PDA

View Full Version : Organ Meat?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

suzib4ut
Wed, Sep-28-05, 09:27
Forgive my ignorance but what are some examples of a common organ meat, other then liver? I was reading about atkins and it said to limit organ meat to 4 ounces per day. Also is there any organ meat in ground beef or sausage?

Thanks for the Help

Suzi (still learning ) : )

Jr8Fan
Wed, Sep-28-05, 09:37
Gizzards and hearts are organ meats.

When you buy ground anything, I am skeptical about what they may put in it. I would ask the meat market manager about what they grind to make their hamburger. Sausage, they probably have shipped in already made.

mary_low
Wed, Sep-28-05, 09:55
Sweetbreads, chitlins, calf brains, kidneys, haggis, giblets, tripe, scrapple, head cheese, and tongue. Gross! All of these are actually eaten in some parts of the world, and all contain organ meats.

I don't think any grocery store in America sells ground beef that contains parts. Regular pork sausage shouldn't either, but link sausage is encased in intestines. That probably doesn't count towards your organ meat quota, though. I don't eat link sausages, but that's just my personal preference. Andouille sausage can contain organ meat, but unless you're buying it in Louisiana from a Cajun, something you get in the grocery store most likely won't. I actually had andouille sausage and head cheese when I stayed in this cabin owned by Cajuns in Louisiana. It was an interesting experience, but I haven't eaten it since.

Liver is the most commonly eaten, and actually is in some things I like: Braunschweiger, Rumaki, and Pate. I see you're from East Tennessee. I live in Middle Tennessee, and have family in Knoxville, Kingsport, and Chattanooga. I don't think you'll have any trouble with accidental consumption of organ meats.

Good Luck,
Mary

mary_low
Wed, Sep-28-05, 09:58
I just saw your name. If you live near Knoxville, you should have no worries about organs. I was there last weekend, and I know it's not rural at all. Places in the country are where I would assume they would be more likely to sell organs.

suzib4ut
Wed, Sep-28-05, 10:10
I dont eat any of those things but didnt want to assume anything. I do live in Knoxville and feel pretty safe with what ground meat I do buy. Thanks Again

mary_low
Wed, Sep-28-05, 13:56
Am I the only person who said "EWWW!" when they read the notation about organ meats? I can't imagine how anyone would have a problem with limiting their organ meats to 4 ounces a day. To each his own, I suppose.

foxgluvs
Wed, Sep-28-05, 14:04
LOL I love a bit of Liver - yummmy, but the other stuff you can pretty much keep!! ugggh

Dodger
Wed, Sep-28-05, 14:50
Sweetbreads, chitlins, calf brains, kidneys, haggis, giblets, tripe, scrapple, head cheese, and tongue.
Tongue is a muscle, not an organ.

mary_low
Thu, Sep-29-05, 07:24
Dodger,

It was included twice in Wikipedia's listing of OFFAL or organ meats also known as entrails. You can take it up with them I suppose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offal

Mary