PDA

View Full Version : LCing and birthcontrol pill

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Lulu11
Fri, Nov-30-01, 14:45
hey girls, I have been struggeling with not loosing weight for a while and am trying to look into every aspect of my diet and making adjustments, one thing I'm wondering though is, could the Pill have anything to do with stalling? I'm aware that atkins strongly recommends not taking any meds, but i can't stop this one. has anyone run into this issue?

Susan19
Fri, Nov-30-01, 16:00
Hi Lulu,
I am also wondering if it is having an effect on me. I *think* I remember reading that the reason for it is the estrogen, but I could be wrong...and, since I am on a particularly low-estrogen pill I don't know if I can really blame it or not :)
Anyone got some good info?
Susan

pinkcaddy
Sat, Dec-01-01, 10:57
I don't have any scientific evindence just personal experience. When I stopped taking the pill I lost a lot of water and noticed that I felt less sluggish and less "warm" all the time. This gave me more energy and I felt better about myself, ie rings were not tight and I felt better after eating.... I wonder if there is a yeast / estrogen connection.... I have no idea.

Ruscod
Sun, Dec-02-01, 11:39
I think we are all right about this one. I've been stalled for months and I've tried just about everything to get going again. I really think it has something to do with the Pill. I know someone that recently stopped taking the Pill to try and get pregnant. In the time it took her to get pregnant she lost quite a bit of weight. She was doing LC. I've just about talked my husband into getting "fixed" so I can stop taking them. I've been so depressed lately because I barely eat any carbs (less than 15 a day) and nothing works. Last night I ate a big hunk of peanut brittle (bad me) and my husband was shocked. I told him I'm just getting tired of trying! I did the very strict induction for the last week and all I lost is one pound. :( This week I'm gonna try to add some more carbs and see if that works. Wish me luck.

juicyjacki
Mon, Dec-10-01, 20:13
hi guys - i have been lcing since september, everything was going good till i started taking the pill 2 months ago, then i went on a complete slowdown.

I am taking the mini pill, which my doc said it should not cause any weight gain 'especially for someone in your shape'.

It was only recently that i noticed that it contains Lactose, which we all know is sugur. I know its only a little amount per day, but i am due to renew my prescription at the end of the month and i am wondering if there is a non-lactose alternative.

I will ask my Quack when i go and let you know if he has one

odd sock
Mon, Jan-28-02, 20:55
Through my own experience, I too have had unwanted gains from the Pill. The packet says that there should not be any weight gain, but that the hormones may want one to eat more!
Sure, blame the patient to avoid any responsibility. Amazing how the pharmacutical companies can make such a sweeping judgement...
But what can you do?
Is there any solution, or is it a catch-22? (If I am off the pill, I will lose weight, therefore being more attractive and having more sex! Hahhahahaahaahaha! Just kidding.... i have lots of sex now!)
Seriously though, is there a pill that wouldn't be detrimental to weight???

Deirdre
Mon, Jan-28-02, 22:30
I lost 40lbs while taking the pill - Ortho Novum 7/7/7. Probably another thing that varies with the individual and maybe the type of pill.

animaldoc
Wed, Feb-27-02, 09:04
I have been on the pill since I was 17 (dare I admit that 's been 11 years) for primary dysmennorhea (cramps) and my weight has gone up and down since that time, but not because of the pill! I lost weight while LCing on two different pills (Demulen and LoEstrin).

I definitely can't stop taking it!

-animaldoc :wave:

Hils
Wed, Feb-27-02, 09:50
Hi folks, I just read about other people's problems with the pill and I just had to add my own gripe about it.....

I am supposed to take the pill because I have a low oestrogen level and so I'm worried about osteo-porosis (I don't know how you spell that!) when I'm older.

BUT I found that when I took the pill (even though it was the lowest oestrogen one available in the UK) I gained weight (though the doctor tried to tell me that it was because I had a bigger appetite and so was eating more!!) - so I stopped taking it and after about 3/4 months (that's how long it takes to get out of your system) I miraculously lost about 18 pounds :) (down to what I think is my ideal weight of 126 pounds).

I knew that I needed to take the pill though and so last August I decided to try again and to really be careful that I didn't start eating more. I definitely just ate the same as usual but I again put on weight :( (up to about 145 pounds by October!). So I stopped taking it again and started Atkins (which it seemed worked for just about everyone else but not me!).

Then in January (3/4 months after stopping the pill) I was frustrated with Atkins and so started doing a kind of low fat version.. I don't know is that was responsible or if again I can blame the pill but I suddenly lost about 12 pounds within a week.

Some one suggested :idea: that a progesterone only pill would not have the same effect on my weight - though it wouldn't solve my oestrogen problem - so may be that might be an alternative for some people ( :exclm: I don't know what it's side-effects are though because I've not looked into it).

Anyway whatever the reason for my weight roller coaster I definitely won't be taking the pill again!! :daze:

spongebutt
Sat, Mar-22-03, 19:05
I gained 20 pounds on the pill. UGH!

I went from 159 to 179 in a matter of a few months. I still lost weight while on it, it's just harder.

BC pills/patchs/shots make your body think you're already prego. That's why there's weight gain. All those extra hormones. yay.

But I'd rather have the patch or pill because I know 3 women who gained 40-90 pounds in less than 6 months on Depo.

Right now I'm on the Patch. I like it because it's so easy to remember to only change it once a week.

I don't like it because: (1) Weight gain. But only a little.
(2)It shortened my cycle to 21 days. I'm a regular 28 day-er when I'm not on BC. So that stinks.
(3) When it comes off, it HURTS! That stuff has Super-Glue or something on it.
(4) There's only a few places (like maybe 3) that you can put it. Here's a tip...don't wear it on your behind if you're going to wear black underpants. It turns the extra glue around the edges black. (That's embarrassing to admit!). It looked like I tried to tattoo myself.

nitrovixen
Wed, Mar-26-03, 23:02
I'm on the pill too, and I think it's a big part of why my weight won't come off! I'm also on a diuretic and anti-depressants (which I am weaning myself off of)
Initially I lost about 15 pounds last summer on LC, then stalled for a few months than started eating less and really watching it and lost 5 more. I went off the LC dietover christmas and then back on it. I have lost my water weight and no matter what I do, I can't break the barrier! I weigh more than I did last summer when I ate less. I'm so tempted to go off the pill, diuretics, and of course the anti depressants. I know there are a lot of alternatives. I've been interested in the ring, but I think it is also hormone based. There's always rubbers... but they don't seem like enough to me. Plus, I am on the Pill to control my hormones because of an imbalance. I know there is a way out though.. I guess till then we'll keep losing slowly or stalling. :(

Sheri

Misa
Fri, Mar-28-03, 06:49
I'm also on the Pill. I can't remember really not being on it, so I don't know if it caused added weight gain or mood swings, but I do know that it stopped the horrid bleeding for my PCOS.

Luckily, however, I'm getting fixed, uhm, a tubal ligation (a week from today!) and then 3 weeks after that, I plan to go off the pill.

I've heard that low-carbing helps with PCOS but if it doesn't work, I'll go back on it.

spongebutt
Fri, Mar-28-03, 09:23
I think my weight gain was half pill, half bad food.

I know it's been harder for me to lose on bc. Not really hard, but still....

Misa
Tue, Apr-08-03, 08:56
I was reading an article on this the other day, and women have a tendency to eat more when on the pill (thier appetites are bigger)... but I've known some who've eaten exactly the same way as before (detailed food logs) and gained a couple of pounds.

I'm beginning to think it is half and half.