PDA

View Full Version : French Toast

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Pages : [1] 2

tamarian
Sun, Dec-02-01, 19:48
Auto generated link to page (Please do not remove): http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/rrecipe012.html

Cherio
Tue, Jan-22-02, 10:42
Tamarian- Newbie here reporting in!! Tried this recipe and it was wonderful!! I did not have any SF syrup so I had to substitute 1 tbsp. of the lite kind. I did put real butter on it and it was really good and filling. Thanks. :thup:

Rachel160
Fri, Jan-25-02, 08:04
:yum: Well thank goodness to those who share great recipes!

I was so reluctant to try this. We make 'real' french toast every Sunday Morning like clockwork and thought this can't be anything in comparison. Well I made it this morning and WOW couldn't believe the likeness of it. Very good and will keep making it for sure.
I could only eat half of it...I was sooo stuffed. So next time I will just make 1/2 the batch.

* Does anyone know the carb count for this one?

Thanks for sharing! :spin:

Karen
Fri, Jan-25-02, 12:47
2 Eggs = .6 gr each

1/4 cup heavy (whipping) cream = 1.65 gr

2 pkgs. Equal or Splenda = 1 gr each

Cinnamon to taste = close to 0

1/2 of a 3 oz. bag Pork rinds = 0

I'll send you my bill! ;)

Karen

Azure
Mon, Jan-28-02, 11:05
I had found a recipe for "french toast" a long time ago, that used pork rinds. I tried it. I absolutely hated it.

This recipe is SO simple, I don't understand how I got such divergent results. But I made these this morning for breakfast. Along with the "maple syrup". And OMG! They were simply incredible! I even licked my plate, which I haven't done since I was a kid! It was like having REAL french toast with a SLIGHT taste of bacon. And since I like bacon with my french toast anyway, I was okay with that. Thank you for sharing this recipe. Breakfast just got a WHOLE lot easier.

Cherio
Mon, Jan-28-02, 15:44
I had it this morning with sugarfree strawberry jam and butter!! It was deeeeeeelish!! :thup:

Jamori
Sat, Feb-02-02, 09:35
wow .. this is amazing
made 3 "pieces" total .. the first one i had the heat too high, but the second two were great! only problem was that i used too much splenda in my "syrup" ... so ill just cut back next time :)

Jamori
Sat, Feb-09-02, 11:13
calories 587.13
fat 45.42
sat fat 21.66
carb 4.88
fiber 0
protein 39.92

..plus whatever your cinnamon adds .. cinnamon is 1.84g - 1.25g fiber = .59g carb per teaspoon

DWRolfe
Mon, Feb-11-02, 11:22
I'm salivating... :p

Can't wait to try this with some bacon! Thank heaven for Pork Rinds!

Donald :wave:

DWRolfe
Mon, Feb-18-02, 19:10
Well, I'm here to report that I tried the pork rind "french toast" and I was amazed at how good it was. I didn't have any sugar free syrup, so I just had mine with some buter and crispy bacon. It was a nice change and something that works well for me on weekends when I have more time to prepare it.

I recommend it! :thup:

Julie88
Mon, Feb-25-02, 10:30
Hi all :wave:

I tried the french toast recipe yesterday :eek: and did not like it at all,
then this morning I looked at the recipe and I had added twice the amount of crushed porkrines :read2: no wonder they reminded me of curling stones without handles ;) :thdown:

so then I tried the egg mock muffins YUM!!! Highly recomended!
:hyper: Im taking them to work today, to share with my low carb
co worker :thup:

will try the french toast again tomorow :thup:

colinjn
Thu, Apr-18-02, 11:04
I made the French Toast this morning and it was great! It took a couple of bites to allow my taste buds to catch up with my brain. I was thinking too hard about each of the ingredients and not allowing the taste and texture to speak for itself.

Necessity led to a couple of modifications. I used to put a little vanilla in my french toast, but it disappeared in the recent move. However I discovered some Watkins Caramel Flavouring! So I added a few drops of that with the cinnamon. Very nice result!

I also don't have any syrup, and the last batch I tried to make was disgusting. So I toasted some cinnamon in the pan and added butter and Splenda. This too came out great, but not sweet enough, so I dusted the french toast with the boxed Splenda. The result was a nice combination of flavours and textures. It's going to be one of my craving killers.

DWRolfe
Thu, Apr-18-02, 11:37
I also add a dash of vanilla to mine when I make Pork Rind French Toast...

...and as for comments about this recipe not working for some folks...it took me a few tries at this recipe before I got just the right amount of ground pork rinds to egg mixture too.

I really enjoy this recipe on weekends, when I have a little more time for cooking breakfast. What??? It would be good for any meal you say??? Of course it would! When will I stop thinking that foods can only be eaten at specific meal times?

coyote
Thu, Apr-25-02, 16:45
I tried this french toast recipe this morning and it was fantastic. It's hard to believe that it's LC. It tastes so GOOD. :D

I'll definitely be eating this a couple of times a week. I can't wait to try so more LC recipes.

Thanks guys and gals. Your the Best! :clap:

lissylou73
Wed, May-08-02, 17:37
I have a question please. The recipe calls for 1/2 of a 3 oz. bag Pork rinds. I purchased a large bag of pork rinds and didn't like the taste. So, I ground up the whole bag and am storing it in a baggie in the refridgerator to use for recipies. Therefore, I am not sure how many pork rinds from my supply to use since they are already ground up. Would anyone know?

Thank you!

Melissa

colinjn
Wed, May-08-02, 17:57
Hi Melissa,
I too grind up the rinds. It takes up less space in the cupboard. I am not a perfectionist when it comes to measuring things. Since the rinds are an Atkins "free food" I don't worry about their nutritional impact in my day.

So that said, what I do is mix the liquid ingredients and add a covering of the rinds. I mix it in and do another morning chore and come back to it a few minutes later. If it needs thickening I add a bit more and repeat. If it is too thick I cut it with a bit of cream. This fits nicely into my morning routine, and I have become a pretty good judge of how much I need, even when making half or double batches (put some in the fridge for an afternoon snack, or quick breakfast the next day).

Bye the way Wa'il just told me the history of this recipe. He finds it quite amusing that we like it so much.

Hope this helps
Colin

Jamori
Wed, May-08-02, 18:48
about a cup (loose) of ground pork rinds seems to be the right amount; maybe a little bit less

lissylou73
Wed, May-08-02, 22:25
Thanks for the info, Colin and Jamori!

I can't wait to try it :D

Melissa

Deb
Thu, May-09-02, 12:28
why not add some maple extract instead of vanilla and then it wouldn't matter if your syrup did not measure up in the flavour department?

Deb

Jamori
Thu, May-09-02, 14:43
i generally do a little of both; the butter has to be quite hot for the vanilla / maple to stay dissolved rather than clump up at the bottom

clodagh
Mon, May-13-02, 02:54
sorry for this stupid question, but what are pork rinds?

what would they be equivalent to in Europe?

Clodagh

colinjn
Mon, May-13-02, 09:59
Pork Rind (Piggy Puffs) are strips of pig skin that have been "puffed" up. The ingredient label simply lists "pork rinds, lard, salt". I assume they have been deep fried, though there is hardly any residual fat in them. Unlike potato chips, you can crush handfulls of them and barely have a film of oil on your palms.

Not the most appetizing thing to describe.

Nushi
Tue, May-14-02, 02:25
I just finished a batch. YUM YUM YUM YUM. I followed the recipe as directed and ended up with 6 small "slices". For a little extra flavour, I dabbed a small blob of cream cheese on each and didn't miss the Maple Syrup in the slightest.
I think this may be my new "comfort" food and I look forward to enjoying it often.

Whoever dreamed up this recipe in the first place has my most heartfelt thanks as the texture brings to mind real French Toast.

I worship at your feet. :wave:

DWRolfe
Tue, May-14-02, 07:52
If you like the Pork Rind French Toast, you'll like the waffles, too!

The recipe is very similar and it's amazing how well they turn out...

Enjoy!

lilshug
Thu, May-16-02, 21:00
MMMMMhhmmmmm! :yum:

I finally made this recipe tonight while cooking my anklebiter's supper, and I was so excited to try it out. Everything went according to plan, the mixture seemed appropriately "gloopy",
so I slapped them on the griddle. After almost a minute I looked to the counter to my right and sitting there, LAUGHING at me, was the 1/4 cup of heavy cream! "Aw, sh--!" ....I was SO not surprised. Because that was SO much like me!
Decided to give them a try anyway, you know, 'cause if I hated them I could always conjure another batch! I added some pats of butter and Atkins syrup. OH....MY...GOD! Heaven! If they taste this good without the added cream, well, I can only imagine! Mmmm, I digress! :rolleyes:
Great outcome?....Use the same whipping cream for Whipped Cream on TOP of the french toast for the SAME amount of carbs!!
Man, I hope that wasn't a fluke!
xoxoHappy whipping!

Jamori
Thu, May-16-02, 21:14
where is this recipe for the waffles that you're talking about? do you just .. slap some of this batter into a waffle iron??

Nushi
Fri, May-17-02, 08:20
Hey all,
Since my last post, I have used this recipe every second day. Found that if you mix the whole mess in the blender the texture is much much smoother than when done in a bowl. Also, when the mixture gets too "goopey" you can add a little water to thin it back to managable thickness and just buzz it with the blender.

By whipping the mix in the blender I find that each of the "slices" puffs up to almost 3/4 inch in height and to my mind, make them more appealing to look at on the plate.

The high calorie count might slow down my weight loss but it's worth it because the little darlings taste sooooo good.

Good luck all :wave:

DWRolfe
Fri, May-17-02, 09:28
Here's the waffle recipe, Jamori...

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35120

Nushi: thanks for the blender suggestion. I'll give it a try!

Nushi
Sat, May-18-02, 02:08
Thanks for the link Donald.
The recipe looks good but I'm just not a waffle person. Even the "real" ones.
Besides, I have so many unused kitchen appliances already cluttering up my kitchen and pantry, if I were to add a waffle iron, the dust bunnies on the unused appliances would have to move out and I wouldn't want to dislocate that large a population.
I think I'll just stick with the FT and refine the taste ( a little less Splenda, I think).
I had trouble finding low carb maple syrup and tried the one included with the recipe - YUK!!! So, it's going to be sour or whipped cream or cream cheese for toppings.

Hope all is well in the Windy City. :wave:

IslandGirl
Sat, May-18-02, 14:49
Hey, Nushi! Welcome and hi from a fellow Victorian! I just spotted your location while cruising this site and wanted to say hi :wave: and let you know there's
(a) a ton of info in the Products forum on various products, like LC syrups.
(b) the LowCarb Yellow Pages up on the upper right of your screen? If members have been keeping up, sources are listed there for a lot of "stuff" and
(c) I'm (changing hats rapidly and doing a two-step) also the local (aren't YOU lucky) purveyor of a few lowcarb goods, right here in Victoria.... just click on my webpage in my signature line below!

