PDA

View Full Version : Switch to Weight Watchers????

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

UPMichigan
Wed, Sep-21-05, 19:26
I have been thinking hard about switching to weight watchers. I have 4 kids and I am having trouble making dinners that it for everyone without making more than I normally would. I know in theory this sounds weird but it is what I face everyday. The thought of moving off low carb is a scary one though. It is kind of like I am afraid to try something new because I have been brain washed into thinking life with carbs is like satan on earth. I am deathly afraid of gaining all my weight back...even though I know it may be a good change.

What do you all think?

Samantha22
Wed, Sep-21-05, 19:28
I am 100% pro lowcarb..however i'm also 100% for doing what works for you. Maybe you could work LC choices into WW? I think that there are others on the forum that do so. Remember...healthy choices are healthy choices no matter what plan you are on...and moderation is the same way. I'd say choose what works for you. Are you having difficulties because your family doesn't wish to eat the LC meals you fix? Or because you're trying to make two separate meals?

zorra_1
Wed, Sep-21-05, 19:38
Have you considered CAD? It's the one where you you eat LC for 2 meals and then have your Reward Meal. There's a place on here for people who follow CAD and I'm sure they'd be able to tell you more about the plan. Good Luck!

UPMichigan
Wed, Sep-21-05, 19:45
My family consists of my DH who is at goal weight thanks to Low Carbing...and 4 kids...ages 8, 6, 20 mo and 20 mo...my twins are in now way ready for a low carb way of life and the girls, I think, are a bit young for this. It is a demanding thing. I think with me...I want a little more choice...an english muffin and yogurt is a great breakfast for me as well as grape nuts and such...I want a large salad with a little chicken on top for lunch and maybe herb encrusted baked fish with whole wheat pasta w/ asparagus for dinner...to me that is how healthy people eat...I want to be able to stick with the lifestyle I chose for LIFE...and coming from a farming family...I am so used to eating veggies 24/7 that I am going crazy...

I have changed my ideas about eating in general thanks to low carb...I will not be eating white rice, raw sugars, or refined flour of any kind...whole wheat and whole grain all the way.

Thanks for the place to vent.

Samantha22
Thu, Sep-22-05, 20:57
I think you've got a good plan in mind...sounds like a mix of both....we should all stay away from refined sugars etc no matter what...and you've got a great idea about healthy eating. i say if it works for you, go for it.

sadair
Fri, Sep-23-05, 00:22
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Eating a high sugar diet as promoted by big business (Because they make lots of money out of it) is dangerous and will either kill you through heart failure or diabetes.

Its the biggest con of the 21st century that eating this way is natural and healthy.

DONT DO IT

ojoj
Fri, Sep-23-05, 01:53
I've got 4 kids and my OH and have never had a problem with mealtimes, either they eat what I eat, occasionally with pasta, rice or potatoes or I eat what they eat without the pasta rice or potatoes - it works fine.

Since I started Atkins, we all tend to eat fairly low carb anyway (I'm the cook!!). I've banned chocolate, cakes, biscuits, crisps etc (special occasions only), but theres always fruit, cheese and yogurts around for snacks.

BeccaResRN
Fri, Sep-23-05, 07:10
Hello,
Well i have done Atkins, Weight watchers and CAD at different times in my life. I think many different diets can work for different people and maybe at different places in their lives. Atkins for me works fast but I can't eat with my family. i'm not hungry very often but I miss having my favorite foods.

Weight Watchers I was hungry a lot, for me I tested high on CAD's carb addict test, If I at cereal and milk for breakfast I was starving by 10am, same with yougurt and english muffins.

On Weight Watchers I thought food all the time and often at night I was physically hungry and had nothing left I could eat for the day, I also lost weight slowly, I got to my goal of 136 and maintained for 6 weeks to become a lifetime member and celebrated that day by leaving meeting and going to Taco Bell. For me weight watchers was a diet, and I hung on till goal and then I was done. I also hate fat free stuff like mayo, dressing etc...so.

