PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast Meatballs

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Ruscod
Tue, Dec-04-01, 11:19
These are fantastic for breakfast or just to go snack: My sister in law gave me the recipe and I just made them for the first time. They are just too good! :daze:

Breakfast Meatballs:

2 lbs sausage
1 lb ground beef
3 eggs
2 TBS instant minced onion
1/2 lb shredded cheddar cheese
black pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients and mix well. Roll into 1-1/2" balls and place on cookie sheet. Bake 20-25 minutes. Makes about 50 meatballs. They freeze well after cooking for an anytime snack.

One meatball (approx.)
Calories: 87
Carbs: 0.137
Protein: 5.36

Sharon
Tue, Dec-04-01, 12:12
These look really good, I just might add these to my "Christmas Brunch" menu!!

debo
Fri, Mar-28-03, 16:36
Thank you so much for sharing this. I loved these and always struggle with breakfast. I would love to add a rating, but don't know how!

suzzee2003
Sat, Jun-07-03, 17:59
This is a great recipe...One of my very favorites! I just made up a fresh batch and had some for dinner with a salad! I just love them! :)

DeanaJane
Sat, Aug-23-03, 20:54
I made these today with a couple of changes. I used a pound of ground beef, turkey and sausage.

They are great.

Deana

STALLQUEEN
Wed, Sep-03-03, 07:47
sausage meat, you mean sausages in the casing, do you take the meat out of the casing, I really want to make a batch of these, tonight actually.

DeanaJane
Wed, Sep-03-03, 07:52
I loved them so much I made another batch this weekend. his time I added more onions and some green peppers to get some veggies in.
These are a great snack anytime of the day.

I used Jimmie Dean (SP). Regular old breakfast sausage. Not the sausage that is like Kelbasa I think that is in the casing your talking about. It's not the patties either. Hope this helps.

Enjoy
Deana

mind-full
Wed, Sep-03-03, 08:28
Heading out to bring home some Jimmy Dean right now!

This sounds good, and makes a great "keeper" dish for the 'fridge when my husband decides to get breakfast together.

Thanks!

To anyone not familar with bulk sausage, ground pork and some black pepper, sage, onion powder and a dash of salt gives great results in dishes.

hramsey76
Sun, Sep-07-03, 14:01
Thank god I'm full right now, I'd be running to the store now, your breakfast recipie sounds yummy!

nicksmom
Sun, Sep-07-03, 14:20
Thanks! Always looking for a new thing to try!

DWRolfe
Wed, Sep-10-03, 10:15
Sounds good to me! I'll make some this weekend...

Thanks!

Donald

babydoll23
Sun, Mar-07-04, 21:42
i made a batch of these this morning! i am allergic to eggs so i didn't use egg and i don't like onion so i used onion powder but even with these changes they are wonderful!! i even heated a few up for lunch. great recipe!

Norma June
Sun, Mar-21-04, 09:53
I did try the Breakfast Meatballs but I tweeked it quite a bit.

Because I'm on OWL I figured I could add the extra carbs so here's what i did:

I added chopped baby spinach, chopped mushrooms and celery, some garlic too. I stuck a cube of colby cheese in the middle.

It was awsome! I give it a two thumbs up!

http://www.smileycons.com/img/bonus/1110.gif http://www.smileycons.com/img/bonus/1110.gif
The only problem was, my husband ate them all .... now I gotta make more today. I'm making a big, big batch so I can freeze them. I've always struggled with breakfast because eggs are beginning to make me gag if I have them any more than twice a week.

Breakfast Meatballs is my new best friend ... that and Deep Dish Pizza Quiche!

KimCanada
Wed, Apr-14-04, 08:29
Are we talking Breakfast sausages or regular sausages with the meat taken out of the casings and grounded? I'm confused! LOL

Norma June
Wed, Apr-14-04, 09:41
Kim, the sausage meat is without casing. You can buy it in the frozen food section of the grocery store. One brand is Maple Leaf and I forget the brand name of one I've been buying as it's relatively new. You just gotta try these meatballs, they're yummy!

http://www.smileycons.com/img/bonus/1110.gif

BlitzedAng
Thu, May-13-04, 17:25
I have yet to find a jimmy dean sauasage that has NO SUGAR. I read all the labels and they all contain sugar.. Hmmmmm

webgyrl
Fri, Jun-11-04, 08:20
If you go to your grocer's meat counter, they generally have ground sausage there...MUCH better than anything prepackaged, IMO :-)

I tweaked this recipe and did a combo with one of my gluten-free meatball recipes. YUMMY!

1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground pork sausage (grocer's fresh meat section)
2 eggs
1 Tbl powdered milk (2 carbs)
1 Tbl soy sauce (1 carb)
2 Tbls peanut butter, the plain kind (2 net carbs)
3/4 tsp ginger
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
6 ounce shredded cheddar cheese

Mix together and bake at 350 until done. 25 mins +/-.

Makes 30-40 depending on size.

SOOOOOOO delicious! :-)

-Cherie
http://www.webgyrl.net

superaunt
Thu, Jun-23-05, 10:59
Finally gave these a whirl and they're NOT BAD -- especially when dipped in some lc ketchup!! And they freeze great so great to make a big batch and munch on all week long!!! :)

Parisfox
Mon, Aug-15-05, 15:53
Hi....I am the originator of this recipe and it was Jimmy Dean Breakfast sausage (in the roll) in the original recipe. :yum:

Kielbasa wouldn't work at all. :lol:

glo
Mon, Sep-26-05, 08:36
anyone know the fate content of the original recipe?

Parisfox
Mon, Sep-26-05, 12:28
:wave: That would totally depend on what brand Sausage you use, what the fat content of the hamburger is that you use (e.g. 10% fat; 15% fat; 20% fat), etc.

You can run the recipe through at www.lifeform.com for however you would make it to get the counts for the way you are going to do it. I tried LifeForm free and then liked it so well I bought it. Couldn't live without it for homemade things. :agree:

MammaC
Tue, Sep-27-05, 06:18
This sounds really good. Thanks. I'm thinking they would be really good for supper, too simmered in some LC spaghetti sauce, or LC bbq sauce.

Angeltt
Tue, Nov-04-08, 18:16
I just fixed a batch of these and OMG they are sooo good! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe!!! I am so sick of eggs for breakfast so this will be a wonderful break!!!!! :yum:

feelskinny
Tue, Nov-04-08, 18:26
Great idea. Thanks for posting!

Mrs.T
Thu, Nov-06-08, 13:10
Made these last night for in the morning. I forgot the onion and only used 1 pound of ea. meat and 2 eggs, and less cheese and cooked on a broiler pan. These are so good. I think I made mine a little big (maybe close to 2" balls), and one is so filling. My husband isn't fighting me so much about this diet now (that he has had great success w/ in the past). Thanks so much!

mmonden
Sun, Nov-23-08, 20:34
Good Idea! I made this with 20/80 ground round, parmesan cheese, ms. dash (a little), oregano (alot), amd minced onion and garlic. I put them in a frying pan with about 3-4mm of EVOO and browned them. Then after brown on all sides, I put them on a cookie sheet and baked for 15 min. Ate them with some ketchup. They were awsome..they tased like lamb. Thanks foe the idea.
MMonden

WIP
Sat, Jan-10-09, 23:24
mmmm. we made 2 batches that we tweaked
1) 2:1 ground beef to sausage & added minced mini-portobello mushrooms
2) 2:1 ground beef to sausage, added the minced mushrooms and swapped the sausage for a handful of real bacon bits.

Yummy stuff. made a great munchy dinner tonight

Iowagirl
Tue, Jan-19-10, 22:33
These sound great! I am going to get ground Italian sausage as I am not a fan of the breakfast variety. Maybe throw in some of those mushrooms WIP mentioned. These meatballs and some Ranch dressing - great snack or meal!!

missymagoo
Wed, Jan-20-10, 08:37
sounds pretty good. sue

Iowagirl
Thu, Jan-21-10, 21:29
These were a little spicey for me. Next time I'll use 2# hamburger and one pound of sausage. Still, a good recipe and it made plenty. Thanks!

Tula
Wed, Apr-16-14, 21:18
I made these today and hubby had them for supper and LOVED them. I on the other hand shall have them for breakie as eggs can get dull after even a short while. Thanks for sharing these and giving the values. Much appreciated.

Carol1
Tue, Apr-29-14, 12:55
Yum....but I did not think that Paleo could have cheese?

srobertsaz
Tue, Jun-17-14, 10:17
I made these on Sunday and boy were they delish! Thank you for sharing!

mae_west
Sun, Oct-04-15, 10:28
This is by far my most favorite low carb easy lunch food recipe. Thank you!

Birddog
Sat, Nov-28-15, 16:08
These are excellent. There is a new batch in my freezer.

BenLC
Mon, Aug-14-17, 21:20
Mouth watering goodness. I actually cooked these up last night but I just added a nice ton of Garlic!! Great recipe thanks for sharing

mushmonste
Sat, Apr-07-18, 08:53
Amazing, thanks for sharing!

Rob77
Sat, Apr-07-18, 18:42
Wow, those sound really good! I think I'll make a batch and toss a few in the pan with scrambled eggs in the mornings.