PS: We've got a conversational thread going in the Local Low
Carbing:Canada forum, we 'Victorians', have you had a peek there yet? We've just had our 2nd LowCarb Ladies Who Lunch meeting last weekend :devil: and it was fun!

kodi10
Sun, May-19-02, 22:17
Sorry Lissy, I can't answer your question.

I tried this on Saturday and did not like it at all. I looked back over the comments and they all seem to rave about it. I, like you, did not have a measurement on the rinds, so I guessed. Could have gotten it all wrong.

Will possibly try again later.

jane anne
Sat, Jun-01-02, 18:33
I tried this recipe and it is awesome instead of syrup i used butter 2 sweetners and cinnamon all whopped together and then spread it on the "french toasts". Excellent!!!

jane anne
Tue, Jun-04-02, 09:39
Last night my kids and i were hankerin' for a treat and so we made the "french toast" spread the cinn. butter on it, topped that with E. D. Smith sugar frees trawberry spread, followed by a dollop of whipped cream.
Awesome is tahe only desciption we could come up with although we got one "Oh my God" from Nadine. This is divine!
Enjoy!
jane anne

colinjn
Wed, Jun-05-02, 10:28
I was finding the results a little flat so I added equal parts of baking soda and powder to the rinds before adding them. The result was a lot puffier and hence, lighter in texture.

rubysoho
Sat, Jul-06-02, 12:53
I was a bit skeptical at first. But after I grilled em up. I could just smell them and knew I had found my favorite.

I almost feel like this is cheating!!!! Too good to be true? Say it isn't so!!!

We bought our own sugar free syrup (still has 4g carb for 1/4 cup) but with a side of sausage I am HOOKED!!!

Candiflip
Mon, Jul-08-02, 22:09
I really love this 'French Toast'! I don't eat it with syrup though I just mix a little butter w/ splenda & cinnamon......UMMM.....I am drooling right now.. :p I want to make it every morning but I don't like to eat too many Pork rinds

Candice

pippa
Thu, Jul-11-02, 21:23
the french toast, can i have this during induction, and if so, can i have the full recipe? thanks pip

pippa
Thu, Jul-11-02, 21:42
the french toast, can i have this during induction, and if so, can i have the full recipe? thanks pip

Deirdre
Thu, Jul-11-02, 21:58
Has anybody tried freezing these and reheating them?

colinjn
Thu, Jul-11-02, 22:16
Hi Pippa and Dierdre,
Pippa the easiest way to direct you is to tell you to go to the first page of this section and click on the link that Tamarin posted. You could also go to the recipe section but I think this is easier.

Dierdre, I always make extra and keep them in the fridge. They make good wraps for snacks or a fast breakfast in the microwave.

The recipe may be a bit to heavy on the carbs for some induction people but you can adjust the cream content by adding water to the mix. Check the carb calculator in the tools section to determine the best way to meet your needs.

Colin

somersizer
Sat, Jul-13-02, 01:40
Hi guys I am realllllly picky about food and tried recipes on other sites that were so gross I felt ill. Does it not have a pork rind taste????

jane anne
Sat, Jul-13-02, 06:12
hi somersizer:
no the "french toast" does not have a pork rind flavour. i promise you that very few people have trouble with this recipe. it is quite delicious and satisfying. i use a mixture of butter cinnamon,sweetner and vanilla all whipped together, to spead on the "french toasts" instead of syrup. our whole house loves it.
just try it.
jane anne

Wanda L
Thu, Jul-18-02, 12:41
:wave: Hola: This is my second week on this diet, but I have already printed a bunch of recipies I want to try. The frensh toast you are looking for or were looking for I tried last night and I liked but next time I will put less pork stuff in it, will put one more envelope of Splenda and more cinammon.

froedrich
Fri, Jul-19-02, 01:49
I have tried adding a scoop of Atkin's bake mix to the mixture, with an extra egg, with good results. Have also prepared this in my "Belching" waffle maker, and found it A-OK! (more pockets for melted butter + whatever)

ciouid
Sat, Jul-20-02, 16:58
A bit porky . . I think I added to much. Will try again another day. Looks more like pancakes to me! =D Still much better than the bake mix recipes by FAR! :D :wave:

KTiki
Mon, Jul-29-02, 14:15
:idea: I just tried this recipie and it was good, my 10 year old son enjoyed them with me. I'm not really big on the sweet stuff, so I was thinking about taking out the sweetner and cinnomin and maybe putting in garlic powder for a savory bread substitute or even plain to make a sandwhich with. Or even use as a base for a mini pizza. I wonder about doubling the recipie and baking it. What do you think? :q:

ciouid
Mon, Jul-29-02, 14:45
That sounds like it could be tasty! You could add some black olives & rosemary or different combinations of herbs! Yum!

KTiki
Tue, Jul-30-02, 17:49
:wiggle: I made cheese garlic fritters out of this recipe, today, by leaving out the sweetner and cinnomin and adding an ounce of shredded chedder and a shake of garlic. Fried them up in the butter and they were great!!! Even my son and hubby loved them. I think they were much better than the sweet version.

Deb
Thu, Aug-01-02, 06:07
why don't you post this version in the recipe section so many more people can see it too? I'm sure it will be tried by most of us!! Thanks for the idea

Deb

gc1
Sat, Aug-03-02, 20:27
This has got to be the absolute best tasting low carb recipe I have had to date

The possibilites are unlimited here because, you could make flat bread style bread with this as well and eat sandwiches

I just ate my french toast as a big thick belgian waffle and you cannot tell there is a pork rind in there

actually tastes like a grain waffle

walmart porkskins taste great in this and crunch up real easy in a ziplock freezer bag and a pot :D

Thank you for this one as it is a real keeper

Jeff

ciouid
Sat, Aug-03-02, 20:38
Hello Jeff!

How do you make your flatbread please? I'd love to try it!

:D

Jen

gc1
Sat, Aug-03-02, 21:07
dunno yet but I would say you could prob leave the sweet stuff out of the french toast recipe and make porkskin flapjacks and make as a sandwich

haven't tried it yet but them pork skins are amazing when crushed

I ate one waffle made with them and I feel like I am about to explode I am so full

Jeff

jane anne
Sat, Aug-03-02, 21:18
hi jeff and jen:
for the "flat bread" i would think that you might have to add more cream to the mix. the waffle/french toast/pancake batter is quite thick and hard to do crepe style. if you add more liquid, it will be easier to smooth out into a thinner "pancake". a little trial and error will fine tune the thing pretty well, i think.
adding a little seasoning or finely diced sundried tomatoes, or cheese may make it kind of interesting as well.
anyway, enjoy.
jane

ciouid
Sun, Aug-04-02, 08:58
LOL, Jeff, please don't explode we'll miss having you post more ideas! :p

Jane, thanks for the idea! Sounds like it'll work just fine! And anything with cheese is okay by me! :spin:

Jen

gc1
Tue, Aug-06-02, 18:13
Heres what one of them made up as a belgian waffle looks like with butter

ciouid
Tue, Aug-06-02, 18:16
That looks sooooo delicious!!!!!!!!!!! I don't have a waffle iron, but I may try the french toast again tomorrow! :thup:

gc1
Tue, Aug-06-02, 18:18
wonder what some whipped up cream with a couple of sliced up strawberries would taste like on this :)

Jeff

jane anne
Tue, Aug-06-02, 21:44
jeff:
whipped cream and strawberries are to die for. absolutely delicious!
a truly decadent dessert around our house.
jane

alice 2002
Fri, Aug-09-02, 14:48
Oh........my.........goodness.........

This recipe is to die for!! I cannot believe that making french toast with pork rinds, crushed....would turn out to be the most delicious thing I have eaten in a long long time.

(can you tell, I miss my sweet and wheat foods) I used E.D. Smith, no sugar syrup (made with splenda) on top.

I swear, Now I have no excuses to fall off the wagon, when there is such great recipes around.

I am not much of a cook either, so this being so easy and quick, rates # 1 for me!!!

Thank you who ever invented this!! :rheart:

Strawberries and whipped cream yummers.

I may even try it with cheese one day....soon!!

Bevb
Fri, Aug-09-02, 20:54
Hi
I added a few blueberries to my french toast this morning, really good, could also add nuts.
These are so easy to make, I have them almost every other day.I prefer with butter and a little splenda/cinnamon mix on them over low cal syrup.
Bev :wave:

Cossack
Tue, Sep-24-02, 14:47
If anyone has ANY doubts about trying this..is was AWESOME! I stuck to the recipe exactly..was generous with the cinnamon and the texture, look, taste were wonderful!
Dont delay..get some SF syrup and whip up a batch!

J

cre8tivgrl
Thu, Nov-07-02, 10:53
Okay... these fell apart on me. But let me say... they were the best tasting mock french toast crumbles I've ever had!!! ;)

Bloom
Thu, Nov-21-02, 04:50
I would like to try these but...
Can someone please inform me what pork rinds are?!?
The only thing i know of is the rind on your bacon which greasy and goes nice and crunchy if cooked long enough, not something you get in bag.
wonder if it maybe goes by another name I may recognise as I see it mentioned often at this site.

gc1
Thu, Nov-21-02, 08:30
Porkskins :)

Bloom
Thu, Nov-21-02, 13:44
ahaa, I have seen those for sale in an Asian supermarkt, yes like really dried out pork crackling. Thought it looked very yuck but i will get some next time I try it in a recipe. If i hate it the dogs will no doubt eat it.
Thanks very much gc1 :)

DWRolfe
Fri, Nov-22-02, 13:29
I wuv 'em.

catspaw
Sun, Nov-24-02, 20:16
Hi-

I decided to try this recipe this weekend, just because even though it sounded completely nasty, everybody raved about it.

Well, add me to the raver list. I was absolutely amazed :eek: that this tastes so good! I didn't have any syrup, nor anywhere close by to get some, so I made a strange concoction with butter, splenda and cream which was marginally ok. I'm going to try to find some LC syrup next weekend.

Thanks all! :wave: I'll be trolling about the recipe pages for a while.

colinjn
Mon, Nov-25-02, 09:57
I thought I would add my modifications. I have been tinkering around with flavouring options.

What I do is make a kind of eggnog as a base. This involves 4parts cinnamon to 1 part ground ginger and 1 part allspice. I have a love/hate thing going on with nutmeg and am currently leaving it out.

We are going dairy free for a while and I have been making the base with unsweetened soy milk with very good results. I also add sweetener to the mix to taste.

For syrup I make my own with methylcellulose, water, sweetener and maple flavouring. It is turning out better than any bought ones. I can adjust any element that I want, though I find that the mix is better after giving it a days standing time.

Also I crush the rinds by snipping a corner of the bag and crushing it with a rolling pin. This gives me control over the texture and helps me hunt out the occaisional hard bits.

Hope this helps

Colin

karich
Sat, Dec-07-02, 10:00
Wow!!!!!!!!! These are great. Even my
3 year old ate them... she couldn't tell the
difference from normal pancakes!

Thanks so much for posting this.

