PDA

View Full Version : Hello. I need guidance

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

broker71
Mon, Sep-26-05, 12:45
I am new to this and would like some input from anyone who is following the Adkins program- or any other low carb program that works. My doctor wants me to lose weight and I don't know where to start. He said I need to go low carb, so I guess Adkins may be the way to go. I have done Weight Watchers before and lost 15 pounds in 5 weeks on it. I stopped following the plan and gained it all back plus some. I am 5'2" and tired all of the time carrying around this 167 lb. body. I used to weigh around 120 when I was at my happiest. I feel like a prisoner trapped inside myself! Someone please help me. I don't have alot of will power, but I am ready now to make a change. I just don't know how to do it! Thanks.

4beans4me
Mon, Sep-26-05, 12:52
My biggest piece of advice is to get the Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution book. It has everything you need to know in it. :) Here you will get wonderful support and answers to your questions as the arise, and don't forget to check out our wonderful recipes forum!

Welcome to the forums and best of luck! :wave:

Jr8Fan
Mon, Sep-26-05, 13:11
Welcome and good luck! I agree that you should read the book. It is wonderful at explaining why Atkins works. Then you can know whether or not it is the plan for you. Consider yourself lucky! You have a doctor who supports lo carb! How wonderful to have a doctor who is up to date on the latest studies on low carb. He obviously keeps up with the new info.

Be sure to post here often for any questions you have. You can also go the official Atkins site on the web. It has a lot of good info there too.

Looking forward to seeing "less" of you soon!

Annabel33
Mon, Sep-26-05, 13:15
Yes, definitely get the book and have a good read.

As a quick guideline to get you on your way, there is no sugar at all allowed on Atkins. No flour, no processed foods containing wheat or with a high carbohydrate content.
You can however,eat rather well on fresh meat, fresh fish, eggs, cream in your decaff, (no caffeine) and butter for your eggs etc.
Eat mayonaise and blue cheese salad dressing ... as long as it's full fat.

So, here's your day maybe:

Breakfast: A protein meal...
Scrambled eggs
2 strips bacon (canadian style stuff)

Snack:
Piece cheese
or
Rolled up meat (roast beef) with mayo on it
or
Hard Boiled egg

Lunch: Protein and vegetable.. (but only low carb veg)
Fish with salad, plus dressing
or
Chicken breast, diced over lettuce, cucumber, peppers with dressing etc

Snack - if you need one mid afternoon

Dinner:
Again a protein plus low carb veg ...
Nice steak with some zuchini cooked with a little butter .... Some cream sauce for your steak is acceptable too ..

That's just to give you an idea but you've certainly got a good doctor and I'm sure you'll flourish on the Atkins.

I really hope you enjoy it here. The support is fantastic.

Let us know if you've got questions after you've read the book.

x

broker71
Mon, Sep-26-05, 13:34
thanks for your response. Looks like you are doing a super job with your weight loss! It's good to know I have someone like you to help me!

broker71
Mon, Sep-26-05, 13:36
Thanks for your response. Good to know I have you here for support and questions along the way. Hope to talk with you again in the near future.

broker71
Mon, Sep-26-05, 13:41
Hi. Thanks for your response. Good to see you folks are so supportive on this site. I look forward to hearing from you again the months to come. By the way I am from NC too!

Annabel33
Mon, Sep-26-05, 13:48
Hey , well get on with it and enjoy ... You got nothing to lose but weight!!!

Jr8Fan
Mon, Sep-26-05, 13:53
Well then! Welcome neighbor!!!

ssofian
Mon, Sep-26-05, 17:20
Welcome and good luck. I haven't tried anything other than Atkins for low carb eating, but based on what I've seen on the boards there are alot of different low carb plans that people follow with success. It is just a matter of finding one that works for you that you can follow and live with. Some are strickter than others obviously. Personally, I need the structure of Atkins.

It's wonderful that you've got a Dr. who's supportive of low carb.

Good luck!

taranq1
Tue, Sep-27-05, 20:14
We are just about the same height and weight. I felt really good at 145. Yes, I use to weigh 110 pounds in highschool and 124 pounds before my 3 kids. I started Adkins (2nd time around) on August 15th. I have lost rather slow, in my opinion, but hey I'm getting there. Down 12 pounds in 6 weeks. I do not really like eggs all that much, so I have string cheese for breakfast. As long as I keep my diet varied, I seem to do pretty good. I had hot wings for dinner tonight and green beans cooked with 2 pieces of bacon. I know what you mean being trapped in this fat body. I have all these cloths hanging in my closet that do not fit me...Hang in there..you can do this!

Tara

pdxcutie
Wed, Sep-28-05, 03:35
Welcome to the forum:wave: