my own pace
Found the low carb way
Set my own style
Can stare just about anyone down
Dare to go without nylons and often a bra when it's hot
Accept that old age will eventually arrive (hopefully) and won't be as bad as I thought

Wisdom, confidence and acceptance comes with age. My youth may be behind me but I believe I am at my happiest and most productive part of my life is right now.

Hellistile
Fri, Jun-30-06, 13:33
No, but everything you described (except the receding hairline) :) describes me as well. Speaking of receding hairlines, I know it's a hormonal issue, but my hair is very thin on top. Is there any way to alleviate this without doing some heavy drug or hormonal treatments? Or is it a thyroid problem?

Butterly
Thu, Jul-06-06, 02:31
I'm 51 -- and feel great. No wrinkles, hair still almost all black ( a few greys here and there -- hardly visible) -- feel fit and flexible -- thanks to my cardio and yoga. I'm often mistaken to be much younger than I am :)
Anyway, I think age is just a chronological thing -- how is that important? Except on a superficial level. Actually, I find it is the young who feel the need to categorise people into age brackets. I find that as long as I don't reveal my age, younger people accept me as one of their own -- are free and without inhibitions -- but as soon as I tell them my age, suddenly curtains seem to drop in their eyes -- Weird, or what!

HairOnFire
Thu, Jul-06-06, 21:40
Speaking of receding hairlines, I know it's a hormonal issue, but my hair is very thin on top. Is there any way to alleviate this without doing some heavy drug or hormonal treatments? Or is it a thyroid problem?

Hellistile,

I happened to be reading an old thread earlier today about hair loss on induction, and some people seemed to have good results with biotin supplements. There is also a GNC supplement called Women's Skin, Hair & Nails, or something like that, which has some biotin in it.

Don't know if it's hormonal, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were. Are you in menopause? Because some menopausal women on the hair thread were talking about thinning hair. Seems hair loss on Atkins is pretty common.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13389

SunnyCarol
Sun, Jul-23-06, 13:54
I'm 58 years old and I'm still convinced that I'll get to be middle-aged in another 5 years or so. Should I bit the bullet and admit that my graying hair, receding hairline, assorted wrinkles, bifocals and mailings from AARP may be signs that I have passed the boundary into middle agedness?

You've got wrinkles? Did you know that if you put your fingertips on each side of your face and neck and pull back, they go away--for at least as long as you're looking in the mirror! LOL

I'm 56, and although I don't have too many wrinkles, I do have white hair, but an $8 bottle of blonde hair dye takes care of that! I'm not admitting to nuttin'! You're only as old as you think you are.

Sunny!

SunnyCarol
Sun, Jul-23-06, 14:46
Haven't we all met young persons that seem OLD? I love meeting other "Middle agers" that seem young, because their out look on life is youthful. I have a friend that is in her late 60's, she's a vibrant powerhouse!! I want to be like her when I grow up.

My son was BORN old! He had the cleanest room in the house and did a lot more chores than I gave him to do. He only missed two days of school in his life and he had surgery on one of them--his appendix out. He went to school the next day right after insisting that he be discharged. The other was the day of his father's funeral. When he was a teenager, I tried to get him to go out and stay out late once in a while. All he wanted to do was work. He would get in my car and say, "Mom, your radio is too loud." I would tell him if he was going to listen to country music, take it upstairs so I couldn't hear it!

The funniest was the year I turned 40. He sent me a dozen red roses and told his friends at work about it. One of his friends stared at him and said, "Your mother is 40? I thought YOU were 40!" He wasn't kidding. My son was 21 years old.

mskllsws
Tue, Jan-09-07, 20:18
Middle age, is the middle third of life in my opinion. Some are still quite young in middle age, and some are very very old. It is all mental.

In my family , women live to be ninety, so for my gene pool, middle age for me is 30-60, so at 52 I have to consider myself middle age.

With my low carb lifestyle, however, I am in better shape now than I was as a young adult, or even child. Everything is relative.

Karen

check out my gallery, after 110 pounds lost I am a new creation.

cricket56
Mon, Feb-25-08, 16:37
When you feel old, you are. :agree: I'm going on 62 and feel like I am 40. It was a good age.
My mom at age 87 wrote an article saying that the elderly do not feel elderly... would rather be called just "older". :)
I for one, will not give in to an elderly mentality. :thup:

SissyPoo
Sat, May-17-08, 16:51
I am 62 now and I still am not middle age yet.
Maybe a few more aches and pains but I feel young inside..........