PDA

View Full Version : Getting restarted on Atkins

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Kat999
Mon, Sep-26-05, 16:26
Hi, I've been on Atkins before and was even a patient at the Atkins center in NY. They are gone now, unfortunately or I would be going back there for help.

I had twin boys in December 2004 and I am now done nursing. I am trying to get started lowcarbing, because my weight is going through the roof! I did very well when pregnant...had to eat lots of carbs because my metabolism just burned everything up. I didn't gain much, and lost all of it after the boys were born. Then my weight started creeping back up....I started with 100 lbs to lose before I was pregnant, now I have 100+ to lose.

I keep vowing that I will restart the plan, but I don't seem to be able to stick to it for even a few hours. I would appreciate any and all ideas that you can give me about getting restarted. It's very depressing not to be able to keep from eating carbs. I clear the cabinets of carbs, and then I go out and buy some more partway through the day. I know WHAT to do...just can't seem to make myself do it.

I'm very tired of not looking my best and not feeling well. Add to that sleep deprivation and you can understand that I need help! I went looking for my old list, the Stone and Spear list, and they seem to be gone. I subscribed, but no messages come through. So I am here to find inspiration and get restarted.

Kathleen
282/282/150

JaneDough
Mon, Sep-26-05, 18:15
Congratulations on your beautiful family, and finding your way back to Atkins! Tons of support here, whether you have 5 or 500 to lose. The only thing we can't give each other is motivation; that has to come from within. But I imagine when you look at your babies and imagine the things you want to do with them, you'll find what you need to get through the day. Welcome to the boards. :)

brentsmom
Mon, Sep-26-05, 21:05
Welcome to the forum! A great way to start is to begin a journal. Make a point of using it as a food diary of sorts where you have to be accountable to the others on here for your eating. We don't have anything to lose (except weight) and strive to be honest with each other about things, such as "you're eating too much cheese - trying cutting back", etc. It's definitely a start and a way to make yourself accountable to someone.

Good luck and welcome! ~Amy~

Kat999
Wed, Sep-28-05, 13:25
Thanks Amy and Jane. I keep saying, "Tomorrow I will be good." But I keep putting off tomorrow. I guess I just have to say, I am starting right now. And dig out my old Atkins Center diet plan and re-read it.

Starting a journal is a good idea...I think I'll do that. Can people who are not subscribed view it?? Just wondering who will be reading it.

saracidal
Thu, Sep-29-05, 00:01
why does it seem like when we look back it was SOOOO much easier the time b4. i am faced with the SAME struggle. it has been an uphill battle for me over the past 2 years. im affraid to share my story. im affraid that maybe if i read it all myself i will see how messed up it is. between my health, and my weight issues. i guess i am just scared. -=shrugs=- or maybe i NEED to post it on here, maybe thats part of my problem, is letting go of my past and rebuilding for my future. but reading your post. hit home for me. its like there are days that i cant make it even a few hours. and i have the BEST intentions. and i have done atkins b4. heck i went from 285-135on atkins. but i WAS down to 90lbs and now back up to 136.5 and due to health reasons i need / want to be back down to about 115-120 and to maintain. i just cant seem to do it. want an atkins buddy? im sorry if it seemed like i was taking your thread it wasnt my intention. i guess i got excited a little since i felt i could relate. and i guess if you would like a partner i wouldnt complain :D

Kat999
Sun, Oct-02-05, 18:37
Hi Saracidal. Sorry it took so long to answer..life is so busy.

I took a look at your pictures and I have to tell you that my favorite was the one where you were standing with your boyfriend and looking up at him. It was an in progress picture and I thought you looked fabulous!!

Don't get too thin...you look beautiful with some meat on your bones!

It is hard to start again. Doing the MYPLAN has been helpful over the last few days. It's a bit timeconsuming, but I just try to fit it in where I can and it's really made me aware of where my extra carbs are coming in. I'm talking about the extra carbs that didn't come from chocolate or cake or being bad in some way...I'm talking about the healthy carbs that keep me from losing. Like baby carrots. I think I ate 20 carbs worth, and I have been doing that every night. Amazing. So that went. And my supposed "low carb" cereal had 40 grams. 40 GRAMS!!!

saracidal
Mon, Oct-03-05, 00:00
oh no worries doll. i dont want to be back down to 90 that was not healthy for me. i want to be back around 115 120. with my rapid (30lbs in 3weeks) weight gain due to insulin resistance. i gained it all in my stomach and with the menopause and pcos, and fibro, etc. i would like to take some of the weight off since i am a higher risk for type 2 diabetes. i am scared.
i used to keep a fitday log. havent done that in FOREVER. but i think i will try and keepup with one on here. cuz somehow i am losing at the moment but i am NOT in ketosis. but i know my carbs are not NEAR where they were last week b4 i started back on atkins. but being a week into it now i feel better already.
oh and the guy in the pic... dont give him that much credit.... hes NOT that LUCKY...he's my ex lol..... he had his chance lol... but it was more of a progress pic..... i used the pic with him because he was some guy i dated for a couple weeks after me and my serious BF broke up after and on and off again serious almost marriage. and i didnt want to use that pic.... but i would rather someone confuse me and HIM as together then that dip$hit lol......

Kat999
Mon, Oct-03-05, 05:42
Oh good, I'm glad you will not get that thin again.

I thought you were in your 20s?? Menopause?? You have fibromyalgia too? My mom has that. I have PCOS too. It sucks. I had to take metformin to get pregnant. The doctors would probably like me to take it now too, but I'd rather lowcarb and deal with it that way, since I need to lose weight anyway.

saracidal
Mon, Oct-03-05, 23:50
i am in my 20's. (i am 25). i went to see my dr almost 2 weeks ago and he did a series of tests and told me i am not producing estrogen. i have not had a cycle for about 11 months either. he told me that i am going through menopause. he said he could start me on low hormones. but i decided to take my chances and see if it will start on its own now that i am taking my eating alittle more seriously. so we will see what happens.

did you know that PCOS could go away with weight loss? that was something i did NOT know. so that was another reason for my taking atkins back up. seems the eating healthy and staying in the less weight rangeopposed to my once 285 deff has its perks. im trying to avoid any more meds at the moment. no more poison thank you very much. im on ENOUGH already -=snickers=-

Kat999
Tue, Oct-04-05, 11:15
Wow...you are so young to be going through that. I'm really sorry. If he gives you estrogen, will it keep you from going into menopause or is having kids out of the question?

Sorry for the personal questions...you don't have to answer if you don't want to. My PCOS meant we had to get some help to get pregnant, hence the twins instead of one. But you know what, after knowing these boys I really believe more than ever that God has plans for us all. Can't imagine not having both.

I hope the doc is wrong and your cycle starts up again. You're too young for all this.