PDA

View Full Version : Canned veggies

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Ninui
Wed, Sep-28-05, 09:05
I'm about a week and a half or so into Atkins and doing pretty well. I have been drinking tons of water, which is much easier than I thought it would be, and eating baby spinach salads for a good part of my veggies. The thing is, yesterday evening I made my salad, tried to eat it and realized I was so sick of fresh spinach.....it was all I could do to choke it down.
My question is, I have a pantry full of canned veggies, green beans, asparagus, and of course, spinach which I have aays loved to eat even cold, right out of the can. As long as I keep with the LC veggies, am I getting any nutritional value from using these as my daily veggies for a while until this aversion to salad type veggies passes?

Mandra
Wed, Sep-28-05, 09:16
Not my area of expertise, but I think canned veggies are fine. I think their main drawbacks are that they are not as nutritious as fresh or even frozen (apparently frozen are almost as good as fresh), and often have a high sodium content which will make you retain water so it looks like you're not losing weight.

Jr8Fan
Wed, Sep-28-05, 09:23
I rarely eat salads. My digestive system is intolerant of too much raw lettuce and I get the....er...um...ah....."runs". :o I always eat green beans, asparagus, cooked cabbage, turnip root, rutabegas, and collards. I do just fine.

BeccaResRN
Wed, Sep-28-05, 15:28
I eat canned green beans, asparagus, spinach, turnip or collard greens...etc the only problem I could for see is that I love geen beans with bacon and a little onion sooo much I could eat a whole can or 2 sooo since there are carbs per serving not per truckload of green beans I try to watch and not eat too many but I usually eat a nice large sized serving and this has not caused me problems...Good Luck

zorra_1
Wed, Sep-28-05, 20:32
I get tired of salads too. Although I do try to get in at least 1 salad a day, I supplement that with canned green beans, frozen broccoli, frozen cauliflower, and frozen spinach. If you're worried about sodium, I would drain the canned veggies, fill with water and then drain again.

black57
Wed, Sep-28-05, 22:25
Canned veggies are just fine. Congrats on your loss, girl.

Ninui
Thu, Sep-29-05, 08:52
You guys are awesome....thanks for all the help