PDA

View Full Version : swollen feet?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

BreanneB
Sun, Sep-18-05, 11:51
Hi everyone. I just started Atkins about a week ago. I have done it before in the past so I know it works. Anyways, I have noticed that usually late at night, if I have been sitting for awhile, my feet start to get a bit swollen. I figure I am adding alot of salt to my diet with all the meats and bacon and hard boiled eggs (can't eat em without salt and pepper).

The only other time in my life I have dealt with swollen feet and ankles was duirng my pregnancy. So in other words, this has never been a problem for me in the past and I was wondering if any other low-carber newbie is experiencing this? This didn't happen when I was on Atkins in the past....

Also, sometimes my right leg gets a bit tingly when I have the swollen feet...

Does this sound like it is attributed to Atkins or do you think something else is going on?

Thanks,
Bre

black57
Sun, Sep-18-05, 20:08
Mmmm, it is hard to say but we normally lose a good deal of water during the initial stages. It doesn't seem, to me, to be something attributed to low carbing, especially if you haven't lost anything. I suspect something else is going on. But we all experience the first few days differently.

MeBLady
Sun, Sep-18-05, 20:18
Hi everyone. I just started Atkins about a week ago. I have done it before in the past so I know it works. Anyways, I have noticed that usually late at night, if I have been sitting for awhile, my feet start to get a bit swollen. I figure I am adding alot of salt to my diet with all the meats and bacon and hard boiled eggs (can't eat em without salt and pepper).

The only other time in my life I have dealt with swollen feet and ankles was duirng my pregnancy. So in other words, this has never been a problem for me in the past and I was wondering if any other low-carber newbie is experiencing this? This didn't happen when I was on Atkins in the past....

Also, sometimes my right leg gets a bit tingly when I have the swollen feet...

Does this sound like it is attributed to Atkins or do you think something else is going on?

Thanks,
Bre

I agree with Black, that it probably isn't LCing that is causing the problem....but swollen feet is almost a sure sign that you ARE retaining water, and it is most likely due to excess salt, since you say you are eating more.

Do what you can to decrease your salt intake. You can buy bacon with less sodium, use salt substitutes, buy unsalted butter, etc. Load up on your water, and keep your feet elevated at the end of the day. If you still have the problems in a few days, I would see a doc.

Other things to consider....are you exercising or taking any medication?

Dodger
Sun, Sep-18-05, 22:29
Bre,

There is an interesting article that describes what to do about fluid retention here (http://ezinearticles.com/?Fluid-Retention:-How-to-Solve-This-Problem-With-Water&id=58298)