PDA

View Full Version : Some curious blood results...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Boomslang
Sun, Oct-09-05, 09:10
Hey! You guys give me some insight as to why my CPK keeps coming back high (400 to 650) and I'll be your best friend...promise!

Note: All the other numbers are good. I'm a weightlifter, healthy and rock solid for 56. I just stopped taking a statin (vytorin 20/10) after it brought my cholesterol down to 109. Start with zetia, a non-statin today.

Dodger
Sun, Oct-09-05, 13:09
When a muscle is damaged, CPK (creatine phosphokinase) leaks into the bloodstream. The damage could be from your weightlifting, or it could be due to the statin you were taking (rhabdomyolysis). What were the CPK results before you began taking the statin?

Boomslang
Mon, Oct-10-05, 10:04
Thanks for your reply. My brief research also led me to believe it may be due to the rare, or probably more accurately, "rare to be diagnosed exertial rhabdomyolysis. I stopped heavy lifting this summer for a few days and got re-checked; no change. My instincts tell me its the statin. I'm on zetia now, a non-statin. Hopefully, zetia (at max dose of 10mg) will have the appropriate mechanism to bring down an "untreated" cholesterol of 242.