PDA

View Full Version : Thyroid Issues?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

truckgirl
Fri, Sep-09-05, 12:54
Any of you ladies experienced sluggish thyroid? What were your symptoms and how have you treated it? I don't want to jump to conclusions, so I'll just list my symptoms and listen to what you have to say: :)
1. Losing hair
2. Hard time getting out of bed in the AM, and sleepy in the afternoon, or any time I sit for an extended period of time
3. Body temp between 95.6 and 96.8

I've been LCing for about 3 years now, so I doubt this has anything to do with cutting out the carbs. :)

athensmom
Fri, Sep-09-05, 13:28
Your symptoms are certainly consistent with a thyroid abnormality but could also be caused by other things. I would suggest you call your doctor and get your thyroid checked, especially if you have a history of thyroid problems in your family. It can be hereditary.

The hair loss could be caused by LCing - I have heard this before. Are you taking a daily vitamin?

nawchem
Fri, Sep-09-05, 14:07
I would say yes those sound like hypothyroid. My other symptoms have been:

freezing cold, taking lots of baths to warmup
tendon or joint pain that comes and goes for no reason
heavy periods that lasted 1-2 days and came earlier than usual
dry skin where I had oily before
broken fingernails
thinning edge eyebrows
craving things to pick up my energy- caffeine and sugar
not doing anything I didn't have to do because I was always tired
couldn't remember my friends names
poor reflexes when driving
thought writing an email was a tiring activity

truckgirl
Fri, Sep-09-05, 14:31
The hair loss could be caused by LCing - I have heard this before. Are you taking a daily vitamin?
Yes, a multi vitamin/mineral with no iron, and also cod liver oil.

tethgirl
Fri, Sep-09-05, 15:17
Any of you ladies experienced sluggish thyroid? What were your symptoms and how have you treated it? I don't want to jump to conclusions, so I'll just list my symptoms and listen to what you have to say: :)
1. Losing hair
2. Hard time getting out of bed in the AM, and sleepy in the afternoon, or any time I sit for an extended period of time
3. Body temp between 95.6 and 96.8

I've been LCing for about 3 years now, so I doubt this has anything to do with cutting out the carbs. :)

I do have hypothyroidism, which is also causing Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and vice versa.

My symptoms are:

rapid weight gain even if I eat small quantity of a junky food.
fatigue
sleepiness
heavy periods
depression
muscle pain
thin fingernails

It would be good for you to take a blood test for your thyroid so if you have hypothyroidism to treat it immediately because it causes a lot of serious health problems. :wave:

saneatlast
Fri, Sep-09-05, 22:07
Truckgirl,

I had subclinical hypothyroidism (TSH 2.8) which went undiagnosed for over a year. I finally found a naturopath who realized that I needed thyroid. My symptoms:

couldn't stay awake at work in the afternoon
low temp
memory loss
cognitive function loss
depression
anemia
intolerance to cold
dry eyes
dry skin esp face
menstrual irregularities, heavy flow
dizzyness, lightheadedness
shortness of breath with exertion

Deborah

truckgirl
Mon, Sep-12-05, 13:42
Thank you ladies, for all your posts. It sounds like I was overreacting to a few little things I seem to have wrong with me, as I don't have many of the other symtoms you all mentioned. Thank you again for your help! :)

zorra_1
Mon, Sep-12-05, 16:55
That low body temp seems to be something I definitely remember from hypothyroid info. If you have insurance that covers bloodwork, I don't see what it would hurt! I bet it would be nice to have an explanation for the way you've been feeling. I have also been doing LC for about 3 years and never noticed hair loss until recently so I'm curious too.

Ayustar
Mon, Sep-12-05, 17:02
How do you do a test for thyroid? I seem to have some of these symptoms. Maybe when I go to a walk in clinic they can help me out?

athensmom
Tue, Sep-13-05, 15:35
You test for thyroid issues with a blood test. TSH is usually sufficient, although some doctors also test your T4 level.

tethgirl
Wed, Sep-14-05, 06:54
I am taking my thyroid test every 2-3 months to see how it goes and the doctors are testing my TSH, T4 and T3.