PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Food?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Jacey33
Tue, Oct-04-05, 15:39
I haven't really looked into this and don't know much about it, but is the chinese chicken high in carbs? I ate it today for supper and I'm afraid I've messed up, I have a feeling, please help!

notskinny
Tue, Oct-04-05, 18:27
It all depends on how it was prepared. Alot of Chinese dishes have sugar. If it was, dont worry, dust yourself off, and start clean and fresh right now. Hang in there!!

Marvin
Tue, Oct-04-05, 18:38
most chinese dishes with sauce usually consist of sugar and cornstarch. Meats are often marinated in cornstarch as well - to create what they call "velveting" which is where the meat ends up having a very unique texture being very tender. I know this because I love chinese food, and studied up on it before I lost weight. but off-course I only eat it once in awhile nowadays. :)

erinleigh
Wed, Oct-05-05, 14:05
I only eat egg foo young and egg drop soup....thats about all the chinease food you'll see me eat!

Sue L
Wed, Oct-05-05, 14:24
It probably has waaay more carbs than you think. Especially if it was batter fried and in a heavy sweet sauce.

Judynyc
Wed, Oct-05-05, 15:06
I adore Chinese food!! :yum:

But for me, its not just all the sugar and corn starch they use....its all the darn sodium/salt....they use alot and I always retain alot of water for a few days after I eat it.

So I too, have it only once in a while as a treat!! or just order it plain steamed but thats no fun!! :agree: :D

bigpeach
Wed, Oct-05-05, 15:10
It probably has waaay more carbs than you think. Especially if it was batter fried and in a heavy sweet sauce.

Ding ding ding. I had my first cheat meal last night. Sweet and sour chicken. I went easy on the rice and sauce, but I still got most of the 800 cals and 89 carbs in the dish itself. (found the info on the restaurant web site)
It didn't kill me on the calorie count, but the carbs probably took me right out of ketosis for a while.