PDA

View Full Version : Protien powders OK for induction?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

lonewolf
Sat, Sep-24-05, 19:15
I'm not new to LCing, but a friend of mine is and asked me this and I wasn't sure. I searched, but didn't really find an answer.

Are the soy and whey protien powders OK for induction? She wants to use the powder for adding to stuff like Bowl Muffins and shakes. (i make my bowl muffin with vanilla designer whey and atkins bake mix).

According to the Atkins website, the Bake mix is OK for induction, and it seems flax meal is ok for induction, but i couldn't find the answer about the protien powders really. There's soy and whey protien isolates in the atkins shakes, so i'd assume it's ok in small quantities - not too much, like most other things.

thanks guys

BeccaResRN
Sat, Sep-24-05, 20:55
I couldn't find any specific refernece to protein powders in my Atkins book but they allow Atkins protein shake mix, so i think it would be fine. I personally had protein powder in the form of a shake mix, not Atkins brand, everyday during induction and lost fine. I think as long as you are not overdoing it and make sure you are eating real and whole foods and not just treats I think you will do good.

lonewolf
Sun, Sep-25-05, 17:28
Thanks. That was the same conclusion i came to. I told her to give it a shot, and see how she did. If it stalls her, to cut it out again.

hollabell
Thu, Sep-29-05, 04:53
Hey, I don'nt know about protein shakes but i have been doing the powder carnation breakfast in the morning with the low carb milk, and i am full all day. I have been on sice monday and lost 9 pounds. The the shake including the milk is a total of 15 carbs. I have been doing 25-30 carbs a day and it seems to be working.

DABIGDAWG
Thu, Sep-29-05, 05:33
Good morning all!
Just so ya know there is a brand out call ISOPURE many ver. falvs to choose from and it taste G R E A T !!( MHO)
Basic info 0 carbs, sugars, when andded w/water not to highh in cals and if Iam not mistaken 0-2 fat tops and the best part...50g of protein 2 scps
That is great if ya what high protein !!
Hope this helps....

Laura W
Thu, Sep-29-05, 05:52
What kind of protein is Isopure? Soy? Whey? Where can it be purchased? Healthfood store? Thanks for the info.

Rocky1
Thu, Sep-29-05, 05:54
There is also a brand of pure whey protein isolate called "ZERO CARB" by VPX Sports....sells in 2 lb. and 4 lb. jugs...The Graham Cracker flavor is awesome. Also look for ISOPURE by Nature's Best.....50g protein, 0 carbs per serving.

Rocky1
Thu, Sep-29-05, 05:58
To find a variety of "zero-carb" proteins, check out http://getbuf.com or http://bulknutrition.com . They have some of the best prices and are fast on shipping....and no, I'm not affilliated with these sites, I'm just a consumer.

Rocky1
Thu, Sep-29-05, 06:04
Oh, and one more thing.....what can you do to your protein shakes to make them thicker and creamier without adding carbs? XANTHAM GUM! It comes in 8oz. bags made by Bob's Red Mill.....available at health food stores and Kroger. Its a thickener that does not contribute calories (net carbs 0) that when mixed with a cold liquid, makes it extremely thick and smooth. Just about a half teaspoon, 8 oz water, 5 ice cubes, protein powder, blend on "high" for 1 minute...PRESTO!....tastes better than a milkshake!