PDA

View Full Version : Is this happening to anyone?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

WildCherry
Sun, Sep-25-05, 21:13
I have been going through a rough time lately. Family problems and such. I gained 11lbs back. Because I am a compulsive eater. I eat when I'm stressed, and when I'm not hungry. Does anyone else have the same problem? :help: I really hate the fact that I gained so much weight in 2 weeks. I really wantd to be 180 by october. Does anyone else go through this?And if so how did they overcome it?

penelope
Sun, Sep-25-05, 21:28
I am the same as you are with stress eating. When I am organized, I find that exercise on my treadmill is the only way to relieve my stress. It sound's easy but often, simple things are the solution.

mlk18sHuny
Sun, Sep-25-05, 21:29
It takes a lot of conscience effort for me to remind myself to not eat emotionally or out of boredom. Lately instead of just sitting down in front of the tv, I do laundry at the same time or dishes or the like - something to keep my hands busy so I don't think about eating. If it is more emotional for me, I go to the gym to throw in a workout (I'm more aware of what I'm putting in my body when I'm working out regularly) or go in the bedroom (read: away from food) and vent to my DH.

I don't think I have overcome my food issues by anymeans, but I know I am on the right path. I also wanted to get down to under 190 by my birthday (Friday), but I don't think that is going to happen anymore. I was upset at first, but I still know that I'm doing what is right for my body and the weight is still coming off.

I hope this helps?!?!

WildCherry
Sun, Sep-25-05, 23:10
thanks for all of your help:)

Here lately I've been going through a time where I don't feel like doing anything. I can't even keep my attention span for more then 10minutes. I don't know whats wrong with me.I guess it happens though. Oh well. I'll just have to work on it a little more.

Thanks again. :agree:

penelope
Mon, Sep-26-05, 07:40
I am glad you are bringing this up. Two years ago I was under a lot of stress and a few months later I realized that I could not have a gentle daydream just to unwind it went to a point that I could not focus on anything more than a few minutes.
I was sure that I was suffering from depression but I was afraid to see a doctor because when I thought, “Oh my God I am depressed” it would make me cry. I was afraid to cry in the doctor office, well I had to go and he was so understanding and fast he started me on the lowest dose of Effexor XR and I stayed on it for ten months I could have got off after 6 months.
Think about it and do a search on the web sometimes even irritability and anger hide a chemical imbalance in the brain, all you need is to even it out and after a while you are as good as new.
Good Luck to you.
Pene

Jr8Fan
Mon, Sep-26-05, 07:58
WildCherry, Have you read Dr. Phil's book....The Ultimate Weight Loss Solution? I read it several months ago. I ignore his diet advice because it sounded all too familiar and didn't work for me. I do Atkins now. However, back to the point.....I am a compulsive eater and my biggest problem is during times of stress. His book is EXCELLENT at helping you begin to control emotional eating. It made a HUGE difference for me. You might want to borrow it from someone or buy a copy.

I went to his website and although it is a good website but it doesn't have much information.

WildCherry
Mon, Sep-26-05, 15:00
I am on effexor as well. It seems to do the job but sometimes there is depression that is uncurable no matter how much medcine you take.I am having money problems,baby sitter problems,and my best friend killed herself last week. I have been dealin with alot. I'm totally stressed...I promised myself I'd wake up with a good start this morning. but the first thing I did was open a regular coke,and eat something sweet... :bash: :cry: I'm not sure how I can overcome this but you know...

Thanks for your help everyone.I would read dr phils book but for some reason that guy annoys me so much that i'd end up using his book as paper for a fire. I don't know..

penelope
Mon, Sep-26-05, 15:19
I am sorry life is down for you, I am sorry you lost your friend.
Diet wise,tomorrow is another morning and another start.

Where do you want to be at next year?

You know some mechanics talk about taking your car out on the highway to clean the engine after driving it city slow.
I think human bodies are the same you have to make your body do something and taking it for a walk if it is safe in your neighborhood or go up and down the stairs ten times. You need a change of pace to break out of this negative shell.

amyg7710
Tue, Sep-27-05, 06:56
I read Dr. Phil's book too and I agree, it's EXCELLENT for that type of thing. I'm actually thinking about reading those sections again because it really motivated me and helped me alot.

honeybee31
Tue, Sep-27-05, 07:57
I would like to say I am sorry for your loss. I know life can get you down. I myself have been dealing with a compulsive overeating problem since childhood. It is hard but managable. I get up every morning and try to think of all the good things in my life and what I have to be grateful for. Try not to dwell on the bad things. I lost my grandmother, grandfather, and mother within a year and a half and feel into a deep depression. You have to decide to live again if nothing else for your kids (you said you are having babysitting problems so I assume you have children). Some days are harder than others but just remember this diet is much more forgiving than any other. If you binge just binge on legal foods...you might not lose but you shouldn't gain...just try to retain some control. I have been thru a rough spot myself these last few weeks and I haven't lost a pound but I didn't gain either. Good Luck!

Jr8Fan
Tue, Sep-27-05, 08:24
I read Dr. Phil's book too and I agree, it's EXCELLENT for that type of thing. I'm actually thinking about reading those sections again because it really motivated me and helped me alot.

Me too amyg! I am rereading to make sure I keep on track. :)

JasmineH
Tue, Sep-27-05, 12:56
Another day, another chance to be healthy. Don't give up!

Sue L
Tue, Sep-27-05, 12:59
I am a stress eater as well. One thing that I find that helps is instead of reaching for a snack when I feel bad---is to drink some water and take a brisk walk. The water helps curb food cravings and the exercise actually helps me feel less stressed. My willpower doesn't always help me that way, but it is what I strive for.
~sue

KATE1125
Sat, Oct-01-05, 15:18
I'm a big boredom eater myself.....any suggestions for a really boring desk job?

penelope
Sat, Oct-01-05, 15:52
I find that a hot drink like Green Tea or Lemon in hot water keeps me from the running munchies after finishing my meal.