CAD for me is the perfect combo. You eat smaller low carb meals for 2 meals usually breakfast and lunch then eat a balenced Reward Meal for me at dinner, so I can keep hungry and cravings at bay and still have the treat I want with dinner and have dinner with my family. I lost slower with CAD but it definetely feels less like diet to me and more like way of eating for life.

Just my input :)

black57
Fri, Sep-23-05, 07:36
DH cooks meals to work out for the whole family. For example, he'll cook a roast and asparagus. He will also include a potato or bread for everyone else. This effort has added more veggies to the family's overall diet. Now I admit, I will taste a mouthful of someone's potato or what have you. Over time and with effort we have been able to get around any dietary conflicts. I even have to hide some of my low carb foods from my mooching kids.

Ilovedogs2
Fri, Sep-23-05, 07:56
I have been on weight watchers twice using the points plan and I also was starving to death.I Have never felt as in control ( most days!!!!!) as i have since being on atkins. Why is mealtime such a struggle? I usually prepare roast chicken, steak or grilled pork - a vegetable dish - and some kind of starch for the rest of my family (because my husband and kids love rice and potatos) just so we are all basically eating the same thing. whatever you decide good luck to you . have you ever been on weight watchers before? If so how did you feel while you were on it? There is a lot of room for processed foods in that particular diet,so weigh (no pun intended!!!!) your decision carefully.

KAREN X 2
Fri, Sep-23-05, 10:19
I was the only one eating LC in my family for a long time - hubby has since joined me. I kept a George Foreman grill on the counter all the time and grilled myself a meat for dinner while I was cooking for everyone else. I kept frozen veggies in the freezer and would steam them in the microwave. Cooking my food took much less time than everyone else's, and I only cooked enough for myself.

Yes, it can be a pain to do a little extra, but you are worth it!

Jr8Fan
Fri, Sep-23-05, 11:12
My hubby in no way lo carbs (6'4" and 158 lbs.) but he loves this WOE. He said I have finally found a diet that has regular food in it. I cook a meat (pork chops, steak, hamburger, chicken, etc....sometimes with BBQ sauce on it) and add a couple of low carb veggies (mostly snap beans, squash, zuchini, turnips, brocolli, collards, cabbage, rutabegas, asparagus) and add a starchy item and a whole wheat bread for him. I just skip eating the whole wheat bread and starchy item and we are fine. I cook one meal and we eat basically the same thing.

He does not get desserts unless he gets them elsewhere.

Forgot, he and my 11 month old son share fruit at dinner most of the time. The baby eats whatever dad is having and will also have Cheerios or Corn Chex which are General Mills Cereals. All General Mills Cereals are now whole grain.

Samantha22
Fri, Sep-23-05, 11:42
i got to thinking this morning, about a post you said about gerowing up on a farm and eating alot of veggies and missing that.....why aren't you eating alot of veggies. Aside from potatoes and a few others...theres really not alot you can't eat.

UPMichigan
Sat, Sep-24-05, 10:29
Wow...there is a whole lot to respond to...

#1...I think it is harder to make meals cause I do not give the babies fish...scares me cause they are allergic to almost everything...so I usually cook 2 meats for dinner, there is also the fact that one twin won't eat veggies as with my oldest daughter, the other 2 love them, the twins do not like pasta unless it has cheese on it and they throw rice everywhere. Husband is in Maintenance...he eats an entirely different starch at dinner than the kids...and me...I have meat, hot veggie and cold veggie...that is just one meal...not including all the allergies I did not mention.

#2 As for the farm...a normal day for me would be 10-12 tomatoes, fresh kale and cauliflower and whatever meat dad made...with lots of potatoes and homemade bread. I can eat most of the veggies but not in the quantity I love so much. Cause the carbs are too high!

#3 I have never been on Weight Watchers and think I was just getting frustrated with cooking so many meals a day. This is the breakdown for my day...

