PDA

View Full Version : Hellooooooooo everyone! I'm the latest "newbie"....

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

crckrs9
Thu, Sep-08-05, 19:19
Just started low-carbing Tuesday. I did this last year and was somewhat successful. Slowly got off watching what I ate and BAM! - back where I started.

I have questions for anyone that might have an answer... I go to the store and see a product from "Carb Options" - is that okay stuff to eat? I've eaten some low-carb bars and I think sawdust would've tasted better. Also, Blue Bunny (ice cream) makes a low carb bar with Splenda... I assume they are okay to eat too?

And the biggie... breakfast... I am not hungry when I first wake up and I go to work early. What is a good breakfast? Eggs would be okay but I am usually at work by the time I am ready to eat (breakfast) and if I used a hot plate and skillet at my desk, well, my boss might have an issue...

Thanks!
Mary :)

Noura80
Fri, Sep-09-05, 04:15
Welcome to the Forum!!

Now regarding your question about low-carb products, I say try to steer away from them as much as possible. Dr. Atkins told us to eat as much fresh LC food as possible. For me, and this is my second time, I don't buy those LC products no more. I know what they can do to me, so I stay clear & clean :D. But do keep a few things handy when you have those nasty cravings during induction. It's better to eat LC products than other "evil" stuff.

For breakfast, since you seem to be always on the go. I suggest you cook something ahead of time (like the evening before that) and then brown bag it and take it with you. There are of course atkins shakes that I really love but don't over-use them cos they might stall you. Also you can browse the forum for more ideas.

Kristine
Fri, Sep-09-05, 07:30
Hi and welcome. :wave:

Carb Options will also hit you in the wallet. Up here, they were charging five bucks for the ranch dressing. To save, what, 0.2 grams of carbohydrate per serving? :daze: To heck with that - I'll buy my store brand, which was always okay according to The Good Doc! I agree with you on the bars - I find them disappointing. The ice cream? I'd save it for special occasions. It's too expensive to binge on. ;) (Can you tell I'm cheap?)

I hear you on the breakfast issue. I have a cuppa cawfee or two, and I'm not actually hungry for two or three hours after I'm up. I assume you're looking for ideas for foods to take with you. Hard boiled eggs are an easy stand-by - they'll keep for a week in your fridge, so make up a bunch on the weekend. Quiche and precooked sausage and bacon are nice breakfasts, too. Nicer if you have a microwave at work, but not half bad cold, either.

Best of luck!

ssofian
Fri, Sep-09-05, 09:45
I will sometimes make an omelet, then put it in a tupperware-type container in the fridge until I am ready to eat it. Then I just need to re-heat it in the microwave for a minute or two and it still tastes wonderful!

My view of induction is that one of its goals is to wean yourself off of wanting the sweets and such. So if you can, try to at least hold off on eating them for the two weeks. You may find you really don't want them that much at that point. As Kristine said, use the ice cream products as a once in a while treat (maybe if you have company and everyone else is eating cake or something)...

DebN2005
Fri, Sep-09-05, 10:31
Hi Mary, :)

Welcome to the forums. There's a lot of wonderful people here.

I know what you mean about the breakfast thing. I take thyroid meds and have to wait an hour to eat. By that time I'm gonna be out the door. In fact I think this would be a good topic for the recipe request section. Since I need to know too, I hope you don' t mind if I go ahead and post.

Here's a couple of suggestions:

take boiled eggs

make an egg salad

make an omelet the night before and nuke it.

I'm not on every day, but keep me up on your progress. You can reach me by clicking the journal tab in this post.
Deb

Firedancer
Fri, Sep-09-05, 11:42
I just want to say welcome to the boards. You will find a lot of great people here with tons of information to help you on your lc journey.

In regards to breakfast, I generally am not hungry in the morning. I will workout and do my strength training and stretching and then my metabolism begins to role. After that, I just want to eat. So I have 16oz of water eat my breakfast of bacon and eggs and then some more water. I find that working out helps my metabolism move and then I get hungry.

Kimberly
Firedancer

Laydebleu
Fri, Sep-09-05, 17:06
Welcome to the Forum.

Sometimes when I am making dinner, I make enough for breakfast the next morning. Once you get past having only breakfast type foods for breakfast the possibilities are endless. I made a wonderful cauliflower and sausage recipe I got from my low carb cookbook and I had that for breakfast 3 days in a row. Sometimes I bring some left over steak and deviled eggs in for breakfast. I even had cucumbers for breakfast... I am trying to get some veggies in my morning meals... hehe. Check out the recipe threads here you might get some good ideas there as well.

I wish you great success on your low carb journey.

GlendaRC
Fri, Sep-09-05, 18:02
Another suggestion for pre-made breakfasts "on the run" is to make low carb sandwich fillings (tuna, salmon, egg salad, etc.) and make a lettuce wrap with them. Works for me!