PDA

View Full Version : Dr Atkins vs South Beach Diet ?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

atmasters
Thu, Oct-06-05, 11:14
My friend is going to start the South Beach diet. Well she has started it. I really gave her my support on that diet because the only difference I saw is that there is no bacon or ground beef. Thing of that nature but lots of seafood and well every other kind of meat. She never eats beef so I think it will fit her good.

Is there anything else about that way of life I should know about? Any thing really wrong with it??

Thanks and I passed on the link to this forum and told her that this is going to be the biggest help.

raven_1051
Thu, Oct-06-05, 11:17
My sister is on south beach also and it seems to be working fine for her too. So I don' t think there is anything wrong with it. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

atmasters
Thu, Oct-06-05, 11:26
Is it very different from Dr.A or is it pretty much the same - the beef and bacon? I never really looked it to it before. And to tell you the truth I still do not want to do too much looking into it because for me Dr.A is a great way of life and I some time's can get side tracked If I get to focused on some thing.

cs_carver
Thu, Oct-06-05, 11:51
I think that more fruits and some grains are allowed on South Beach. I can't tolerate very much of that, so it wouldn't work for me. If she has trouble sticking with it, look at where the carbs are coming from. Could be an insulin problem.

Heather126
Thu, Oct-06-05, 12:00
South Beach is basically Atkins, with a lower fat content (in the beginning).

Phase one is basically Atkins.

Phase two allows more "good" carbs back into your menus.

He doesn't call his plan low carb. Just the "right" carbs and the "right" fats.

He allows for bread, pasta, even chocolate to come back into the plan after the first strict 2 week period.

Phase 3 is when you're all done losing the weight. He claims you will eat "normal food" in normal portions.

The book is a good read...while I don't agree with ALOT of his writing,he does touch on alot of things about "low carbing" that people would benefit from knowing. If you haven't read it, do so, so you can be familiar with it for your friend. It's a quick read.

foxgluvs
Thu, Oct-06-05, 12:02
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=268759

This thread is interesting...

The main difference between Atkins (which I did for 15 months) and SB which I have been on now for 3 months is that one is higher in fat than the other. It's as simple as that really. In phase 1 it's pretty much similar to atkins but without the animal fats, you're still alowed avocado, olive oils etc but 1 tblsp per meal. You are encouraged to eat between meals to keep the metabolism burning fat, and of course you can eat pretty much unlimited veggies. Phase 2 (which he highly recommends you got into after 2 weeks of induction and not more) you can add in fruit gradually, and then move on to some grains. It's really simple to follow, and I find it much easier to stick at because you're alowed more of the foods which are more interesting, there are no limits on veggies really and you can have 3 searvings of fruit if you want them per day. I throw in some couscous or brown rice from time to time, but to be honest, there are so many different things you can eat on SB I don't do it that often, but the option is there.
I personally love it and wish in a way I had started out on it.

Entropy39
Thu, Oct-06-05, 20:57
My mom and dad both eat the South Beach Bars that they buy in the supermarket. I also think that Kraft made South Beach Meals in the Frozen Food Section of the Super Market. If she is is always on the run she might have more luck eating store bought food than trying to cook every night.

I think that if I was ever to have a baby I would probably to Atkins Maintenance or a modified South Beach but very little starches cause I'm SUPER sensitive to them.

Good luck to your friend!

photograph
Fri, Dec-16-05, 12:58
The problem I have with the Atkins diet is that it allows a little too much fat. The biggest difference between Dr. A and SB is definitely the fat allowance. I do find both of them to be quite restrictive however SB is a little more lenient. I think once you get past the 1st and maybe even 2nd phase you are over the carb addiction and have really good control of how much carbs you put into your body. Ultimately any plan is good if you follow the beginning phases and really learn what it is that you should/need to eat and shouldn't be eating. After you gain that knowledge it is all about self control and desire to continue. It is really amazing how carb crazy our society is but if we just take a step back we would realize we are really just making things harder on ourselves by indulging in carbs. Not to say carbs are bad because we all need them, especially if we are working out hard BUT keep it under control.......

Wyvrn
Fri, Dec-16-05, 13:23
South Beach is Atkins Lite... lite on the fat, and lite on the science too. The lipid hypothesis is dead.

Wyv