Kara

Bevb
Sat, Dec-07-02, 12:52
Hi
I just received my order of sugar free syrups from Da Vinci. they are terrific and are sweetened with splenda. I got the pancake syrup, hazelnut and vanilla syrups They are delicious and had the pancake flavored on my LC :yum: pancakes this morning. I couldn't tell the differnece from real syrup. Only took about 1 Tablespoons for the whole batch of pancakes.
I made the pancakes with 3 eggs, 2 Tablespoons heavy cream, 2 Tablespoons of water and some cinnamon and splenda to flavor and about 1/2 Cup of pork rinds. Very quick and easy. I keep ground pork rinds handy to use as fillings.
Haven't figured out the carbs yet, but can't be more than about 4 with the splenda and it made about 6 pancakes.

I ordered right from the DaVinci web site. They took about 4 days to get here. I'm sure I will order more as they have lots including chocolate flavor.
Bev
:wave:

TeriDoodle
Sat, Dec-21-02, 15:48
After months and months of resisting this recipe (PORK RIND PANCAKES???!?!??) I tried them this morning. Un-beeee-lievable!!! They taste just like the real thing!!!!!

I sent hubby out to buy 4 more bags of pork rinds.... I'll never be without them in my cupboard now!! :D

[Edit: DH brought home a different kind of pork rinds than what I bought, and when we made them again, they were TOO porky!! I deduced that the cheaper the pork rinds, the better.... he bought ones that were a bit more crunchy, mine were more fluffy and the cheaper store brand.... also need to get them ground to a fine, fine consistency.]

karich
Sat, Dec-21-02, 16:28
I also made them with parmesan cheese and garlic powder (no splenda or vanilla)
and they were very good. They also heat up in the microwave and I've been making them into a breakfast sandwhich for dh to take to work and eat, just add bacon, egg and cheese!

SupahSteph
Sun, Dec-22-02, 18:32
I just made the waffles and they were pretty good!!

If you are like me and my boyfriend... we both said, "PORK RINDS? yuck." But I was eager to bake/make something- and in the mood for a meal other than burgers or chicken (for dinner).

Soooo....

I crushed the pork rinds in the blender, and then sifted out any of the hard pieces that didn't grind down. So, I ended up with a nice powder/flour.

Then, I follwed the instructions-- eggs, cream, water, vanilla, sugar&cinnamon... but I added an extra pkt of splenda, a little more cinnamon (I didn't measure- just to "taste") and some nutmeg. After it was all mixed up- I added a cup of powdery pork rinds.

I have a Sunbeam waffle maker- and I was able to get 4 waffles from the batch. The last 2 "boiled" over a bit... so I bet if I watched it closely, I could have gotten 5 waffles from the batch.

I took the suggestion of topping with homemade whipped cream (eventhough I also added it to the batch), and butter.

I served it with a side of bacon-- just in case the waffles were "pork rind-y" I wanted to have a flavor that covered it- and basically confused the taste buds.

Nonetheless... I had 2 whole waffles- and my boyfriend (also LC and 260lbs of hungry man) only had 1 waffle and was pleasantly full! :yay:

I finished it off with a mock root beer float (diet root bear, with some of the left over whipped cream) and let me tell you.... I feel like I have gone out to a restaurant and splurged on treats!

YUM YUM!

whittater
Mon, Dec-30-02, 20:29
Hi, I'm a newbie here. I tried this woe last year with some success, however over the summer my father & 2 brothers-in-law were diagnosed with cancer. All are doing ok right now, but during the ups & downs, trips to the hospital, & nervous eating I've gained some back. So I'm starting brand new.

I have tried this recipe last time & loved it. But I wanted to share a Sugar Free Syrup I found. I live in a small town with only about 4 or 5 grocery stores. I found it in only 1 Kroger store. It is called Maple Grove Farms Cozy Cottage. IT is made with Splenda. The serving size is 1/4 cup. It has 10 Calories, 0g fat, 120mg sodium & 4g carbs. I don't usually pour the syrup over the french toast, I measure out the 1/4 cup, but dip bite by bite into the syrup, so I don't even use the whole 1/4 cup. (I try not to use up too many carbs in the morning.) I'm not sure how legal it is, but it is the BEST & closest to real tasting syrup I've found on the market. If you can find it, give it a try.

Thanks for listening & I'll try to post often.

casuzen
Tue, Dec-31-02, 15:38
Add me to the list of ravers about this recipe! :p Even my daughter who is not LC liked them!

I formed the batter into squares as I put it into the pan and it even 'looked' like french toast - down to the crusty edges and all! Very satifying...

Gotta try it without the cinnamon and splenda for pizza dough - will add some parmesan and oregano... haven't had a decent pizza in so long!!!

Its back to the store for more bags of "chicharronnes" (Mexican translation for pork rinds, anyway thats what the bags are labeled) - gotta keep these on hand!

--casuzen

Wolfiesask
Fri, Jan-10-03, 19:11
I tried this for supper tonight....for a little something different and I was AMAZED!!!!! It tasted just like my own french toast!!! I skip the sweetner and cinnamon....just eggs, cream and rinds....found my syrup frozen in the fridge so I used some SF raspberry jam instead....what a treat!!!!!!!

I was thinking....I could use this as a substitute bread as I used to do that with my regular high carb french toast too!!

Two thumbs up!! :thup: :thup:

Nicole :wave:

anjelica
Sat, Jan-11-03, 21:51
My friend whom is trying to low carb with me is having a hard time living without her bread, I cant wait till monday to show some of these posts to her and the recipes i have copied off, I have to admit it all sounds YUCK! to me! lol but i am not much of a bread eater either. The reviews and raves you guys have all had tho have made me want to try some, i looooooooooove meat so the low carb diet is easy for me, at least so far it has been, but it will be nice to have some variance.

THANKS!

katticus
Wed, Jan-15-03, 20:51
Hi,

I live in Australia, a place with VERY different foods/brands to America. I have never heard of pork rinds before that you can buy - are they literally the skin from a leg of pork? :confused:

Anyway, I'm wondering if there is some way of making them? The only thing I can think of is making pork crackling without salt... in which case I guess it's without the fatty part underneath.

Any advice would be MOST appreciated, because I really love the sound of this French Toast!

Katt :wave:

Kristine
Sat, Jan-18-03, 11:36
Oh my GAWD. These are great!! :thup: Not only did I like them, but they passed the "unsuspecting boyfriend" test!! :lol: You should have seen the look on his face when I told him what they were made from! He really like them!

I used a lot of cinammon, plus a little nutmeg and vanilla.

I can't wait to try the parmesan/oregano version! I'm going to buy more pork rinds!!

theresa113
Thu, Jan-23-03, 18:42
I made this for dinner tonight. I wanted something besides meat and this really hit the spot! I could not believe how much it reminded me of real french toast... WAIT A SECOND... THIS IS REAL FRENCH TOAST! It was pure YUM!
:yum:

Thanks for the awesome recipe!

RBalhan
Mon, Jan-27-03, 09:54
I tried this recipe for French Toast and it was incredible. I couldn't believe that it could taste that good what with the pork rinds and all. I asked my husband to taste it (he's not on the diet) and he agreed it was good. It was a nice change from soft boiled eggs (although I love them). Thanks everyone for a great idea :D

gaijingal
Tue, Jan-28-03, 09:01
I don't think anybody did this yet...I put a Tbls of tomato paste in a savoury batter, then used the pancake as a pizza base and piled on the toppings. I spread some olive tapenade down to make the pizza moist.

I like this, cause you can get the tubes of paste, so you don't feel pressured to finish anything off like you do when you open a jar of pizza sauce (how can you tell I live alone). The paste adds about 2.5 g of carbs according to fitday.

This was not the best thing ever, but very quick and tasty.

Stargrrl
Sun, Feb-09-03, 09:50
I had the same problem Melissa but I was lucky and guessed well because they came out just right! I was really skeptical about this working but curiosity got the better of me and I have to say I was amazed! Aside from the fact I burped pork rind flavor the rest of the day, they were really close to actual thing. My hats off to this ingenuity :thup:

Stargrrl
Sun, Feb-09-03, 09:51
LOL ~ Kristine I did the same with my husband and he said they were "Not bad"!

Parisfox
Sun, Feb-09-03, 13:09
For all you low-carbers who have never heard of pork rinds, here is a site where you can get a look at them (and purchase them if you want to). I DO NOT have any ties to this website. I simply did a Google search on "pork+rinds" (without the "s) and this is one of the results. You might want to do the same if you are thinking about buying online. There are lots of different sites there. Hope this helps.

http://www.wilstar.net/porkrinds/

Paris:D

hysteria
Sun, Feb-09-03, 21:37
:D OMG - Rave, rave, rave!!!

All I can say is YUMMY!!! :daze: (and NO syrup ~ all!)

I was in Heaven when I made these for dinner last night. i made them again this morning! :eek: I ate the whole batch - both times!

Is this bad? I feel like such a pig...but goodness - it is soooo good. I was not craving bread before, but now when I need a sweet treat, this hits the spot. My hubby is appalled - I tried to get him to try them - no go - more for me though ;)

Foxeylady
Mon, Feb-10-03, 14:35
Groan, I really want to try this recipe, but I can't get pork rinds where I live. Which grocery chains usally carry it? are they affordable to purchase online? Everything I try from this forum is yummy, (I am currently in love with a mock danish) Thanks!

DWRolfe
Mon, Feb-10-03, 15:33
Sometimes it can be difficult to find pork rinds in traditional grocery stores. Have you tried 7-11 or convenience stores? That's where I buy mine if the grocery store is out.

P.S. My grocery store always has theirs on the bottom shelf underneath the chips. I guess not enough people grab them to warrant a higher position!

hysteria
Tue, Feb-11-03, 08:53
This is so true - pork rinds seem to be hard to find, especially if you want some with flavoring other than Hot N Spicy :help: (watch the dragon breathe - lol!)

I know in the mid-atlantic USA, Giant Food carries them (on the bottom shelf, and only one brand), Shoppers Food Warehouse carries them - found some on sale there. Like Donald said, almost any fast food, convenience mart carries them, at least in the South.

Good luck :wave:

UAGirl
Fri, Feb-28-03, 13:45
I got this recipe when I first started LCing. And was amazed at how great it was!! It is a nice late night snack if all else fails. :)

I found a sugar free carb free maple syrup in my local grocery store, so I am all set. LOW CARB FOR LIFE!!

bebe123
Wed, Mar-05-03, 21:12
If anyone out there is skeptical about pork rind french toast, I admit I sure was too! But OMG these are sooo good. I honestly have to say these are up on my scale next to the cauliflower mashed potatoes. Give'em a try!!!! :wave:

bebe :D

IndyLauri
Thu, Mar-06-03, 08:24
OHMIGOSH!!!!!!! I JUST had this french toast for breakfast, and was it good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was getting a little burnt out on eggs and the occasional mock danish! I have found my new favorite breakfast! LOL!!!

lauri

cre8tivgrl
Sat, Mar-15-03, 13:51
I used to absolutely love Village Inn's stuffed french toast and now that another chain is advertising it again I have been craving it. Bad! :p

So tomorrow I am going to take the french toast recipe, cut each peice in half and add a cream cheese/splenda combo for the stuffing (almost like an eclair).

