PDA

View Full Version : TOM question & depo shot question

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Bpenrose
Mon, Sep-26-05, 08:44
I'm hoping that someone has some info on this. I went off my depo provera shot about 6 months ago and didn' t get my monthly bill till about 3 weeks ago it was an easy one and over in about 5 days in this period of time I lost about 6 lbs and was in my first week of induction. So my bill is gone and all of a sudden I start to gain my weight back 1 lb a day , eventually gaining it all back. So I,ve been really discouraged ,anyhow Iwent to work this weekend and surprize my bill came back this one is a doozy and god knows how long this is going to last because I think the depo shot really messed me up. Anyhow what I need to know is has anyone else ever experienced this? and how much weight do women typically gain during there tom? Last time I was on the diet I wasn't getting my bill because I was on the shot and I lost weight fine now the scale wont budge I feel like I'm doing this for nothing!

witchy
Mon, Sep-26-05, 08:55
I came off depo November 2004 - I'm just now getting a regular cycle of every 23-25 days, lasting 3-4 days (prior to that, it would be anything from a few hours to a week). So it can take time to get yourself sorted. I went for regular checkups and they kept telling me it was perfectly normal for osme people to have an unsettled cycle for anything up to two years after coming off depo.

Plus, weight loss affects oestrogen levels which can send your hormones and cycles all over the shot anyway.

As for weight gain... well, in my case it's mostly water retention but I can 'gain' up to 10lbs just before. Once it starts, it drops off. I just have to keep active and drink lots of water.

If you're really concerned about it, maybe keep a log for 6 weeks and then go to your doc for a check up.
HTH

cnmLisa
Mon, Sep-26-05, 08:56
Menstraul irregularities and the use of Depo is pretty common knowledge in the OB/GYN community. Generally it can take anywhere from 3-6 months for your period to get back to where it was before Depo Provera. For some people there can be a 6-18 month lag in return to fertility (if you are planning to conceive). In terms of regularity of your period--I would ask you were your periods regular before you started using Depo Provera?? Your periods usually go back the way they were before using it. Weight gain during TOM can vary with each individual with the average being 3-5 pounds, but I have heard report upwards to 10 pounds. Hope this helps a bit. Good luck. You may also want to see your health provider and have a thyroid screen.
Lisa

Bpenrose
Mon, Sep-26-05, 09:11
I went off the depo shot because my husband got a vasectomy. And my periods were always regular so I'm hoping soon they will go back to normal. Idon't think I have a thyroid problem though because I only gain weight when I'm pregnant, with both my kids I went into a slump and ate so much with my 1st son I gained about 70 lbs and with my 2nd about 100lbs. I'ts probley a good thing my hubby had that vasectomy for my weights sake!

erinleigh
Mon, Sep-26-05, 09:32
You weight can change depending on how your body handles water retention. I some times only gain three pounds other I will gain 8-9 pounds. You can never be sure, it changes all the time. As for the depo, when I was younger I took the depo shot, I gained alot of water weight after I stopped doing it, I really thought that I wouldn't but, I did, my periods would change every month or even weekly... its your body almost cleaning itself, it took me around 7 months to get my period to be regular again.... my friend it only took her two month, it changes with your body!

Don't worry, you'll get through this and one of these days you'll look down at the scale and see a whoosh!:)