PDA

View Full Version : New LC'er, new to this forum...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

DeeMcC
Tue, Dec-04-01, 10:12
Hello everyone! :) I'm a new LC'er and new to this forum. I just started this *lifestyle* the middle of last month, and have lost 12 pounds so far. I didn't have much luck sticking with it over Thanksgiving, mainly because I spent the holiday in Alabama, which by definition is a high-carb state! LOL!

I gained back 3 pounds in 6 days, but I have lost those 3, plus 1 more, since returning home and getting back with my program.

I consider myself very reactive to carbs, and so I find myself living on slightly more than what's allowed during the Atkin's Induction Phase. The only pure carb I allow myself is a spoonful of sugar with my coffee. I'd rather lose slower than give that up. Plus, I do not believe in the consumption of artificial sweeteners of any kind, because I just don't trust them.

The main reason I started LC'ing is because I need to lose a total of 56 pounds, plus my triglycerides were on the borderline of being too high. My cholesterol is great, as are all my other health indicators. But I feel like with the high triglycerides, extra weight, plus the fact that I had gestational diabetes with my 2nd pregnancy, that I am insulin resistant and on the way to full-blown diabetes if I don't fix this now. Better to do it before I am really sick.

Dee

gwilson38
Tue, Dec-04-01, 10:18
Nice to meet U!! Low carbing is certainly the best way of life. U seem to have a good handle on it since after thanks giving U got back on track. That can be a real hard thing to do if U are new so congrats. As long as U feel well and are losing weight or inches no matter how slow then do whatever works for U. I would suggest cutting out the sugar sometime...but its all a personal choice. Good luck!!

itsjoyful
Tue, Dec-04-01, 11:12
way to go on the weight loss. i can relate with the diabetes scare, every single person on my mother's side (grandparents) has diabetes.
well, welcome, and post often to keep us informed on your journey.
regards,
brenda
p.s. - there is a natural alternative to AS. it's stevia. sold in health food stores, and is considered a supplement. it comes from a plant and is quite potent.
hth,
brenda

Atriana
Tue, Dec-04-01, 12:12
Have you tried Splenda (sucralose)? It is made from real sugar, has no known side effects, and really does taste like sugar.

DeeMcC
Wed, Dec-05-01, 12:44
Thanks for the welcome, everyone!

I have not tried Splenda and probably won't ever. I am especially avoiding sucralose, because to date, only a few small studies have been perfomed on it -- perhaps even less than 20! Whereas well over 2,000 have been followed on saccharine, by comparison. Sucralose is sugar that has been chlorinated at the chemical level, and to me, that just doesn't seem like a very good idea. I also don't use aspartame.

I try, inasmuch as possible, to keep everything going into my body not only low-carb, but also close to nature. :) This makes me feel safer from the unknown contents of processed foods or additives.

When I get a chance, I'm headed to the healthfood store to purchase some stevia, which I have never tried. And also to get some fenugreek. Has anyone here ever used fenugreek to manage blood glucose? It's very effective, so if you cheat a bit, it can help you return to ketosis quicker than cutting carbs alone. It's also supposed to be an aphrodesiac! :D

Dee

grrlpwer
Wed, Dec-05-01, 14:47
hi Dee i'm Linda nice to meet you :wave:

Glad you have joined us...this is a wonderful place to make friends and get help...theres always someone here for you 24/7 :D