Stuffing variations:
I would think you could add any of the sf syrups (hazelnut etc.) to the cream cheese mix or maybe just some almond extract?? That is what I think I will add this time since it's what gives cream pie toppings their great flavor.

Topping variations:
This could be an endless subject. I have decided that I am going to do blueberries and sf maple syrup tomorrow. But I might try some chopped nuts and sf maple syrup too.

I'll be back tomorrow to let you know what I learn!! ;)

cre8tivgrl
Mon, Mar-17-03, 13:06
The stuffed french toast was great!! Very rich. I can't wait to try variations.

cindielyn
Thu, Mar-20-03, 16:59
:cheer: Well I had my doubts, but was looking for something new to try. WOW, they are SO GOOD! If I hadn't prepared them myself, I would have trouble believing they are low carb! Thanks so much for such a yummy treat! :cheer:

Kristine
Sun, Mar-23-03, 10:45
M'kay, last week I omitted the spices and sweetener, and added parmesan cheese and oregano. I fried it up into one big flat pancake and budda-bing: a flatbread to wrap around my chicken souvlaki!! It was fantastic! I can't believe it's LC!

It was a little fragile, though, so I just wrapped the whole thing in foil like they do in restaurants. ;)

Two thumbs up!! :thup: :thup:

kmwebb1967
Mon, Mar-24-03, 12:21
Tried this over the weekend...so filling and very tasty. Recipe made 2 "bread sized" pieces and I could only eat one!
Served mine with DaVinci's syrup.
Funny I used to eat 3-4 pieces of "french toast" !!!!!

dustoweb
Mon, Apr-07-03, 11:30
They are also very filling. I only had one silver dollar pancake sized serving (I cooked it in the "Perfect Pancake" pan I got for Christmas. Gotta love the relatives that do all their holiday shopping on infomercials :) ), but it was so filling I could barely finish it.

I can't wait to try a non-sweetened version for a pizza crust or something like that.

Has anyone tried to bake this mix instead of frying it? I was just curious since it tasted so much like cornbread to me, that it would be a great LC cornbread if it was thicker.

If I get adventurous I will give the baking a try and I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes if I do.

With all this cooking I've been doing lately I'll have to get me a chef's hat :p

dustoweb
Thu, Apr-10-03, 19:04
I just tried this as a pizza crust (just eggs, cream and rinds) and it was pretty good. I first cooked it pancake style. Then I put a a tablespoon of my "pizza sauce" (tomato paste, parmesian cheese, and garlic salt) and loaded it with cheese, canadian bacon, and pepperoni. It turned out pretty good. Not as good as a real pizza, but not bad for a LC alternative.

If the crust would get a crispier it would be almost perfect. I'll have to keep experimenting.

cheesehead
Mon, Apr-28-03, 07:50
I made the french toast yesterday and my husband and I loved it. The sugar free splenda syrup is pretty good. Then I made a batch and added crumbled cooked pork sausage and that was even tastier. So today I'm so excited about french toast again, and not eggs, that I went one step further and made sausage gravy to put on top and just about died and went to heaven!

I just crumbled up two cooked sausage patties, added 2 tablespoons or so of cream and two teaspoons of splenda maple syrup and a little pepper and reduced it on the stove for a little while. It made enough for a batch of french toast and was so good. Since I just winged this the measurements are't exact.

Let me know if you like it!

srd0821
Fri, May-02-03, 09:36
M'kay, last week I omitted the spices and sweetener, and added parmesan cheese and oregano. I fried it up into one big flat pancake and budda-bing: a flatbread to wrap around my chicken souvlaki!! It was fantastic! I can't believe it's LC!

What a good idea!! :thup:

srd0821
Fri, May-02-03, 09:39
I made this MOCK FRENCH TOAST (http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/rrecipe012.html) this morning...very yummy!!!!! And, very satisfying. I didn't have any sryup..so i sprinkled some more cinnamon and splenda on top...

whyspers
Fri, May-02-03, 17:49
This was an amazing recipe! I was making meatballs to go with my spaghetti squash and had crushed up some pork rinds when this recipe crossed my mind. I just bought some sugar free Log Cabin syrup that has zero carbs (has malitol, sorbital and Splenda and tastes like the regular Log Cabin syrup!)...so I just made up a batch. Other than the texture being a slight bit different than French toast (I couldn't really put my finger on it...but had to be the texture), it was JUST like French Toast!!! I couldn't believe it.

Whoever came up with this one has a terrific imagination! :)

L

FionaMcB
Tue, May-06-03, 14:03
:) :thup:

Never in all my years did I think I'd be using pork rinds for any purpose. Made the Mock French Toast this morning, it was great!

Made it in dollar pancake size pieces, topped it with butter mixed with maple flavoring and Splenda. DH loved it also.

Who ever came up with this recipe, thank you!

my_shadow
Tue, May-06-03, 17:57
Wow I just make this and it is wonderful. Thanks so much.

But I have a question. Is the 4.88 carbs for the whole recipe? I got two good size pieces out of the recipe, and 1 is plenty for me.

I know there are hidden carbs in most things but if the cream & pork rinds are carb free and the eggs are only .6 each where are the rest coming from. I did not use the sweeter because I can not stand the taste, I figured I would just let the syrup do that.

Ok make that two question. :) I guess I need to understand how to find these hidden carbs.

Thanks
Pam

nikkiend
Wed, May-07-03, 08:49
Pam
If you look at the first page of the posts, there is the carb content posted by someone. I was a little shocked to find that each packet of Splenda has one carb. The cream also has carbs. I guess you really have to be careful and research EVERYTHING you eat!!!

nikkiend
Wed, May-07-03, 09:36
I FINALLY tried the french toast after printing the recipe out over a year ago. As everyone else, I'm very pleasantly surprised at how good it was. I can't say it was just like regular FT, but the consistency was SO MUCH better than the mixes. I can't stomach more than a couple of bites of the pancakes made from the mix before I have to toss the rest. I made it in the blender and have a question for the people who do that. Do you have any suggestions on the easiest way to get the batter out of the blender once it's mixed? I had to take the bottom off the blender and scrape it off the blades because it's so thick.
Another question for anyone who's tried to make pizza crust out of it. Do you fry it first, then bake it after you put the toppings on? If so, what temp and how long? I'm SO glad I finally tried it. I was very skeptical as I don't care for regular pork rinds. (Only the hot and spicy ones)

dustoweb
Wed, May-07-03, 10:39
I made it into a pizza crust, but was disappointed by the taste. Seems the splenda is what covers the pork rind taste (at least for me). Once I omitted the sweetener it was very pork rind-ish. I tried adding garlic powder, a little tomato paste, and parmesan cheese to it but nothing covers it. I even tried it with a little splenda in it, but it still didn't work for me as a pizza crust. I must also mention that I used to be a pizza addict so maybe I'm a little more picky than others.

Another thing was that I could never get it to get crispy enough. I must've left that thing in the oven for an hour (on lower heat) and although it did get a little burnt, it wasn't crispy at all.

I think I'll stick with these as a breakfast treat on the weekends.

One side note. During my experimenting I found that if you include some melted butter in the actual batter it tastes alot like corn bread. The mix gets a little runny and doesn't stay together as well with butter in it (good luck flipping it with out it breaking up), but I like the taste alot better.

Hope this helps.

my_shadow
Wed, May-07-03, 14:53
I took a couple to work today and let some of the people taste them. They all know I'm on the Atkins and are always checking to see what new thing I'm eating. I didn't tell any one what they were made of at first, but when I did you should have seen their jaws drop. LOL...They all loved it and was so shocked, so not only are they good tasting but fun to fool people with.

I'll be making more of these.

Pam

leasmom
Fri, May-09-03, 07:57
curious, anyone have a doubled recipe. I have to make it for my daughter too. We used to make homemade pancakes every sunday, but now I think we'll have the mock french toast instead. I used to hate french toast but now I love it, the 'mock' version that is!!!

my_shadow
Fri, May-09-03, 16:02
I made a double batch, I just doubled everything. I used 2 cups of the pork rinds and twice as much of the rest. I got 4 good size pancakes, but I can only eat one w/ a couple pieces of bacon and I'm full for hours.

Pam

srd0821
Wed, May-14-03, 21:01
Just a tip...I have made this several times now and have figured out that the finer the pork rinds are crushed the better. So, I have been using my cheapie food processer.

Marlaine
Mon, May-19-03, 09:19
Made these a couple of days ago and was very surprised at how good they are. The texture is very much like the pancakes I used to make and the flavour nothing like pork rinds. I put quite a bit of cinnamon in the batter and I managed to get six smaller, but nice size pancakes. Ate three hot for breakfast and snacked on the other three cold in the evening. They were good enough cold that I'm thinking they'd make a great snack to keep on hand.

Next time I make them though, I'm going to try adding a bit more cream and see if I can get them more like crepes. Then I'll have something wonderful to wrap around a variety of fillings.

Marlaine

my_shadow
Mon, May-19-03, 14:19
I tried to add more cream so I could make waffles. The batter is still thick, I'm not sure if you will be able to make crepes. But if you do let me know, I think it's a great idea.

DWRolfe
Mon, May-19-03, 15:18
Oh yeah, absolutely...

...the finer the rinds the better. I use a food processor and grind a bunch at once. The extra I keep in a sealed container in the fridge and use them for breading chicken, etc.

Enjoy!

nikkiend
Tue, May-20-03, 10:33
Donald,
That's a great idea to use the rinds to bread things like chicken. Do they taste bacon-y when you do that?

wordlady
Sun, May-25-03, 14:28
I just read the whole thread, and I don't remember seeing a calorie count. Has someone done the math on the calories? I'd be interested. My last 10 pounds are lovin' my body and not wanting to leave me, so calories COUNT for me. I know they're a little high...but with all these rave reviews, I HAVE to try it!

Judygb
Wed, May-28-03, 16:43
I made some rev rolls and they turned out flat, (I greased the sheet) . I find them very versatile this way and use them for great grilled cheese sandwiches, danish, topped with softened cream cheese, splenda & vanilla , fruit & nuts. I make French Toast out of these flatter rev rolls and it is do good even Hubby likes it!

Marlaine
Thu, May-29-03, 00:53
Originally posted by wordlady Has someone done the math on the calories?

Hi there.......

Since I use Fitday.com to keep track of my nutrients, I can give you the totals for 1 serving (which is half of the recipe):

Total: _ 242_ _Calories

Fat: 17g_ 153 Calories_ 65%
Carbs: 1g_ 4 Calories_ 2%
Protein: 20g_ 80_Calories34%

Hope this helps.

Marlaine

nikkiend
Thu, May-29-03, 17:16
Judy,
At the risk of sounding stupid, what are rev rolls?

yellowman
Sun, Jun-01-03, 05:41
Wow. All can I say is wow. These taste divine! A little more vanilla and cinnamon next time, and a little thinner, and they will be perfect! Almost like the real thing! I used Log Cabin sugar free syrup, all carbs are from sugar alcohols with splenda as the last ingredient.

