PDA

View Full Version : oral contraceptives

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Lolita24
Fri, Sep-09-05, 03:56
Is it true that birth control pills can work against you or considerably slow down your attempts to loose weight?

Pandora23
Fri, Sep-09-05, 08:15
Yes, however, this does not happen to everyone. You do not have a lot of weight to lose in the first place so things are going to move kinda slow anyway. The last 10lbs or so can be the biggest challange. If you do a search on this topic you should be able to find out some more info. Good luck!

cs_carver
Fri, Sep-09-05, 09:20
nothing compared to what pregnancy will do to weight loss!

(ANY hormone-based BC can have an effect--going to the patch won't fix this one, if that's your problem.)

athensmom
Fri, Sep-09-05, 11:33
The best birth control pill for lots of people concerned about weight gain is Yasmin - it has a diuretic effect for many people. If this does not work for you and you have already had at least one child, I would HIGHLY recommend the IUD. I have a Mirena - there are two on the market - Mirena and Paraguard. Paraguard has no hormones, can stay in for 10 years, but lots of people have heavy bleeding.

Mirena has some hormones but they are released where you need them so less in your bloodstream. It can stay in for 5 years.

Also, you might try the Nuva Ring if you have not had kids or are planning on having more soon. I tried that before I had my 3rd child and I loved it. Much better than the pill! You just put it in like a tampon and leave it in for a week, then switch it out. It will also release hormones where needed so less in the blood and presumably less hormonal side effects. I experienced no weight gain on the Nuva Ring - it was PREGNANCY that did this to me!!!!

truckgirl
Fri, Sep-09-05, 12:48
.........., I would HIGHLY recommend the IUD. I have a Mirena - there are two on the market - Mirena and Paraguard. Paraguard has no hormones, can stay in for 10 years, but lots of people have heavy bleeding.
I have had no pregnancies, but have the Paraguard non-hormonal, and I love it. I was on the pill before that and gained 30lbs. Since getting the IUD 3 years ago, losing weight is much more feasable and I haven't experienced any problems with it. The worse part was being "measured" for it, and the installation. But if I had the choice all over again, I would do the same. Good Luck!