PDA

View Full Version : trying to diet... need help

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

danx213
Wed, Sep-14-05, 16:58
hi guys i was wondering how this low carb diet works... xP cuz i have no idea... and i've recently lost 40 pounds by just exercising and eating nothing but homemade sandwiches and salads.. but i want to lose weight more faster so.. i was wondering if anyone can give me some tips on reading calories, carbs, and all the other stuff... oh and also how much carb and calories should i stick to a day?

athensmom
Wed, Sep-14-05, 17:20
Go to the Atkins website and it will explain the basics.

danx213
Wed, Sep-14-05, 17:37
oh ok thanks

cs_carver
Thu, Sep-15-05, 11:27
The shelves at my library are full of the major plan books. Well worth a read--they'll explain way more than the basic ratios, and possibly even answer questions you didn't know you had.

good luck.

sadair
Fri, Sep-16-05, 01:21
This is a real basic overview, you really do need to by Dr Atkins Diet Revolution to understand this fully but in essence here's how low carbing works ...

The cells in your body need a substance called glycogen to power them. There is three substances that your body can convert into glycogen, first is sugar that we eat (And by sugar I mean all sugar molocules such as carbohydrate), second is stored body fat and third is alcohol.

As humans our natural food should be berries, meats, nuts and not big-macs and KFC.

When you eat lots of sugar your body releases insulin to stabilise the blood sugar and this has the effect of converting any leftover glycogen in your blood to stored body fat (Something that we have needed to do as a species for our whole history so we dont starve to death). The amount of fat you store is determined by the volume of insulin that your body releases (Hence some people never get fat)

If you take away sugar as the primary food source, and dont put any alcohol in your blood then your body has to use stored body fat - It has no alternative. The 2 day conversion of the body from using sugar to fat as energy produces the lethargy that gives low-carbing a bad name.

Another very important effect of eating loads of sugar is that your body is not used to producing huge amounts of insulin, so over the years your pancreas packs in and you get to be a type 2 diabetic - something that can kill you.

My personal view is the low-fat, high sugar dieting is one of the most dangerous ways of eating - You are eating yourself to death.

Anyway thats low-carbing in a nutshell - But as I say please go out and read the books as there is more you need to know.

danx213
Sun, Sep-18-05, 09:49
oh i see... well thanks alot