Judygb
Sun, Jun-01-03, 08:47
Nik, Rev Rolls are very low carb Revolution Rolls that are only about 1 or 2 carb each or near that. They are great on induction and evermore! Here is my favorite:

3 egg yolks
5 egg whites
1/4 teas. cinnamon
2 teas Splenda
3 Tablespoons Sour Cream OR cream cheese

Preheat oven to 300. Separate Eggs

Beat the 5 egg whites with until TOO stiff.

Mix the 3 egg yolks with the Splenda, cinnamon and sour cream OR cream cheese.

Fold the yolk mixture very gently into the stiff whites, trying to keep as much volumn as you can. Place in mounds onto non-stick cookie sheet into pre-heated oven. Bake 50 minutes. These may be flattened for toast, french toast, pizze base, used for pastry base, fried for sandwiches, used for Strawberry Shortcake. Enjoy!

nikkiend
Sun, Jun-01-03, 09:43
Sounds good. I still have never heard of Revolution Rolls, but I've been trying to find something to make a pizza crust. I'll definitely try it. Thanks!!

Judygb
Sun, Jun-01-03, 09:59
Nik, Check out low carb Revoution Rolls on the Web and you will find more recipes and ideas for these great rolls.

nikkiend
Sun, Jun-01-03, 10:14
Thanks, Judy. Do you mean to check in this forum or just look them up on the web?

Judygb
Sun, Jun-01-03, 10:48
I mean the web, but also on this forum. I think this is where someone posted phoros of the Rolls baking. This WOE (way of eating) is so much fun with all these new and exciting menus to plan and enjoy.

Kareny
Thu, Jun-26-03, 05:26
I finally did the pork rind french toast this morning. I couldn't believe it! Delicious! I had been afraid of the salty flavor, thinking that maybe I was supposed to use unsalted pork rinds, but then I realized that the salt just blended in with the butter flavor from frying, which is perfectly okay with french toast.

I found that it had kind of a sausage-like consistency, only lighter, does that make sense?

My parents are coming to visit in three weeks. Last time I saw them we discussed the whole low-carb thing - they're supportive because I've clearly lost a lot of weight, etc., etc., though it does seem strange to them. I sat Mom down during some free time to skim through Atkins For Life, particularly the parts about fat, and she said it was all fine and good, the only thing she couldn't fathom was the eating pork rinds, which have always struck her as the most useless, awful food.

So I'm considering making the french toast when she's here and not telling her what's in it... but would that be mean? I know she would like it... I'd have to be careful, because Dad and little sis are vegetarians, so I couldn't let them eat it!

Maybe I should just be honest! :eek:

cindielyn
Fri, Jun-27-03, 01:33
I would tell your family that the french toast is made with animal based protein, so your dad and sis would not accidentally nibble. After your mom tries the french toast, let her know just what the "secret ingrediant" is. She may be pleasently surprised to see how versital pork rinds can be. I generally am not crazy about them straight out of the bag, but since low-carbing, they are staple in my pantry.

nikkiend
Fri, Jun-27-03, 07:07
I agree. I started keeping a bag of pork rinds crushed and I use them to make fried chicken, etc. I feel like I'm cheating when I do that. My BF even likes the breading.

txgrneyez
Sun, Jun-29-03, 20:57
Just tried the French Toast..Yum!! Even my picky hubby thought it was good, couldn't believe it was from pork rinds. This is a new weekend staple for me. Thanks!!

vashka25
Wed, Jul-02-03, 12:53
WOW !!! That's all I have to say about this recipe!!!
I made this on the weekend for a group of friends...telling them it was just another of my concoctions (they are used to me experimenting with food) and needless to say, they all loved it, including the kids!!!!

Thanks for bringing a little variety and sweetness back into my mornings!

Judygb
Wed, Jul-02-03, 13:57
Did you use the pork rind recipe or just the Rev Rolls?

Davididf
Fri, Jul-04-03, 10:58
mmmmMMMM Good! Wife and I both loved it!

Dustin
Tue, Jul-22-03, 18:36
oh my god I have to try this! Does it taste like pork rinds?

Judygb
Tue, Jul-22-03, 19:21
I don't use pork rinds for this. I just dip the Rev Rolls into a beaten egg that I have added a touch of cinnanmon to, and fry in an olive oil sprayed pan. They are so good with Atkins Syrup.

cindielyn
Wed, Jul-23-03, 01:10
oh my god I have to try this! Does it taste like pork rinds?

If someone made these for you without you knowing the ingredients, you wouldn't guess, or even believe that they were primarily pork rinds. Everyone in my house eats them, even the non-low carbers. Try them, you'll love them!

Judygb
Wed, Jul-23-03, 03:25
The recipe sounds great and I will try it for lunch some day. I love the taste of pork rinds in many recipes. In the morning I just prefer the simple, easy and yummy, dipping the Rev Toll into beaten egg with a dash of cinnamon and frying. It is one of our favorites.

JohnP
Sat, Aug-02-03, 19:46
I tried the French Toast today. I had no great expectations, but thought I'd give it a try. I get a little tired of the same old scrambled eggs every morning.

I meant to split the recipe and only make enough for 1 pancake, but I forgot to halve the amount of Splenda. The pancake or "toast" was marvelous and with the extra Splenda, no syrup was needed at all. It was the closest thing I have had to dessert in two weeks.

"Thanks", to the originator of this recipe. I will continue my search for alternates to my daily fare. I may even become a decent cook, yet.

Johnie

galaga6846
Mon, Aug-04-03, 10:40
I made this last night... it puts me in the mind of a McGriddle! It's a new breakfast sandwich from McDonalds. Just put a sausage patty between two of these, cover in LC syrup, and volia! I can eat my favorite McGriddles again!

Jeepgirl74
Thu, Aug-07-03, 21:25
This was a great recipe! I was completely surprised! I had it with a small side of the radish hashbrowns.... Really tasty! Thanks! :)

galaga6846
Thu, Aug-07-03, 21:35
I made the McGriddle! I made two of the pork rind pancake patties, put sausage and cheese in the middle, and covered with sugar free syrup!
MMM MMM MMM!!!

cindielyn
Fri, Aug-08-03, 01:14
This was a great recipe! I was completely surprised! I had it with a small side of the radish hashbrowns.... Really tasty! Thanks! :)

Radish hashbrowns? RADISH? Those little crunchy spicy things you find in your salad? How do you make hash browns with them? Tell me more, please!

Jeepgirl74
Fri, Aug-08-03, 07:54
You can find the recipe under "breakfast items" and I believe it's hash browns or something similar... it may be on the next page of the breakfast category. Yummy! :)

The taste very similar to potatoes when you cook them. I mean, although I don't like "raw" potatoes, I sure like them cooked! It's the same for radishes. :)

jasada
Sun, Aug-10-03, 08:57
well mine were certainly tasty, but this may sound daft but is this mix supposed to go over bread or is it to be made aexactly as the recipe, because mine turned out like a thin sweet omlette! :-( even if it wasn't rite it was still very nice quick and fillin *surprised

mind-full
Mon, Aug-11-03, 16:05
Alrighty ... I tried the french toast recipe this evening for dinner in somewhat a dubious frame of mind. I do not like pork rinds.

Yet, these are strangely good! I added 2 tsp. vanilla to the recipe and about 1 tsp. cinnamon, and not only fried the cakes in butter but put some on the finished product as well. Served with LC syrup and wow!

I noted a nice fluffy texture on the inside and a more chewy/crisp texture on the outside -- good contrast.

My husband will like these. He's been begging for something that's not an omelette, over easy/hard, scrambled or poached.

I won't tell him the name of the recipe, since he loves French toast and this won't be an exact duplication of that, so the name might throw him and send the whole idea down the tubes. He'll think they're pancakes, so we'll just go with that!

jasada
Mon, Aug-11-03, 16:29
what on earth are pork rinds anyway...ok ok ok im a brit

Jeepgirl74
Tue, Aug-12-03, 10:57
Pork rinds (aka pork skins) are the skin of a pig that has been put into oil to fry. It just "puffs up" like a cereal, but it is still kinda porky and salty tasting. They don't seem to retain a lot of oil or greasiness, though.

You can even get it flavored in a sweet BBQ flavor, etc or put hot sauce on them.

katticus
Tue, Aug-12-03, 21:26
That's what I thought pork rinds were... the only brand I've been able to find here in Australia is very salty... is that the kind that you make the french toast from? I just can't imagine those v. salty snacks being made into anything sweet.

Katt

Skully
Wed, Aug-13-03, 00:33
Hi,
Could you please direct me to the actual recipe for the french toast please?

springdale
Wed, Aug-13-03, 04:30
Melissa, I have no idea! I just saw that you are from WV, too. You are the first person I have seen on here from our home state. Good to meet another Mountianeer.

Rhonda

Judygb
Wed, Aug-13-03, 04:39
If anyone wants to try my very simple Rev Roll French toast please let me know how you like it. I flatten and dip the Rev Rolls in a beaten egg and fry in olive oil. We use Atkins Syrup and enjoy these more than regular French Toast.

The pork rind recipe sounds great but more work than I want to do in the early morning.

Tiawyn
Mon, Aug-18-03, 15:06
Oh my gosh!

I've seen this recipe around a few times - and I was a bit too scared to try it until today! WOW! I would never GUESS that these were made of pork rinds (I'm tempted to try to trick the boyfriend when he gets home!) These were soooo good.

Skully
Mon, Aug-18-03, 16:02
Hi Judy,
I would love to try your Rev Rolls French Toast :) Could you please let me have the recipe asap :yay: I am getting sick of eggs for breakfast and these rolls sound very scrummy :wiggle::roll::roll::roll:

Skully out :agree:

pippa26
Thu, Aug-28-03, 17:06
I will be trying this recipe but please can we get the carbs in Whipping cream sorted out.I'm in Canada and mine says 0.9 in 2Tbs.there are about 4 Tbs in 1/4 cup so its close to 4grms in 1/4 cup.Are ther different kinds of whipping cream do you think?? Help!!

Parisfox
Thu, Aug-28-03, 17:27
I live in the Midwest in the U.S. I use "Heavy Whipping Cream". Don't know if you can get it in Canada. "Whipping Cream" has more carbs, although I don't remember the count.

Well, I checked my "Corinne T. Netzer "The Complete Book of Food Counts" and it says.

Whipping Cream - 1 cup = 7.1 grams carbs

Heavy Whipping Cream - 1 cup = 6.6 grams carbs

The difference is negligible unless you are going to eat/drink a quart.... :lol:

Hope this helps.

Paris

pippa26
Thu, Aug-28-03, 18:07
Lizzie,1 1/2 ounces should still be the same whether they are crushed or whole if you weigh 1 1/2 ounces of your crumbs ,then pour them into a measuring cup you will know each time that you need that measured amount.
Pippa.

pippa26
Thu, Aug-28-03, 18:11
Thankyou Paris ,Yes it does help especially as its the way I prefer LOL.I'm thinking "Brandy Alexander"
Whipping cream, brandy,splenda and Ice. I hav'nt figured out the amounts yet but would make a good dessert.Yes?
Pippa

Parisfox
Thu, Aug-28-03, 20:40
Pippa26....you make my heart sing.