6:30 A...Girls Eat Breakfast...get ready 4 school
7A...Hubby Breakfast and COffee
7:30 A...Twins up for B-fast...girls to the bus
8:00A ...Clean Up Twins....
8:30 A...My B-Fast
9:00 A - 10:00...Playtime
10:00 A...Baby snack
10:30 A...Naptime
11:00 - 12:00...Clean and workout
12:00 N...Babies Lunch and My Lunch
12:30-2:00...Play/Clean
2:00 - Baby Snack
2:30 - Make after school snack
3:00 - Kids home
3:30 - Dad home for dinner on long days (12:30 or 1:30 on short days)
4:00 - Start Family Dinner/Clean up Hubby Dinner
5:00 - Family Dinner
6:30 - Finish Clean Up/Baths 4 all kids
7:30 - Evening snack/Warm Milk
8:00 - Kids Bedtime....WOO HOOO

See I am cooking all day...and the snacks are usually dehydrated fruits or granola baggies that I make each week.

Whew I am tired already!

THanks again!

4beans4me
Sat, Sep-24-05, 12:15
I have four children and a DH as well, and I've found what works for me is to cook 1 batch of something for myself, and reheat it for dinners during the week. No fuss. No extra clean-up. :)

girlThang
Sat, Sep-24-05, 12:26
You're just doing so well, so far...if you tried Weight Watchers (which I HATED and couldn't lose weight on) and it was unsuccessful, could you move back to LCing?

That's always the hard part. It's so easy and convenient to grab a bagel or english muffin etc. But quantity AND quality are important... and so is your health. Trust me, I'm riding that particular rodeo right now; you're worth it.

ProfGumby
Sat, Sep-24-05, 12:49
My hubby in no way lo carbs (6'4" and 158 lbs.) but he loves this WOE. He said I have finally found a diet that has regular food in it. I cook a meat (pork chops, steak, hamburger, chicken, etc....sometimes with BBQ sauce on it) and add a couple of low carb veggies (mostly snap beans, squash, zuchini, turnips, brocolli, collards, cabbage, rutabegas, asparagus) and add a starchy item and a whole wheat bread for him. I just skip eating the whole wheat bread and starchy item and we are fine. I cook one meal and we eat basically the same thing.

He does not get desserts unless he gets them elsewhere.

Forgot, he and my 11 month old son share fruit at dinner most of the time. The baby eats whatever dad is having and will also have Cheerios or Corn Chex which are General Mills Cereals. All General Mills Cereals are now whole grain.

I gotta wonder about that, how can something be whole grain when it is ground up? I bet they mean they start with whole grains.

Dodger
Sat, Sep-24-05, 13:04
Speaking of whole-grain foods. I just came across this article (http://www.beyondveg.com/cordain-l/grains-leg/grains-legumes-1a.shtml) that explains the reasons that whole-grains should not be a major part of the human diet.

Sue L
Sat, Sep-24-05, 14:02
Ii can understand your frustation when your children have allergies.
Have you thought of making some meals ahead and freezing them in a "once-a-month" fashion?
That way you could have some meals frozen and ready for you when you can't have the main meal or some meals frozen and ready for them when they can't partake.
I would go so far to suggest if you are frustrated with the great amount of cooking you do, you might want to consider this whatever plan you are on.
Look on gooogle for "once a month cooking" or "oamc" and find recipes useful for either you as low carb or your family.
Here is a link: once a month cooking links (http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2005-25,GGLG:en&q=once+a+month+cooking)

Good luck with whatever plan you choose!
~sue

nawchem
Sat, Sep-24-05, 14:37
You're cooking for 3 different diets and your a busy, busy mom, atkins is a pretty flexible and easy and its working for you.

I think casseroles and the crockpot are the way to go. Have you tried the deep dish pizza, if you didn't tell anyone its diet food they would never figure it out. Add some easy to cook vegetable, a salad.

I love Saving Dinner by LeeAnn Ely the LowCarb Way. Its 26 weeks of family dinners with things you can add in for non lowcarbers. Makes life easier when the planning is done is for you.

This maybe why I'm single. :lol: If hubby wanted a different meal I would show him where the kitchen is.

JaneDough
Sat, Sep-24-05, 15:49
Contrary to what one poster suggests, WW is not necessarily a high-sugar diet; it was a high-sugar diet that got me to WW! I had a lot of success with it, but as others have said, one may need a greater degree of conscious control than with a plan like Atkins, where I sometimes have to remind myself to eat. With WW, I had to remind myself to stop eating, and realized I needed something stricter during my next campaign if I was going to keep the weight off.

Check out the WW website, and see if their plan would really alleviate your kitchen chores, or possibly add to them. The suggestions to cook and freeze your own LC meals ahead of time is great advice, though. Best wishes.

moonglow22
Sat, Sep-24-05, 19:14
:wave: I know many many people who have had great success with weight watchers. I was not one of them however :lol: It required WAY to much thought for me.....trying to figure out the whole point system. I was very successful on a low fat diet (lost 90lbs) but I was ALWAYS starving. I went to bed hungry and woke up hungry. I went from starving to slightly less hungry. I was actually very biased against LC for a long time, but after gaining some weight back with my last pregnancy, and having a hard time stepping back into low fat (hungry thing again), and seeing a few people have such success with LC; I decided to try it. Now I am totally in love with this WOE. Sure, on low fat or WW I could have pasta....but the serving size was like half the size of your palm. I can't eat that little and be satisfied! Now I'm eating things that I once banned and I'm feeling so great. Feeling even better watching these clothes getting smaller! In fact one of the DR's I work with asked me if I could start bringing double what I eat to work so that way he can eat what I do :lol: . After this whole long winded tirade the jist of it is this.....any "diet" will work.....but only if you can stick with it. If you go to WW; will you be able to stick with it? Are you going to be satisfied? Is it going to make you feel good? Hope this helps with your decision :) Moonie

Jr8Fan
Sun, Sep-25-05, 05:38
I agree Moonglow22. WW was way too much thinking for me too. Atkins is just so simple! I get frustrated with a lot of counting and figuring. Don't get me wrong, I do put my food in fitday and weight my portions occasionally to keep myself honest, but as long as I am losing, there isn't much to figure and plan for me on Atkins.

UPMichigan
Sun, Sep-25-05, 09:41
Thank you all for the great input. I am thinking of buying a large freezer for the long winters up here so I wont have to grocery shop so often...the cooking ahead for a month sounds like a great idea.

You all are real supporters...you've convinced me to stay low carb!

caroldiff
Sun, Oct-02-05, 23:14
I stick to plain meats, low carb veggies, salads and my husband always gets his peas, corn, pasta, potatoes or rice. If I am feeling left out I shredd cauliflower for my potato and cook enough to last a few meals. I eat the toppings off pizza with salad and am perfectly full. I only like home made cookies so he eats packaged ones and his m & ms that I can easily avoid. My cupboard for low carb has gradually become full and I have many choices to fill in the blanks. Instead of thinking what you can't have, think of what you can. I think there are many choices lc for me. The way I feel and the overall weight I have lost is worth everything.

Judynyc
Mon, Oct-03-05, 07:12
Thank you all for the great input. I am thinking of buying a large freezer for the long winters up here so I wont have to grocery shop so often...the cooking ahead for a month sounds like a great idea.

You all are real supporters...you've convinced me to stay low carb!

Good choice!! :agree:

While I was never able to succeed on WW, I do know that they now have their "core plan", which is a list of foods similar to South Beach, where the foods are unlimited, proteins and veggies I think. Then there are points for things like fruit and grains. I would not try it mainly because I have no desire to go to their meetings.

Your days do sound packed with lots of work for you. With a little better planning, you will hopefully find that you have more time on your hands. That big freezer is an excellent idea!! :thup:

Pebbles67
Wed, Oct-12-05, 15:31
I just wanted to add that Weight Watchers is a fantastic program! BUT for me I wasnt satisfied. I was losing just about 2lbs a month. Too slow to be faitful. Low carbing is so much better for me. I can actually SEE the difference each week!
I have four sons and a husband. I usually do what a few other posters said. I cook my food in advance and eat with them.