PDA

View Full Version : New but concerned

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

KDavis
Thu, Sep-15-05, 18:24
I lost (and maintained) a good deal of weight several years ago using the low carb approach. I got off it because my doctor said it was very bad for women because your body using calcium to digest protein. I didn't have a great bone density test... so I got off low carb. Now I'm the fatest I've ever been in my life! (And that includes 3 pregnancies!!!)

I'm back on low carb... but I am concerned about calcium. Any words of wisdom?

Thanks,
Karla in Georgia

Rosebud
Thu, Sep-15-05, 18:34
Hi Karla,

I'm afaraid your doctor is a little out of date, and, not to put to fine a point on it, just plain wrong. ;)

Research shows the opposite to your doctor's belief to be true. Have a look at this site:
Her studies show that when protein is given as meat, subjects do not show any increase in calcium excreted, or any significant change in serum calcium, even over a long period.5 Other investigators found that a high protein intake increased calcium absorption when dietary calcium was adequate or high, but not when calcium intake was a low 500 mg per day.6
http://www.westonaprice.org/mythstruths/mtbones.html

Just make sure you get sufficient calcium, either by supplementing or through your food intake - cheese, sardines, salmon etc.

HTH :)

Rosebud:rose:

zorra_1
Thu, Sep-15-05, 19:08
When I was eating high carb foods, I think I was not hitting the calcium requirements. How much calcium is in a doughnut?!! I supplement with a multi-vitamin and a calcium tablet. If you're eating cheese that would be a good source. Also, I've read that many vegetables contain calcium.

Diane4
Thu, Sep-15-05, 19:45
:wave: Hi and welcome! If you are concerned about calcium, maybe taking a calcium supplement might help alleviate your concerns. Good luck you your weight loss journey!
Diane

black57
Thu, Sep-15-05, 19:52
Graceful me walked passed a piano and brushed my foot against the leg. Nothing should have happened to me so why did I pop out my knee. Damn, I was in so much pain. Well, thanks to workman's comp, I got to go to the company's emergency health care facility. I had xrays taken of my knee. The first comment the doctor made was that I had outstanding bone density. There was no sign of injury at all. However, my nerve endings would say otherwise. At my age the first thing they look for is weakening bones and I had none. I have been a low carber for nearly 3 years.

JohnGibson
Thu, Sep-15-05, 22:12
Karla,

I can't count the number of people who saw me when I lost 40 pounds with Atkins say I looked and sounded great but when they heard it was Atkins proceeded to tell me it was bad.

I know they mean well, but dang it... can they mean well and not try to trip something up that is successful?

I now simply tell friends that I am using a plan recommended to me by a doctor. (Well, Dr. Atkins is a doctor ;).)

We are rooting for you here.

John

Meg_S
Thu, Sep-15-05, 22:52
check out
www.paleodiet.com/losspts.txt
it's a good article on calcium loss, I agree with it although I would probably argue with the egg bit, and comment that if the milk is unpasturized then there is no problem with calcium.

nikkil
Sun, Sep-18-05, 07:10
Here's some info on food sources of calcium (ignore the non-LC aspects, of course). calcium foods (http://www.nysopep.org/pdfs/CalciumSources.pdf)