Brandy Alexander.....White Russian....Grasshopper...yum...

You have MADE my day. I always thought that Brandy and Rum had carbs. I looked them up in my "Netzer's" food count book and they DON"T!! Yippee Skipee!!! :yay:

Guess the Grasshoppers are still off limits though. But hey....this WOE of eating is all about what we CAN have, not what we CAN'T have.

Have a great day!!

Paris

pippa26
Thu, Aug-28-03, 23:25
Paris, I can hardly wait to go away in our little trailer next week. .Methinks we have a whole new thread!! LOL
Pippa.
"Whipped cream how do I love thee Let me count the ways." LOL
Pippa

pippa26
Sat, Aug-30-03, 09:22
This morning I finally made these pancakes/french toast and am amazed!!
I did not add the splenda to the batter but simply squeezed a 1/4 of a lemon into splenda to pour over.This I thought will add very little carb but give a tart sweet taste..I'm from U.K. way back when! and we always put lemon juice and sugar on our crepes,it also saves a few grms of fat by not adding more butter.Bottom line they are fabulous whatever you put on them so light and puffy .I think the fine processing of the rinds really helps the texture .I could not even detect the flavour of pork so that was an added bonus.Thankyou to all of you who spend time concocting and especially Karen who is near me in Vancouver .

Graeme15UK
Sun, Aug-31-03, 16:26
Hey guys, I make my French toast with bread, 2eggs, milk, fry it then add Ketchup to add to the test.

Is this suitable for atkins diet?

Rosebud
Sun, Aug-31-03, 16:54
Hi Graeme,

Bread, milk and ketchup are not suitable, as you'll discover when you read Dr Atkins' New Diet Revolution. ;)

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

pippa26
Sun, Aug-31-03, 17:18
Rosebud, my intuition tells me that Graeme already knows and is trying to be cute!!Maybe I'm wrong LOL
Pippa

nursetubby
Sat, Sep-13-03, 17:18
I just tried this "french toast" and was really surprised at the taste!! :yay: Did have a lil trouble with amount of sweetener. We pour ours in a "sugar" bowl and I wasn't sure how much is in a packet so I used 1 tsp and it was OK. I was really surprised how the pork rind smell wasn't there anymore after cooking. :lol: Making the whole batch is really too much, so next time I'll only make half. Does anyone know how these freeze? This recipe is another super find!!!!!!

pippa26
Mon, Sep-15-03, 14:13
Hi there
I froze them and they were great.In fact I put them in the toaster!
Put plastic wrap or greaseproof between each one before freezing then you can make a batch and take them to work .I put a little splenda and drizzle lemon juice on them.
Also you may package the mashed cauliflower recipe and freeze it too! .I took some in small freezer containers on a camping trip and loved every meal I will never eat potatoes again regardless !

Judygb
Mon, Sep-15-03, 15:30
Could someone please post the original recipe for me? I have never tried it with the pork rids and have to after all these great comments!

doreen T
Mon, Sep-15-03, 15:43
Could someone please post the original recipe for me? I have never tried it with the pork rids and have to after all these great comments
hi there,

The link is in the very first post in this message thread. :thup:

Doreen

pippa26
Mon, Sep-15-03, 19:17
Here you go Judy,
1 1/2 oz. of porkrinds processed to graham cracker crumb consistency.
mix in bowl....
2 eggs
1/4 cup heavy cream
1pkt splenda
cinnamon (optional)
mix together and let sit for 5 min
pour by tablespoon into frypan with melted butter
cook as per french toast .
Personally I do not add the splenda as I like to put e.d. smith no sugar added strawberry jam on them also lemon and splenda or sometimes scrambled eggs.
Lots of options
Pippa

Wenzday
Mon, Sep-22-03, 05:42
YUMMY hurray a recipe I liked finally!!! this was so easy! I make 3 pancake things and ate them all but next time I think I'd better not eat them all...I am STUFFEd and had to workout extra to feel less full!

I just used Atkins Vanilla syrup on these and it was so good! its a very versatile flavor!

AzureMoon
Sat, Sep-27-03, 11:32
Seems I'm the latest in a long line of LC'ers to discover the faux French toast. Good stuff! And very filling.

Bought Log Cabin sugar-free syrup yesterday and found that is equates to free if sorbitol (9g) and maltitol (3g) don't bother you. By the way, I liked the way Log Cabin labled the product identifying the amounts of the sugar alcohols.

eve25
Mon, Oct-06-03, 20:17
this stuff is amazing.
i made a monte cristo sandwich with it by adding 1 slice of smoked turkey (.5 carb) and 1 slice of cheese, grilling it, and sprinkling with splenda. it was really good.

Judygb
Mon, Oct-06-03, 20:23
Pippa, Thank you so much for the recipe! I just found it today and will make them tomorrow morning . I am so glad I logged on : )

pippa26
Tue, Oct-07-03, 10:09
You are welcome Judy, Don't forget you can make them and toast or grill later !
Pippa

Judygb
Wed, Oct-08-03, 05:11
Pippa, I made them this mornig and they are FANTASTIC! DH gave them a GREAT rating too! The recipe will have a place of honor in my low carb recipe notebook :) THANK YOU!

Judygb
Wed, Oct-08-03, 05:14
Pippa, I used 1 1/2 cups of crushed pork rinds for the 1 1/2 oz. Is that right? They were great.

pippa26
Wed, Oct-08-03, 08:07
jUDY, I CRUSH A WHOLE BAG OF RINDS AND KEEP THEM IN THE FREEZER. tHEN I USE 1 HEAPING 1/3 CUP MEASURE,THIS EQUALS APPROX 1 1/2 OZ. hOWEVER YOU CAN ADLIB ONCE YOU GET THE TEXTURE YOU LIKE IT IS NOT AN EXACT SCIENCE!LOL :lol:
YOU MAY WANT MORE IF DH IS JOINING IN.TRY THEM WITH A SQUEEZE OF LEMON,BUTTER AND SPLENDA. THEY ARE LIKE CREPES! wELL MAYBE THATS STRETCHING IT A BIT.
PIPPA

Judygb
Wed, Oct-08-03, 08:49
Pippa! Wow! I did a good 1 and a/2 cips and they were GREAT! What a good idea to keepp them crushed. I will try less the next time. That a TREAT:)

pippa26
Wed, Oct-08-03, 08:59
jUDY,yOU MUST HAVE BEEN SOOOOO FULL,CAREFUL THOUGH 'COS OF THE CALORIES!
PIPPA

DWRolfe
Mon, Oct-13-03, 10:53
Just following these last few comments (and not the original thread..sorry!)...I also keep pork rinds crushed and ready to go...

...I load mine into a food processor and crush them up and store them in the fridge. I figure I might as well do a few bags while I have to food processor out.

I also season some of them for use as coating on fried chicken and such. I season mine with garlic and onion powder, some pepper and maybe a little parmesean cheese or Italian seasonings. Makes yummy coating and saves time later.

Now back to the original thread!

Donald

Judygb
Mon, Oct-13-03, 11:13
Rolfe, OMGOSH! I just got home with chicken tenders to make with the hot and spicy pork rinds and will get then all crushed up! Hubbys fav! Now debating between scallopped turnips or spaghetti squash. We have Spiced Pumpkin COokies from the Eades Comfort Food Cookbook. (Protein Power) They have walnuts and raisins in too and are excellent.

ellemenno
Sun, Nov-02-03, 08:09
My SO and I absolutely love this recipe. We weren't too sure we wanted to try it, but he loves pork rinds and I love French Toast, so we gave it a whirl.

The first time we tried it, it was just ok. I followed the recipe as closely as possible. We both decided it was good for an occassional breakfast, but not an every day event. We were so tired of eggs at that time, it was a welcomed break, though.

The second time we tried it, I pre-crushed the pork rinds the day before (takes quite a bit of time - the blender idea sounds great!!), and I made triple the recipe. I also added nutmeg, allspice, almond extract, and vanilla to the recipe. He raved and I must admit, they were pretty good.

We usually will alternate between this recipe and the Flax-O-Meal pancakes on the weekends. I try to make enough to take to work for breakfast the following Monday. They heat up pretty well in the microwave and don't become rubbery as some reheated food will.

Whenever getting friends involved in Atkins now, or whenever someone asks for suggestions, I tell them about this whacky recipe. They look at me like I'm nuts, but then they taste it and fall in love!! I know I'll be making this while I'm home for Thanksgiving, just to show the family how yummy low-carbing can be!

surfnmom
Thu, Nov-06-03, 05:46
GM Everyone
I am trying this right now. Have it mixed up and waiting for it to thickin

If you have the Braun, or the Thunder stick Hand held mixer, I have to tell you it worked great. I put all the stuff in a glass and blended it right in the cup. If I like this then I'm going out and by some of those disposable plastic cheap cups, and use those, then throw LOL. I think this hand held mixer and the plastic cups would work great on alot of these Recieps, as your not make large quanites at once. Welp I am going to go and cook these babies, and let you know.

Oh BTW I didn't add the splenda in it, added the cinnamin and vanilla. I never added suger in my reg french toast LOL.

Oh yea is there carbs in Imatation Vanilla?

surfnmom
Thu, Nov-06-03, 07:56
:yay: :yay: :yay: OMG :yay: :yay: :yay:

I am totally impressed. I made my son and daughter try these and they could not tell THAT THIS WAS NOT REAL FRENCH TOAST. Wow.

In reading through the thread, someone noted they they used 1/3 cup pork rinds, this is what I used and they were perfect. also took Donald's advice and fryed up some bacon (a real breakfast). then topped them off with cinnamin Butter w/1 pkt. of splenda. (Hope the taste of something sweet doesen't send me into the craving mode) I haven't had anything sweet since getting back on Atkins.

This is GREAT :thup:

AFwife
Thu, Nov-13-03, 04:30
I'm going to try this recipe this weekend after I get the ingredients. OMG finally something other than scrambled eggs and cheese. Thank you!

Lily

katlynweb
Tue, Nov-18-03, 11:23
Can someone please give me the fat, calorie, and carb counts for the french toast? I know it must be listed somewhere, but I can't seem to find it! DUH! Thanks! By the way, I crumb up the whole bag of pork rinds in the blender and keep them in an airtight container in the fridge. Works very well so far! (and you don't have to SMELL them! :lol:

money0571
Mon, Dec-15-03, 21:17
Has anyone made this recipie and had it come out slightly mushy? It was ok when I made it but I am struggling with the texture. Any help

Karen
Mon, Dec-15-03, 22:23
Hmm. I find it more on the dry side than mushy. Two things that come to mind...are you using enough pork rinds and letting them sit in the egg mixture until they get soft and are you cooking the toasts for long enough to get the center cooked through?

Karen

galaga6846
Mon, Dec-15-03, 23:29
I don't like this dish any more. The first time I ate it, I really liked it, but now I can't stand it. Maybe I got burned out.

twblues
Sat, Dec-27-03, 09:53
I just tried this recipe. It's a yummy substitute for the real thing. My only change was that I filled the 1/4 measure about 3/4 full of cream, and the rest with french vanilla Da Vinci syrup. I used my Thunderstick mixer to blend it all together. I made 4 small pancakes and ate 2 with a slice of fried ham. I think eating pork with it helped me mentally get over the pork rinds in it. I used Joseph's low-carb syrup, which was thick and tasty.

Thanks to whoever thought up this recipe! :thup:

chris65
Sun, Jan-11-04, 20:04
This sounds like a great recipe for French Toast but I was wondering why you have to go to this extreme and not just use the low-carb breads out there. I found one that is made by Aunt Millie at only 4 net-carbs a slice. It is really delicious especially for low-carb and a whole grain bread. There are so many low-carb foods now. Sure makes low-carbing a whole lot easier. I even found Breyers has ice cream with 4 net carbs a 1/2 cup and also Klondike came out with an ice cream bar with 5 carbs. Each make with Splenda. Thank God for that sweetner. Making this low carbing a breeze. I did find myself hungry the first 4 days of induction but now it is getting a lot easier. Fortunately I'm down 5 1/2 lbs first week. Wow, what a great way of eating!! I know of 4 personal friends on this diet and loving it as well with the same results. Good luck everyone! :wiggle:

ellemenno
Sun, Jan-11-04, 21:45
I think one of the things that's so wonderful about this recipe is it's great for Induction, the first phase of Atkins. I couldn't say how it works with other plans, but I know Atkins strongly advises against (and almost admonishes) the use of grains during Induction. Low-carb breads would include some grains, and this recipe has none. Even the small amount of cream in this recipe would still be allowed in Atkins Induction.

A few other points:
-It's difficult to find a low-carb bread that isn't chewy.
-I have yet to find a zero-carb bread. Pork rinds are zero-carb.

There are advantages to this recipe. The one disadvantage would be time, but quite honestly, if you whip out the blender or the food processor, it's just as quick as using bread.

Besides, I love the look I get when I tell people what's actually in this recipe. ;)

cindielyn
Tue, Jan-13-04, 12:10
I was going to try the Breyers low-carb ice cream, but was reading the label. Even though it has only 4 grams of net carbs per serving, same as the Atkins ice cream, the carbs are in the form of sugar. Don't remember for certain, but may have been fructose.

Maren Stoy
Wed, Jan-14-04, 12:42
I like your pork rind recipe but why not use a piece of lc bread and dip it in an egg mixture? Fry it up and have some lc syrup with it and a few strips of bacon. I make lc bread at least once a week and the carbs are only 4g plus the syrup is only 4g/1/4 cup and I certainly don't use that much on a piece of toast.

Thanks for the recipe and maybe I will try it when I am in the mood to experiment, which is about every day.

Maren Stoy

BlitzedAng
Thu, Jan-15-04, 18:13
I made this with cinnamon pork rinds.. Yummmmmmmm

cindielyn
Thu, Jan-15-04, 18:50
Cinnamon pork rinds??? Never saw them, sound yummy. What brand?

mollymom
Fri, Jan-23-04, 21:52
I needed a fast late dinner, and didn't feel like meat, so I had brekkie for dinner. Not bad. I made this in the blender. My kitchen counter is getting crowded! Since having to cook again suddenly my slow cooker, my blender and my food processor are in regular usage!

Very much a french toast texture..that lingering aftertaste of pork rinds though. I am thinking I would like these with some sausages to blend with the pork rind flavour. LC may be killing the bread industry but the pork and eggs industries must love us LOL

kath310
Sun, Jan-25-04, 10:18
I had these for dinner last nite and they were awesome! I put a splash of maple extract in with the batter (I may use a bit more next time as the flavour was very faint) but other than that, they were yummmmmm!!! :yum:

DH had carb-laden choc chip pancakes for dinner, and although I was going to try these for breakfast today, I said "I want pancakes too!" so I made the "french toast" ....I don't think I made my batter thick enough because they were more like thick pancakes. I got 6 pancakes out of the recipe. I'm not complaining.....they made a great dinner! I put plain butter on top and just loved them! I gave DH a bite and all he could say was "And this is pork rinds?"

So, now I'll have to add a few more bags of pork rinds to my shopping list because this recipe's a keeper!!

Thanks for posting it! And I love the idea about making them savoury! I'll have to try that too....thinking about making just one big savoury pancake and use it like a pizza crust! yumm!!

candyapple
Mon, Jan-26-04, 02:23
Just wondering If I can have this during induction? I'm guessing maybe yes but what about the syrup. I have on hand Vermont SF syrup and Cary's SF syrup. Is this okay?

nikkiend
Mon, Jan-26-04, 07:53
I've used both syrups and haven't had any problems with either.

candyapple
Mon, Jan-26-04, 08:36
Thanks Nikkiend!

I'll make them now. :yay:

candyapple
Mon, Jan-26-04, 10:18
These were too good for words! I actually had only one but the batch made 3 so I will have some tomorrow. Great with cream cheese spred over the top and a bit of sf syrup. MMMMMMM good! :yum:

Kabrina
Wed, Jan-28-04, 11:07
I've been lc'ing off and on for 30 years. This recipe has been a lifesaver since I've come to read this board. This is a variation my daughter came up with. She's kept a healthy, slim body on Atkin's plan for many years.

"Hushpuppies"
3/4 cup cream
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup shredded mild cheddar
2 eggs
minced scallions
Combine ingredients and add crushed pork rinds until you get a thick batter (do a little and wait a bit) that you can spoon out. Not overly pasty, but you need another spoon to push it off. Drop in hot oil and flip when brown.
These puff and cook very quickly and are delicious.

Judygb
Wed, Jan-28-04, 11:54
Thant DOES sound SO yummy! Thanks for sharing!

cindielyn
Fri, Jan-30-04, 02:17
:yay: Wow! I can't wait to try this one! Thanks!

Tracey71
Fri, Jan-30-04, 08:29
I can't wait to try the hushpuppies, I think the french toast is really nasty, but the hushpuppies sound like they could work.

candyapple
Sun, Feb-01-04, 01:29
OMG! You guys need to know this. If you cook them (french toast) and eat them the next day, the pork rind taste is all gone. You have to give the cinamon and vanilla time to settle in. Give it a try and you will see. I like it with lc syrup and a layer of cream cheese on top. MMM mmm good! Beleive me, try it...

simplydawn
Sun, Feb-01-04, 01:33
HI! I cant wait to try this recipe... its about 3 am right now, and looking over recipes may not be the wisest of choices at this time, cause now my stomach is growling! LOL~

delilah
Wed, Feb-04-04, 13:11
Oh my gosh.... this is soooooooo good!!!

I hate pork rinds, but I had a bag of stale crumbs sitting around. chopped those up and made this and I keep having to stare at my plate, wondering if there are actually pork rinds in there!!

I never actually used to make french toast with butter. I would just cook it dry, then add my butter. When the recipe calls for "fry in butter like you would regular french toast," how much butter and at what heat are they referring?

The cats seemed to like this recipe too. Someone got up and was rubbing my ankles... then kept biting them while I was cooking! I had to get a laser pointer for him to chase! :D I wasn't willing to share!

simplydawn
Tue, Feb-10-04, 10:04
Ok, I tried this recipe this morning.. I thought I died and went to heaven!!! More pancakey for me as well, light and fluffy, but that was fine by me.. I used Atkins 0 carb 0 sugar syrup..and butter..

bout fell out it tasted so good.. but since I am watching calories.. this is a little high on the calorie side for me.. when I saw what someone posted for the values, Heaven kinda crashed a little bit for me!

So now I only have 600-900 calories to divvey out for the rest of the day.. good thing I ate my breakfast late morning.. maybe I can do it! Depends on how long the full feeling 'lasts' too with these!!!

Thanks for the hushpuppies recipe.. dare I ask what the cal/carb count is for that one?

I do love when people post recipes, but for me right now its such a numbers game.. that I need to have those included , anyone else need them too? Or am I being anal? :lol:

CajunCarbr
Wed, Feb-11-04, 09:48
Well, to say you could've knocked me over with a feather would be an overstatement, but WOW. Tried this recipe yesterday, and was I pleased. My husband asked, "Who ever would have come up with this combo and gotten something so good?" My answer, "us fat, hungry people can be damn creative when we have to be".

Thanks to whoever came up with recipe. It will definitely be included in my future breakfast plans. Can't wait to try some other fabulous concoctions that I've found here.

For anybody out there reading the recipe and saying "YUCK". Well, remember what your Mama used to say. You don't know until you try it.

You won't be sorry! I'm not!.

Enjoy and egg-free breakfast for a change. Pork Rinds DO A BODY GOOD!

kountrykit
Tue, Mar-02-04, 09:55
Ok I too tried this receipe...not really sure if I like it or not, not sure if I made it right it almost tasted like when you eat a omlette. I am not sure if it was done or not but I didn't see the closeness to french toast. The syrup I made was awesome however. Any clues anyone if I had the right taste :confused:

kittysf
Sun, Mar-07-04, 13:39
life is not over, i can have french toast.

i tried the frenchtoast recipie. ohhhhhh my!

delish. this will be a sunday staple on the diet.

Yess
Mon, Mar-08-04, 15:42
WOW!!! I tried this recipe today and I absolutely loved it!!! I was so skeptical to use the pork rinds for french toast, but I'm glad I did!! I had mine with butter and it was awesome. I think I will head to the store and buy some low carb syrup and try this again tomorrow!! :)

small2004
Tue, May-25-04, 09:11
Well I am goiong to try it today. I' am adding vanilla Butter & nut Flavor to them I let you know the out come.

small2004
Tue, May-25-04, 09:27
Well knowone could have told me that diteing could be so good. mummmmmmm.

Happie
Sat, Jun-19-04, 08:02
I have never made the pork rind recipe, but I make a "french toast" omlet. I love it! Just add vanilla & cinnamon to the beaten eggs. When done, add butter & SF syrup. I roll it up and add more butter & syrup to the top.

VGRAY77
Sat, Jun-26-04, 07:46
Have tried this several times now and all I can say is, this is great. I've read that some people had problem with this recipe. I would like to suggest that they try different brands of pork rinds. I have three brands to choice from and they all taste different in this recipe. Also make sure that the pork rinds are very finely crushed, a blender does work best. If you do not use a blender place the rinds in a large zip lock bag and crush them with a rolling pin. Once the rinds are mixed with the wet ingredients they need to soak for that 3 to 5 minutes, I also go at least 5 minutes. If you feel they have a pork taste just serve them with bacon or sausage, take a bite of that first. Hope this is of some help.
:wave:
Vic

yim_30
Sat, Jul-03-04, 08:57
Just wondering, I like in Asia and am not sure what pork rind is. Thanks :help:

VGRAY77
Tue, Jul-06-04, 10:16
Pork rinds are deep-fried, chip size pieces of pork skin. They are also known as “pork skins”, “pork scratching”, “pork cracklings”, “chicharrones”, “chicharon or “bacon rinds”.

amgarry
Mon, Jul-12-04, 04:26
hi - I've just found this website today and have spent two hours reading the posts here. Love what I'm reading - thank you!!

