PDA

View Full Version : A few questions (I wouldn't read if you are about to eat)..

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

DdmnWlkng
Sat, Oct-08-05, 11:36
I was wondering if dieting and diarrhea go hand in hand?

Ever since I went on the diet (as well as my Mother), whenever I go to the bathroom, which I go to a lot more now (more urinating than going #2), but when I go #2 (for lack of a better term :lol: ) I have been having diarrhea. It is diarrhea, but its not all liquidy...it comes out like it is, but its like....a puddle, :lol: , I really do not know how to explain it, what a great topic to be stumed on. :o

Does going to the bathroom have something to do with weight loss? :help:

PB Girl
Sat, Oct-08-05, 12:28
Um-- as for the 'puddle'-- have you consumed any sugar alcohols? These have a laxative effect.

Also, the increase in fat and the lack of white flour and other nasty carbs that clog you will keep things moving in the intestinal tract.

Your body will get used to it. For now, you could reduce some of the fat and gradually increase it so that your body can adjust.

Whenever I go off of carbs (I've started Atkins 3 or 4 times now) things always get 'cleaned out' and then I know that I am carb-free!

ssofian
Sat, Oct-08-05, 14:13
I've noticed since doing LC, that my bowel habits move back and forth between constipation and um...well the extreme opposite of constipation! Not alot of in between for me, which is odd since before I was completely regular. I've just learned to deal with it.

Heather126
Sat, Oct-08-05, 14:44
Eat more veggies/fiber. It should help!

maximus76
Sat, Oct-08-05, 15:56
are you drinking green tea or something like that?
otherwise, I think it is a good sign, sign of speedy digestion :p
btw, I experince the same :roll:

enna1477
Sat, Oct-08-05, 16:21
I used to go poo once a day - generally in the morning. On LC, I sometimes go several times a day and yes, the consistency has changed and has become loose and watery. I never considered it diarrhea and never worried about it.

I eat tons of veggies so I get my fiber. As long as you are feeling good and not having abdominal cramps or anything like that I wouldn't worry about it.

black57
Sat, Oct-08-05, 17:23
According to Protein Power, diahrea is a more common complaint than constipation. It should improve soon if not, check with the doctor. Make sure that you are drinking plenty to prevent dehydration.

DdmnWlkng
Sat, Oct-08-05, 17:47
and yes, the consistency has changed and has become loose and watery. I never considered it diarrhea and never worried about it.

That sounds like a better way to describe what i was trying to. :lol:

According to Protein Power, diahrea is a more common complaint than constipation. It should improve soon if not, check with the doctor. Make sure that you are drinking plenty to prevent dehydration.
lol, kidden me? I went from drinking NOTHING but a couple of litres of Mountain Dew a day, to tons of WATER a day, :lol:

whyspers
Sat, Oct-08-05, 18:36
My friend had that problem and ended up stopping before it resolved. I felt really badly for her because I know it would have worked for her and worked itself out. I have heard of it, but certainly never had that problem myself. The opposite if anything. It really should resolve itself in a bit (at least the diahrea portion). I think I'll spend the rest of my life running to pee every little bit though...lol.

L

linzio
Sat, Oct-08-05, 19:54
ive only been on the diet since 3rd october,ive lost 8llbs so far,which i am pleased,i found after the first 2 days i was constantly on the toilet with diohrea,but it cleared up within 2 days and now im constipated!

RickinTN
Sun, Oct-09-05, 07:09
I think it depends on the person. I did have it for a while. But, then it went back to normal

HogarthNH
Sun, Oct-09-05, 12:27
Eat more fiber.

I have a bowl of Flax-o-Meal hot cereal every day -- 10g of soluble fiber -- in addition to veggies galore.

Never have I a problem except when consuming sugar alcohols.

H

Nille
Sun, Oct-09-05, 13:44
Had the same problem when I started, found this info useful:

Diarrhea is uncommon in people doing Atkins. In fact, people on Induction are more likely to initially experience constipation. However, some people can't tolerate dairy products—and consumption of cheese and cream may cause diarrhea. If this is the case, try eliminating all milk products and see if it gets better. Unsweetened psyllium husks can be added, which act as a sponge, soaking up water and helping form a normal stool. If you don't respond to that treatment, then look at the amount of fat you are eating. If you have been on an extremely low-fat diet prior to starting Atkins, it may take your body a while to adjust.

If dietary fat is not the cause, diarrhea could also result from taking the recommended supplements. Try stopping them for a week, then if the diarrhea goes away, reintroduce them one at a time. So long as you have diarrhea, it is especially important to drink a minimum of eight glasses of water a day to avoid dehydration.

PurpleJane
Sun, Oct-09-05, 13:54
I started taking flax capsuals for constipation and found they REALLY worked! :blush:
so perhaps it's something in your supplements as suggested above..