PDA

View Full Version : need support

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

psychnurse
Wed, Sep-21-05, 22:00
Hey all! I just found this forum tonight and I am so excited. I have struggled with my weight since my early 20's. During my teen years, I ate whatever I wanted and I really acquired a taste for carbs! Over the past 17-18 years, I have gained over 100 lbs. During this time, I have tried starving, slim fast, etc.. Nothing has ever really worked long term for me. I have began to realize that I need to change my lifestyle in order to lose this weight. I tried low carbing about 3 months ago and lost 15 lbs in about a month. I was feeling good. Then, I just started slipping back into the carb world and before I realized it, I had gained back all of the weight I had lost except for one lb. I know that one of my problems is a lack of support and I'm hoping that I will find that here. I think that this is one of the hardest things that I have done and I truly believe that I am addicted to food. I eat for the wrong reasons and have caught myself just eating when I'm hungry at all. I eat when I'm lonely, bored, sad. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to stay motivated?

dmdj4
Wed, Sep-21-05, 22:25
Hi and Welcome,

I'm very new to the site myself and was happy to find it because I am in need of support too. I think that my life has been very similar except I have severe arthritis (for the past 20+ years) and I have put on 100+ pounds in the last 4 years. I was on lots of meds prednisone etc. I ate when I was hurting or tired or just depressed and unhappy and feeling sorry for myself.

I've been low carbing now for 6 weeks and I have lost 26 pounds. There are times when I'm not hungry but it is important to eat the right foods even in small amounts through out the day especially starting w/breakfast.

I think the urge hits me because its just habit when I'm wandering and not focusing on a activity or purpose. I've been reading more and this keeps me occupied. I read everything, romance, feel good stories or just go magazine mad. Sometimes the atmosphere is important too. Out in the sunshine, park, beach or cozy place. I love to spend time at Borders in a comfortable chair (this also helps my budget - books can be exspensive and I enjoy a cup of tea or coffee and you might find that you meet interesting people too. All I can say is when you occupied you spend less time picking up something to eat. I've also started drink green tea (iced and hot) and I found this has also contributed to my increase of energy. It's inexpensive at the asian market and I just get Chinese green tea.

I've rambled "apologies", you'll hear from many helpful people here and I think your in for an easier time, so don't dwell take it one day at a time. :agree:

Have a blessed day.

psychnurse
Wed, Sep-21-05, 22:29
Thanks for the suggestions. Green tea sounds like a really good idea.