In particularl, I'm looking for a french toast recipe that doesn't contain pork rinds - can anyone please help?

BlitzedAng
Tue, Jul-13-04, 14:21
I made this for my kids using the cinnamon pork rinds :lol:

They liked it.

brit-girl
Sun, Jul-18-04, 13:29
Add me (and my SO) to the growing list of positive remarks for this recipe!

Tried this morning and had a good result. I used Fat Free Half and Half instead of heavy cream and added 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract. I crushed the pork rinds and then added to the liquid mixture, crushing up any large bits with a fork. I ended up adding a tablespoon more of half and half to thin out the final mixture a bit (since I didn't measure the pork rinds exactly).

Cook easily and fast! Didn't taste exactly like traditional French Toast to us, but who cares! This one is a keeper! Looking forward to experimenting with some of the variations mentioned throughout this thread: Garlic & Parm bread, cheese bread, sandwich bread, etc. :)

cococarby
Sun, Jul-18-04, 14:37
The last time I bought Vanilla Soy Slender soy milk I noticed a recipe on the back for french toast:
I don't remember it exactly but basically you milk an egg with some of the soy milk and add cinnamon, soak a piece of lc bread in it and then fry on a non-stick cooking pan. I tried it the other day and it was fantastic! They also reccomment topping it with whipped cream and strawberries.

I do imagine you need a farely "hearty" slice of lc bread for this to work out nicely though. I used Natural Oven's Golden Crunch bread (the best lc bread EVER), only 3 net carbs... thick... crunchy...delicious!

cococarby
Sun, Jul-18-04, 14:37
Sorry, you don't "milk an egg", you MIX an egg. :)

VGRAY77
Mon, Jul-26-04, 13:58
I add 1/4 cup canned pumpkin, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and 1/4 nutmeg to the basic recipe. After the batter thickens up I add a little water and whip to a consistency that is easy to pour. They came out very fluffy and light, making four 4" pancakes. My wife and I split these most mornings.

underjoyed
Sun, Aug-08-04, 21:08
I can't wait to try this. I've never used pork rinds for cooking..actually I've never eaten them at all. Something about them being fried pig skin or fat has always kinda grossed me out LOL....but I'll try it if it means I get to have something that resembles french toast!!

zedneser
Thu, Sep-02-04, 06:42
:thup: Thank you so much for this recipe. My DH and I were getting tired of the monotony of eggs for breakfast. I made these for breakfast this morning. The french toast was really good and DH didn't know they were made with pork rinds until I told him after he was finished. Next time I will try to make the batter in the blender so its smoother (I should have finished reading all the posts b/f making it :read2:)

DebbieQ
Sat, Sep-04-04, 06:51
silly question maybe, but how/what do you do with the pork rinds? i mean, assume you cut them off the bacon and then fry them? Help?
Cheers
DebbieQ

DWRolfe
Sat, Sep-04-04, 07:09
I don't know where you live, Debbie, so I'm not sure if this will make sense. But in the States, pork Rinds are all ready processed and are sold in bags next to potato chips and such. Here in the States, you can find them in grocery stores and quite often in convenience stores. They are a crispy treat!

For this recipe, or to use in place of bread crumbs to coat foods, just take a bag or two of pork rinds and pulverize them in a food processor. I like to do several bags at once at keep them in an airtight container in the fridge. Then just use them as I need them.

I also season mine with garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper. But not those that I'm using for French Toast, of course! ;)

Steve175
Sat, Sep-04-04, 07:37
:daze: I thought you guys were crazy with this one. :daze: I had tried cinnamon and Spenda on pork rinds and thought it was disgusting. But this is phenomenal! It tastes great! I didn't have the cream on hand, so I used my Land O'Lakes w/Spenda 'aerosol' instead, but I think I got the same results. :yum:

DebbieQ
Sun, Sep-05-04, 11:20
hi, I'm in thu UK. Didn't see them today at the tesco's, but I'll keep looking

lynnp
Mon, Sep-20-04, 20:23
I haven't read all the pages in this post, so I hope I'm not asking a question already addressed. The recipe mentions pan frying the french toast. Has anyone tried this in a waffle iron? Is it possible?

Nakkira
Wed, Nov-17-04, 09:22
I decided I was going to pig out today and made 2 pancake french toasts. Not wanting to spend 4 bucks on sugar free syrup I decided to make "stuffed french toast". Just mix about 4oz cream cheese, 1 stick of butter, a tsp of vanilla and splenda to taste; spread it between layers of the french toast and voila! yummy =) Serve it up with a nice heaping of whipped cream with cinnamon sprinkled on top. Bah, who needs syrup?!

NoBREAD
Sun, Nov-21-04, 07:47
I want to try this recipe. It sounds good

I have some sugar-free syrup. It says it says 12 grams of carbs with 11 grams of sugar alcohols. Does this mean it has 1 net gram carb? And would this be OK in moderation?

NoBREAD
Sun, Nov-21-04, 16:40
I did try this and was very pleasantly surprised.:yum:
It was a cross between french toast and a pancake.

I did use the sugar-free syrup, but only a very small amount. This recipe is definitely a keeper!!

ree4987
Mon, Nov-29-04, 12:10
as a newbie here, I was looking for something different. How great were these!!1 I had stopped using syrup on my pancakes long before I started low carbing. However just some butter, splenda and a little cinnamon and WOW. I can wait to make this for my husband.

amdevelish
Sat, Dec-18-04, 18:43
I have found that the wal-mart brand pork skins are INCREDIBLE for this recipe - they seem to taste less "porky" then other brands I have tried! I like to grind mine up in my food processor to nearly a powder, it seems to fluff them up better and those lil hard buggers are easy to do away with! I also like to add just a touch of Davincci's SF Vanilla Syrup to the batter *YUM!* I make these nearly every weekend as a special breakfast treat for myself, I have found that they keep very well in the refridgerator (they don't hang around long enough to try freezing them :yum: ) I usually wrap mine in saran wrap then stack them in a good tupperware container and store them in the cripser!

TVMichelle
Fri, Jan-07-05, 21:25
All right, all ready! You win! I'm convinced these are the greatest things since sliced bread! I've read through the entire thread and I'm going to make these - will try the Wal-Mart version that was suggested, as it is less "porky." But no one ever answered the question as to where to find the CINNAMON pork rinds that a couple of people had raved about. Anyone have a brand (or a store) where you can find cinnamon pork rinds?

(And seriously, thanks to all of you for your thoughtful comments - it's really helpful.)

Michelle

astrocreep
Sun, Jan-16-05, 00:18
The pork rind french toasts are pretty gross. If you're gonna eat french toast and want it the LC way just buy some good LC bread or 100% wheat bread and do it the tradtional way. Best way in my opinion and most tastiest!

Noura80
Fri, Feb-25-05, 10:53
I wanna try out this recipe so bad cos I'm sick of eating eggs as a quick breakfast before I go to work. I can't eat pork so is there any other substitute to the pork rinds?

Giasbash
Sun, Mar-06-05, 15:31
Ok, on my diet I EXCLUDE all the high fat products like, cream and stuff, so my mock french toasts consists of: Ezekeil Bread(you can get in in the freezer secetion at WHOLE FOODS, or any organic grocery store)
Egg Whites with one whole Egg
rice bran(2 schoops)/or rolled oats(1/2 c.)

Then I mix the egg and rice bran mixture together and dunk the bread in it and them put it on a skillet that was sprayed with PAM.....then I let it cook and top it off with SUGAR FREE syrup....Its amazing and really satisfys!!

Gailew
Sun, Mar-06-05, 17:36
I made the FT this morning for the first time. I used some of Karen Barnaby's mascarpone balsamic cream on them. (I had it in the fridge, and no sf syrup). WOW! A new favorite treat! It was truly wonderful! I'm going to the first post now to read the history of this amazing recipe...

Gailew
Sun, Mar-06-05, 17:39
Oh, I thought someone said the amusing history for this recipe was in the first post???

missymagoo
Fri, Mar-11-05, 00:25
i might have to try this one. sue

Karen
Fri, Mar-11-05, 02:02
Oh, I thought someone said the amusing history for this recipe was in the first post??? It was Colin that said Wa'il shared the story with him.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost.php?p=365932&postcount=16

Wa'il used to live in Vancouver and we would all get together for coffee, great dinners and potlucks. I don't recall overhearing the story. :)

Karen

DJ Jayito
Fri, Mar-11-05, 11:14
Pardon me if this has been posted, already. I am new to the forums.

I don't know how many other people get sick of having eggs for breakfast nearly all the time. I do. I mean, I will switch it up, a bit. Scrambled, fried, omelet (different kinds). But an egg is an egg is an egg, when you have it this often. I came up with a new breakfast that I rather enjoy. I don't have it all the time, but on occasion, it's a nice treat.

I take 2 slices of atkins sliced white bread. I will make a french toast batter.

2 eggs
a splash of heavy cream
a splash of pure vanilla extract
a dash of cinnamon

Mix that up really well with a fork or a small wisk.
Soak the 2 slices of bread in that mixture until full absorbed; flipping the bread every so often.
Cook in a skillet with butter (I use medium heat)
Serve with your favorite brand of sugar free syrup
Top with grandulated splenda, if desired

To me, that will break the boredom of eggs.

colinjn
Mon, Mar-14-05, 12:58
Hello all,
The story behind the " french toast" is that Wa'il found it on a site that listed it as one of the grossest recipes posted on the internet. It got posted here as a joke, and became a hit!

To each their own.

Colin

seesah
Sun, Mar-20-05, 11:52
All I have to say is YUMMM! Looks like pancakes & has the consistancy of french toast. It is the absolute best recipe I have ever come across for "batter"! I made 2 "french toasts" w/the batter & used the Log Cabin sugar free brand. It says 1/4 cup= 12carbs, but the whole 12carbs=12 sug.Alch. so "0" net carbs...right? Correct me if I am wrong, although I didn't end up using all 1/4 cup of syrup, I still counted it as at least 1 net carb.

It all hit the spot & was very filling!!! Love this recipe!!! :thup:

TwilightZ
Sat, Mar-26-05, 21:26
Then I mix the egg and rice bran mixture together and dunk the bread in it and them put it on a skillet that was sprayed with PAM.....then I let it cook and top it off with SUGAR FREE syrup....Its amazing and really satisfys!!

Oh, that's really nice and natural. Do you really think the human body knows what to do with PAM? And Sugar Free syrup? Yes, that's something your physiology has evolved to metabolize. Ezekiel bread? That's not processed? Not what I would call paleo. You're really off track.

GinaLeanne
Sat, Mar-26-05, 22:09
I wonder what 1 1/2 ozs of pork rinds equals to be in cup measurement?? thanks...Gina